What open headphones (no IEM and closed headphones) compete with Grados for Rock.
Feb 6, 2015 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I need an alternative open headphone.  I like mid bass and forward mids but the upper midrange and lower treble is too much.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 14
The LCD-2F, LCD-3F and LCD-X (heard them) are capable headphones, but not sure it competes with Grados for rock.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 14
I have Alessandro MS2, AD2000x and AKG K7XX, all I find are good for metal, that is the order I would rate them in. I've tried a lot of headphones and tend to keep the ones that are best with metal, always like the Alessandro and AT sound.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 14
  I need an alternative open headphone.  I like mid bass and forward mids but the upper midrange and lower treble is too much.

What Grado do you have, and how do you wear it? At first, in case you haven't tried it, is to wear them pushed slightly forward from your ears - have about 1/3 of the on-ear earpads on the joint of your lower jaw, instead of the rear of the earpads aligned with your earlobes and the drivers smack over your ear canals. That will also reduce the trident-effect on the imaging (or as some call it, "3-blob soundstage") where you have a strong L-C-R with weak signals between L-C and C-R.

Past that, try the HD600, but make sure to stretch the headband* to relax the grip as well as to get new earpads in case you bought them used with worn pads. Percussion still isn't going to be as eye-popping as on Grados like the RS1, SR325, and PS500, but it won't have the rating treble on the latter two either. Imaging is a bit more relaxed - instead of having everything seemingly just being thrown at you (more prevalent with the Prestige series, not as much of a problem with the Reference), which is helpful when you're listening to recordings with a lot of things going on like symphonic power metal.

*Stretch out the headband, as the circular shape of the metal frame has a too-tight grip (or too loose when you pull it out too far) that squishes the earpads and puts the drivers too close to your ears. Set the headband frame at the widest setting,one thumb in the middle then the other hand grips the earcup, then gently bend it to the other direction and hold it. Move the thumb closer to the earcup, then repeat. Do more stretches on the second location. Repeat until the headphone at rest looks like it's stretched over a a head, and revers if the fit is too loose. When I put on mine, I don't even stretch it anymore - I just push them backwards past my earlobes, but the rear of the earpads still need to rest on your skull.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 14
I want to reinforce adtrance... the "e" series of Grado are a huge step up across the board versus previous generations.

But mostly, you'll have to tell us more - which Grados do you have/have you been demoing?  What exactly do you mean by rock?  Meshugga?  Dire Straits?

I won't argue that sometimes Grados tend to be too harsh, but I also want to remind that, especially with aggressive sounds like on rock or squawky sax, your recording quality is going to help hugely with avoiding harshness.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 14
  I want to reinforce adtrance... the "e" series of Grado are a huge step up across the board versus previous generations.

But mostly, you'll have to tell us more - which Grados do you have/have you been demoing?  What exactly do you mean by rock?  Meshugga?  Dire Straits?

I won't argue that sometimes Grados tend to be too harsh, but I also want to remind that, especially with aggressive sounds like on rock or squawky sax, your recording quality is going to help hugely with avoiding harshness.

Not to be contentious, but the comments throughout this thread indicate that
while the "e" series does improve on certain models in the "i" series,
there is no concensus that "the "e" series of Grado are a huge step up across the board versus previous generations."

Note, for example, the comments with respect to the RS1i vs the RS1e.

(BTW I am a huge fan of Grado, and have been for a long time.) 
cool.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 14
I stand corrected!

The dealer I work for carries the Prestige and Studio ranges (iGrado through 325e, PS500e, PS1000e), and I would say among the two versions of those 8 models (actually, I don't believe the iGrado was part of the e-evolution, though I'm not sure), which I've gotten to hear back to back (e to i), for hours and hours and on a number of electronics setups, the improvements were comprehensive and clear.

I have not heard the RS series at all, in the i, and when, very briefly, I heard the RS2e, I was most certainly disappointed.

All this to say, my comments are not ignorant, but I admit my knowledge still has limits.  I appreciate the catch.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 14
I really enjoyed the DT 880 for rock, and for most everything in general. The 880 is a solid all rounder and I thought very good with rock. My Grado exposure is modest owned SR125, SR225i and an HF2.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 14
  I stand corrected!

The dealer I work for carries the Prestige and Studio ranges (iGrado through 325e, PS500e, PS1000e), and I would say among the two versions of those 8 models (actually, I don't believe the iGrado was part of the e-evolution, though I'm not sure), which I've gotten to hear back to back (e to i), for hours and hours and on a number of electronics setups, the improvements were comprehensive and clear.

I have not heard the RS series at all, in the i, and when, very briefly, I heard the RS2e, I was most certainly disappointed.

All this to say, my comments are not ignorant, but I admit my knowledge still has limits.  I appreciate the catch.

Very cool post

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 14
  I really enjoyed the DT 880 for rock, and for most everything in general. The 880 is a solid all rounder and I thought very good with rock. My Grado exposure is modest owned SR125, SR225i and an HF2.

I agree with you about the 880 - great all arounders.
Only thing is they need some good power to sound their best.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 14
Wildcard suggestion here:
Philips SHP9500

To me it almost sounded like a more balanced Grado, but full size, more comfortable and better constructed.
Not really sure why these aren't more popular.. probably the earpads can't be replaced or something, like the usual problems with the older Philips models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back