What % of equipment reviews do you believe?
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #31 of 381
Audio reviews really do turn me on sometimes. Very stimulating and magical. It's more entertainment value than anything.

What I look for, more than anything else, is consistency. If a dozen or more reviewers all experience the same thing, it gives it a bit more weight, though it certainly doesn't prove anything. Just a nice thing to see, in terms of deciding what to focus my attention on.

It is very sexual. It is when it is talked about with the right words. This is maybe 50% of why normal folks think audiophiles are crazy.

Pure talk like.

" After the speaker placement we laser guided the transducers to a degree of 1.3 percent. We found pulling the speakers from the wall another 5 inches increased headroom and dropped the bass another level. "

"We all agreed to let the system settle for a couple weeks just coming by to check on some test tones and waiting for the expected $6000 CD player to arrive so we could take everything to the next level."

In the second week of March a big grey box arrived. Yep... I was able to use my hand dolly to transport this box into the listening room. Before long we found the player was sounding fantastic, farther than our wildest dreams and almost reaching a vinyl level of musical authority and interplay.

I had Gus over from Sound Systems to help laser place the listening area. All test tones proved what we were hearing. This speaker could apply for speaker of the year when driven right. Heck even when driven under power it sparkles like stars in the sky.

The only reason I left the listening room is my wife called to tell me our new puppy was sick and she would devorce me if I stayed in the listening room any longer.

"Still I must report, at my age finding a system that does Bach Organ this well is the mana from God all audiophiles have been searching for half their life. And at this price we sure hope the company doesn't get big headed and ask the price these speakers are really worth!

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #33 of 381
The Audiophiles Wife totally understood the reviewing scene.

This was the first of her 100 blogs.

http://www.theaudiophileswife.com/2011/08/its-not-that-heavy.html

She knows her husband is possessed by the evil devil of excess audio. She knows he will not leave her alone till he gets his way.

She knows that it's not that heavy?
It's not that expensive?
It's not that loud?
It's not that much time consuming?
It's not going to lose that much value over the years?
It's not going to need any more extra purchases to get it to sound the way it's supposed to?
.........and the best one.......

This will not take that much effort?

And finally.........it's really the last one I'm going to buy...............ever. The last one.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #34 of 381
.....and I read all those reviews. Crap, those guys have way better systems than me, they must have better ears, they know what they are doing. They are always right and THIS time will be different, this is the one I'm going to keep. I promise to put the money back in Jimmi's graduate school fund.

Yes, I promise we are going to get that car you want next year.

The reviewed test showed the unit settled down after 300 hundred hours of burn in and started to out perform units twice it's price. I even got it in black to match your dress I love to see you in.

You look fantastic in that new dress! I told you that right? I love you sweetie.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #35 of 381
"Sorry, honey, I can't make the mortgage payment right now because I spent thousands of dollars on a USB cable after reading this review."
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #36 of 381
"Sorry, honey, I can't make the mortgage payment right now because I spent thousands of dollars on a USB cable after reading this review." :D  

Marriage and audio have much in commen. They are based on expectations and promised performance. They are slanted towards future happiness, they are expensive. They can have a shelf life at times.

But most of all Audio and the institution of marriage are both completely based on lust.:rolleyes:

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #38 of 381
"A gathering place for the victims of sound."

LOL

Sadly all people including family members suffer with the gaget dependence sickness. Even upon entering a 12 step program family members can get the sideline support they need.
http://www.domstechblog.com/6-levels-of-gadget-dependence-where-do-you-stand/

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #39 of 381
Well I may as well weigh-in.  From the other side of the fence (being a casual reviewer - so to speak).  BTW - thanks for the comment earlier Shaffer - I appreciate it.

Whilst I do read quite a few reviews on the site, when making my own buying decisions (if I can't audition myself), I'll tend to do the following:

BTW - these are my own personal observances, subject to my bias.  I don't mind discussing them - but please [in advance] don't tell me I'm wrong.  This is just my own guide for me.

1. I tend to follow reviewers who have very similar tastes to my own, including similar opinions on gear we've both had in common in the past.
  2. I tend to have a measure of objectivity in my own reviews - so I look for similar
  3. I look for reviewers who take the time to explain their own bias, list the gear they used, and give comparisons to other gear they own or have had the chance to compare with. 

The type of reviewers I avoid (if making buying decisions) - not saying they are wrong in their opinions - just that I personally find their approach unreliable.

1. Reviewers who are processing massive amounts of reviews in very short time periods.  I know myself how long it takes me to review a piece of gear.  If you're reviewing a lot of gear in a short space of time, then IMO you can't be reviewing it properly.  It takes a while to get to know what you're listening to IMO.
  2. Reviewers who talk about big changes (or any changes) sonically with cables - particularly digital ones.  I've looked at the science. I've tried a few cables myself (volume matched and compared).  I certainly haven't noticed some of the differences people talk about. I understand buying cables for fit or aesthetics.  But if you're reviewing a cable and talking about sound changes - then I can't rely on your ears to guide me on a headphone I'll be buying.
  3. Reviewers who talk about massive changes with burn-in.  Minor changes - even though I don't really notice them - I can accept, and allow for.  Night and day though - again, I can't trust your ears.
  4. Reviewers who blindly recommend amps without testing side by side (amped vs unamped) after volume matching.  Especially when specs are known - and the headphone in question cannot benefit from additional power, or change in impedance.
  5. Reviewers whose idea of comparing with another product is based around volume matching by ear, or not volume matching at all.
  6. Reviewers who have very little experience with a lot of gear.  I know we have to start somewhere - and I will read and enjoy reviews from "newbies".  But I don't tend to base buying decisions off them. I know how "green" I was when I first started.  I even look back on some of my early reviews and cringe now.  If I'm spending real money - I want experience

As you can see - I'm reasonably picky.  But we should all be when spending our money.

