What (not:P) to change in my current setup?
Sep 28, 2005 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

speedo

New Head-Fier
Hello,

recently I bought the Sennheiser HD555, but it sounds like I'm not using the full potention of it. My current setup is:

PC (2.8 Ghz)
SB Live
Sennheiser HD555
Using for: every kind of music, mp3 (128 and 192 kbps), some dvd's
smily_headphones1.gif
, gaming (pretty much gaming
tongue.gif
, but more music)
Cambridge soundworks 4.1 set (but not using it anymore)

I want a good upgrade, main point is a new soundcard, but maybe I need a good amp too? I'm not a millionair, just a poor student, so I don't have a very high budget. The most important thing is that it's good for gaming and listening to music. When I listen to my HD555 now (with the SB live) it just sounds a little bit 'empty'.
I was thinking about the new X-fi series from SB, but maybe there are better soundcards (for listening to music AND gaming).
Anyway, will I be able to improve my soundquality much?

Well, s.a.p.
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 34
The AV710 would probably drive those headphones, and improve your sound quality in general. You could then later add a dac and amp, but you'll see a big improvement for the least money by replacing the soundcard.

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
The AV710 would probably drive those headphones, and improve your sound quality in general. You could then later add a dac and amp, but you'll see a big improvement for the least money by replacing the soundcard.

Is this a good soundcard for gaming too? By the way: I can't find this soundcard in Holland on the web...What's the price of it?

And 1 more n00b question: Is just a normal (non-headphone) amplifier good for headphones? Or is a headphone-amplifier better? Cause I can get a 26-year old Marantz amplifier for 10 euro
biggrin.gif
1 thing: It's huuuuuuuge

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 34
No, keep the SB-live for gaming. Check "computers as source" for more information about soundcards and where to get them. I'm not a pc user, so I don't keep up.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 34
Hmm and what's the price of the AV710?

By the way: I want to make a start with producing music too with cubase and my keyboard, so I need a good soundcard for midi too.

So a good soundcard for: Listening to music, producing, gaming. Maybe I can keep the sb-live for gaming?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 34
The AV-710 costs about $20.

If you think you might also want to get into digital recording, take a look at the Emu line of cards. Nothing is going to beat the SB for gaming, as far as compatibility and performance.

The common options for music cards bandied about here are the AV-710 and the Emu 0404 or 1212.

I personally run an audigy2zs for games, and a headroom microDAC (effectively a very high quality USB soundcard) for music.

Sep 29, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jar
The AV-710 costs about $20.

If you think you might also want to get into digital recording, take a look at the Emu line of cards. Nothing is going to beat the SB for gaming, as far as compatibility and performance.

The common options for music cards bandied about here are the AV-710 and the Emu 0404 or 1212.

I personally run an audigy2zs for games, and a headroom microDAC (effectively a very high quality USB soundcard) for music.

Hmmz the soundcard has to be good for (midi)producing too...So just a good soundcard for Producing and music. What do you people think of the new SB X-fi's?

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 34
Similar situation.

I've got new Sennheiser 280 pro and was using it with the built in ALC-something codec in an NForce4 motherboard. And at first it was, hmmm, ok. But with time probably due to burn in effect (thought it doesn't exist before that) i began to hear more and more noise (like power-related noise). The noise only disappears when the master volume is muted in mixer. It is clearly heard at 25% volume level which is my normal listening level (50% master * 50% line out).

Tested the cans on non-computer source, they're ok. Then I tested the source with other phones ($8) and the noise is here, although much less distinct.

So, I want to know will the noise go away with add on sound card?

And what sound card is better for these criteria:
- ampless operation (Senn 280 pro - 64 Ohm) with decent sound quality
(I've heard audigy2 isn't good without amp)
- gaming acceleration a good plus
- low budget - $50-70

Audiotrak MAYA5.1 MK-II Retail - $46 - what about it?

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 LT Retail - $94

Creative AUDIGY-2 Value 7.1 [SB0400] OEM - $44 <- thinking about this one

Creative AUDIGY-2 ZS 7.1 [SB0350/SB1394] OEM - $67 <- no big difference with Value version
( http://www.soundblaster.com/products...ct=10653&nav=3 )

Creative AUDIGY-2 ZS Platinum 7.1 Retail - $177 - headphone amp incl. but out of price range

Chaintech 710 is not on the market and shipping it to Russia (prices listed above are russian) will make it worth $50 or so. I think at $50 it doesn't compete to audigy2.

So, should i stick with AUDIGY-2 Value?

Sep 30, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 34
Assuming that you use your comp for gaming at least 40 percent of the time... stick to the x-fi xtrememusic. The AV-710, as far as I can tell, just doesn't cut it for games. I don't think there is a card better at doing both music and games than the x-fi.

PS: An AV-710 can't drive headphones.

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 34
If using an AV710 you need an amp... it can barely drive my HD201's, so I wouldn't trust it with the HD555's.

Oct 2, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #15 of 34
I'd grab an av710 and amp it with that vintage marantz you mentioned. For 10 euros, that's a pretty safe experiment IMO. But then, I like the Marantz sound. And as others have recommended, keep the SB for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back