What next?
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tmb821

100+ Head-Fier
So I’m recently new to the iem world. Started with the zsn pro, now have the zs10 pro’s. Thinking I’m ready to go to the next level. I’m just not sure where to go from here. I’d like to step up to a iem in the $100-$200 range. I really like the sound from my zs10 pro’s, so something that is similar would be nice. Is there any room for improvement? I power the 10 pro’s in balanced mode with a es100, from a iPhone XR. Should I be getting better gear? Maybe a q1 mk2, or a btr5? Am I just caught up in the more is better game? Should I just sit back and enjoy the music? Lol, I have to admit I have getnewgearitsshinyitis...

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 11
Jan 5, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 11
So I’m recently new to the iem world. Started with the zsn pro, now have the zs10 pro’s. Thinking I’m ready to go to the next level. I’m just not sure where to go from here. I’d like to step up to a iem in the $100-$200 range. I really like the sound from my zs10 pro’s, so something that is similar would be nice. Is there any room for improvement? I power the 10 pro’s in balanced mode with a es100, from a iPhone XR. Should I be getting better gear? Maybe a q1 mk2, or a btr5? Am I just caught up in the more is better game? Should I just sit back and enjoy the music? Lol, I have to admit I have getnewgearitsshinyitis...

I had the KZ ZS10 Pro and it is quite bang for buck for an entry level CHIFI. There are some newer multi BA/hybrids like the TRN V90, CCA C12, TRN BA5 and KZ ZSX which are quite well regarded in the headfi CHIFI thread. In particular, the KZ ZSX is supposed to be the direct succesor of the KZ ZS10 Pro, and it fixes some of the artificial treble timbre of the ZS10 Pro and has other minor improvements, so it can be considered a marginal upgrade. But as per other gear in CHIFI, there are diminishing returns the higher up you go, especially if you want more significant upgrades rather than sidegrades/marginal upgrades.

What are your preferred music genres? And your preferred sound signature (V shaped, harman, neutral, basshead/treble head etc?). That would make it easier for us to advise.

U can also ask in these threads, the others there are quite helpful with advise:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ith-reference-list-no-big-brands-here.872245/

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 11
Read the rules before you post, simple.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 11

Have a close friend change your password so you can’t use it, leave while there is still a chance to get out. It’s a slippery slope. :)

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 11
I merely quoted what you failed to read, even though it's pinned and highlighted on the top of this section of the forum. If that somehow hurt your feelings, well then I guess you'll just have to learn to live with disappointment.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Have a close friend change your password so you can’t use it, leave while there is still a chance to get out. It’s a slippery slope. :)

I can testify to this.

You start off with the apple earphones you got with your iPhone. You then think 'these are ok, but I wonder if there is something a bit better?'. So you have a look and hey there are some for £50 which look really good. So you buy them. Then that voice inside your head says; 'If £50 earphones sound good I wonder what £100 IEMs sound like?' Then it's £200 IEMs. Then the voice says, 'Hey - if you can afford £200 then you can afford £500, go on, just have a look. A look can't hurt can it?' So you buy some for £500. But then the voice asks, 'Are these £500 IEMs getting the most from your phone? perhaps you need a £300 Dac/Amp to give them some help? After all it's only £300'. But what about the cable that connects your DAC to your phone? Stock cable??? is this 1985? So yeah the £500 IEMs are great, the Dac/Amp is fab and the cable is smooth...But then...then...the next thing you know you are spending £1,000 on a DAP and £2,300 on IEMS...And you'll decide to stop there because that is killer...it is totally TOTL. But it's the voice, it's the voice isn't it? Because...now...yes now... now you need to spend £1,500 on a TOTL cable to link your IEMs to you DAP...help me, help me Aggghhhhh!

There is no end game.

You will sell a kidney. Your partner will leave you. People will look at you as though your are insane because your portable music set up costs more than the gross domestic product of a medium size country.

Stop now and save yourself!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 11

I had the KZ ZS10 Pro and it is quite bang for buck for an entry level CHIFI. There are some newer multi BA/hybrids like the TRN V90, CCA C12, TRN BA5 and KZ ZSX which are quite well regarded in the headfi CHIFI thread. In particular, the KZ ZSX is supposed to be the direct succesor of the KZ ZS10 Pro, and it fixes some of the artificial treble timbre of the ZS10 Pro and has other minor improvements, so it can be considered a marginal upgrade. But as per other gear in CHIFI, there are diminishing returns the higher up you go, especially if you want more significant upgrades rather than sidegrades/marginal upgrades.

What are your preferred music genres? And your preferred sound signature (V shaped, harman, neutral, basshead/treble head etc?). That would make it easier for us to advise.

U can also ask in these threads, the others there are quite helpful with advise:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ith-reference-list-no-big-brands-here.872245/

As baskingshark says, what upgrade will be best will depend on your preferences. Do you want something that has the same tuning you have, or something different?

I will say that the ES100 is a wonderful device from a convenience standpoint. I especially appreciate its EQ implementation and the fact that I can use it wirelessly or plug into a computer and still control the EQ settings from my phone. But you may want to hold off on see how the Qudelix 5K shapes up as a competitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back