And the one thing I would encourage all reviewers to do if reviewing a product - is to remember someone may be using their review to base a buying decision on.  That is a big responsibility. It shouldn't be taken lightly IMO.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #40 of 381
I have purchased about five different pairs of headphones/IEMs in the last 30 days. They were all in the low cost range from $25 to $125. And even in this range it's staggering how much your opinion changes over time. I'm not talking about small perception changes either.

The situation happened where I purchased these $120 headphones and these $80 IEMs. The whole time in the beginning I was in love with the headphones and was looking at the IEMs as a kind of utility purchase.................

Actually there is no utility .....lol .....I just like buying headphones.

Anyways talk about a complete 360? I ended up falling in love with the IEMs and kind wish I would have never bought the headphones. Now if I would have done a review in the first 14 days, the review would end up being wrong in my eyes.

Actually I would feel bad if someone read my review, thought I was an expert and purchased the headphones and not the same brand of IEMs.

My take on why this happens is just guesstimating the effects of burn in along with the euphoric emotional effects of color. Still I may never do another review. I have maybe only done five here in seven years.

All this wishy and washy stuff and I have been into headphones for a long long time. I was listening to expensive Sennheiser in 1975 and have love audio in one form or another all those years?

So just my changing take on products really makes me realize that even in the best of reviewers and even with the best of intentioned results, reviews maybe need to be at a 10% level like they are shown here.

I would have to say perception is a funny bird! Personal opinion is so flimsy in us all, still very few want to question our perception as rickety? Opinions tend to come from that giant ego center of the brain about as large as the distance from the earth to the moon. The more opinions we have, the bigger it gets.lol

I was looking at a pair of Chinese IEMs today and was on the fence. Keep listening to them and tell myself I am hearing where the issue is in the signature. I start to do some research here (of all places) ..........I find out the Chinese company purchased Stax and I read a glowing review.

Crap now my memory of the listening demo could be wrong. I'm going to buy them tomarrow just on what I read on Head-Fi.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #41 of 381
yup the new toy effect is a very real thing. after 3weeks my opinion usually doesn't change much anymore. so that's how long I recommend to wait. the thing is, when you review some new stuff, or if it's a demo, you may be required to go fast. and that's a very real problem. and probably why so many professional reviews are crap however good the guys are at doing them. 
I think I've done only the review of the sony a10 (DAP) slightly below that time because it was really just another sony DAP for 99% of the features and characteristics. else the few stuff I posted I had them for months.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #42 of 381
  yup the new toy effect is a very real thing. after 3weeks my opinion usually doesn't change much anymore. so that's how long I recommend to wait. the thing is, when you review some new stuff, or if it's a demo, you may be required to go fast. and that's a very real problem. and probably why so many professional reviews are crap however good the guys are at doing them. 
I think I've done only the review of the sony a10 (DAP) slightly below that time because it was really just another sony DAP for 99% of the features and characteristics. else the few stuff I posted I had them for months.

I'm the opposite. Within an hour of listening to a new headphone, I can tell whether I will be willing to keep it.

...Since my standard is perfection, I haven't been willing to keep any headphone so far.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #43 of 381
  I'm the opposite. Within an hour of listening to a new headphone, I can tell whether I will be willing to keep it.

...Since my standard is perfection, I haven't been willing to keep any headphone so far.
tongue_smile.gif

:) I deal with headphones like I deal with songs, often the ones I like instantly, they bore me after a week or 2. while sometimes, one I had a hard time getting into(like the hd600 or Stevie Wonder), years after, I'm still in love.
of course for the vast majority, when I find it to be crap after 10seconds, 60000years wouldn't be enough to make me like them. but when there is no major problem, no nasty sibilance, no bloated sound... then I find it worthwhile to let time pass and see if I don't reject it only because I'm too used to another one.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 381
My instant opinion is many times great. I have had only one pair of headphones for long periods of years and years. Still if I try a new set on I do kinda know what I like.

Still that is exactly right maybe you don't totally know till after burn-in, plus three weeks. So if the headphones take 300 hours of burn in, that's a while. I can not count how many reviews I have read about people's opinion changing after burn in, even if it is mental burn-in and headphone driver burn-in.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #45 of 381
voted 10% ... and that only because I still trust some forum-reviews and partially some pro magazines. The rest is simply paid-advertising, IMHO.
Below are a few somewhat related opinions coming from a pretty unlikely source: Stereophile

Except from a November 2007 interview, the retired J. Gordon Holt & John Atkinson

JA: Do you see any signs of vitality in high-end audio?
JGH: Vitality? Don’t make me laugh. Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. This refusal is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment to me, because I am associated with the mess my disciples made of spreading my gospel. For the record: I never, ever claimed that measurements don’t matter. What I said (and very often, at that) was, they don’t always tell the whole story. Not quite the same thing. Remember those loudspeaker shootouts we used to have during our annual writer gatherings in Santa Fe? The frequent occasions when various reviewers would repeatedly choose the same loudspeaker as their favorite (or least favorite) model? That was all the proof needed that blind testing does work, aside from the fact that it’s (still) the only honest kind. It also suggested that simple ear training, with DBT confirmation, could have built the kind of listening confidence among talented reviewers that might have made a world of difference in the outcome of high-end audio.

edit:
shortened the post since the complete interview is online at http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1107awsi/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back