What on earth? (HP-5842-SE amp)
Apr 3, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #16 of 35
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...roduct_Count=2

hey, those wooden volume knobs don't come cheap.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #17 of 35
this thing weighs 16 pounds! Idealistically, I lust this thing. I'll take the knob for 200. But, my sarcastic mind says, "where's the guts?" the truth is in the guts. Unless I see the guts I'm thinking there's quite a bit of lead shot in this puppy.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #18 of 35
Its very frustrating to see a company build such a pretty amp, with audiophile features, then have that same company strangle it's baby in its crib by building it with only high impedence phones in mind. Where is the love for those whose tastes run to R-10s, L3000s, W2002s, and Grado HP-1s?

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
He said it was 899 to start and said the knob was 500 and the amp was 499, that's 999, not 899.

damn, med school really does destroy your math skills.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 35
If you're curious
biggrin.gif
, Nicholay, the guy who makes these amps is a member of the ipod studio and he told me he's happy to discuss it with anyone.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 35
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He said it was 899 to start and said the knob was 500 and the amp was 499, that's 999, not 899.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knobs? We don't need no stinkin' knobs...

wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by ipodstudio
If you're curious
biggrin.gif
, Nicholay, the guy who makes these amps is a member of the ipod studio and he told me he's happy to discuss it with anyone.

if you can tell him, or if he reads this, he should totally join and drop some **** on us. i can't wait to see to the tubes inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
quote:

Knobs? We don't need no stinkin' knobs...

wink.gif

Well, the "Buy It Now" price is $999
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
if you can tell him, or if he reads this, he should totally join and drop some **** on us. i can't wait to see to the tubes inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

usc goose, will do and me too
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Swampwalker
So Ed- Hope you're not an accountant; you're definately better with graphic software than math. ;~).

LOL, I was looking at the Buy it Now price.

Heheh, and yes, I hire an accountant.......
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
damn, med school really does destroy your math skills.

LOL, well fortunately most everything in the human body come in singles or in pairs.

Surgeon:
"Uh, I count one, no, two? Um. How many spleens do people normally have?"

biggrin.gif

-Ed

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #29 of 35
I contacted Nickolay about sending out an amp for the Chicago meet and he was very polite in his reply. It looks like those attending the upcoming Chicago meet will be the first to hear it. I urge everyone attending to try and get a chance to hear the amp and post impressions on it. It's new products like this one that fuel our hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #30 of 35
mods, could someone retitle this, "GOT Headphone Amplifier HP-5842-SE" or something more relevant?

looks like this is something new and the thread seems to have gained a little steam. thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back