What next from SRH440? Require more bass and possible amp in the future! Your knowledge is welcomed within :)
May 19, 2013 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

deviot

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Posted another thread but didn't get a reply so after some more research just would some of your knowledgeable opinions :)

Decided I want to swap my new SRH440 (yay trail period) for something better. Highs and mids are great (acoustic, alternative rock) but I feel it is lacking with the lows (techno and dubstep). I would say I want more bass not stupidly over the top Beats blasting random bass. Just more nice bass.....[/size]

[size=10pt]Need to be closed so can use them at work. Can be up to 4-6hrs+ a time.[/size]

[size=10pt]Use a iMac at work and sometimes listen to music at home on my MacBook Air. Will be slowly converting library to high quality music to make the most of this new endeavour! Take a backpack to and from work so portability not to high on the level but would be nice not to big, etc.[/size]

[size=10pt]Budget $200 to $250, possible up to $300 AUD if you give me great reasons :p buying from headphones.com.au[/size]

[size=10pt]Willing to look at getting a amp in the future depending on how much I get into audiophila(sp??) not sure if that changes things much but any recommendation on amps will be welcomes too!. Might go all out if I feel like splurging. [/size]

[size=10pt]Would list the headphones I’ve been looking at/reading review but there are so many that easier for you guys to suggested.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks[/size]

May 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 12
Hello!

Just searched around the website you listed above so under $300, the PSB M4U1 is a very solid choice and it is my favorite headphone under $300 (well, what if I say I prefer these over HD 800? Don't kill me, we all have different taste! Lol, I find the HD800 to be..bad with female vocals?)

Anyway, the unamped PSB M4U1 in my mind, is on par with amped K550. It is just that the K550 offer better soundstage, and deeper bass. The bass on the K550 is very low that normal ears can't hear it. Other than these, nothing much. It is also a very good pair of headphone without an amp, it is portable(foldable) and offer reference sound quality! Not sure if it will help when paired with an amp thought.

The only possible downside that I can ever found in the PSB M4U1 is the build quality. It's mostly glossy plastic. Kind of like "Beats" but.. At least, things hold together pretty good just don't like glossy as it love fingerprint too much that it stick on it face XD

If you wanted under $250, the SRH-840, the brother of SRH-440, is also a good pair of headphone under US$200. It's more or less the same thing as SRH-440 but with more bass(mostly mid-bass thought).

The choice is yours. SRH-840 or PSB M4U1 is all I can thought that fits your requirement(except for budget) but if you ask me "SRH-840 vs M4U1" I would definately go for the M4U1. It's cleaner, better imaging and instrument separation. The soundstage is also a little bit wider in comparison. Oh and the bass on the M4U1 are better controlled.

I hope this help!
Billson :D

May 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 12
[size=10pt]I wasn't even looking into the PSB M4U1 but I am now! I will research so more but from what I see that look like a very good contender even if at the upper range I was looking at spending. Not 100% sure on the whole amp thing yet so not requiring a amp to sound great is a even better plus.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks! and can't wait to see what others recommend and say :)[/size]

May 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 12
[SIZE=10pt]I wasn't even looking into the PSB M4U1 but I am now! I will research so more but from what I see that look like a very good contender even if at the upper range I was looking at spending. Not 100% sure on the whole amp thing yet so not requiring a amp to sound great is a even better plus.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thanks! and can't wait to see what others recommend and say :)[/SIZE]

Haha! Yep. It's a bit underrated here but whoever tried it, and reviewed it, they usually give positive respond, I myself included. I added these PSB into my closed headphones comparison and actually put it at rank number #1 on par with K550. You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647465/mystery-unclosed-modern-closed-headphones-compared-sennheiser-hd598-update-psb-m4u2-added-7-5-13/30

I have seen many reviewers from other website and also here find it the best headphone under $300. Definately worth look into it!

Billson :)

May 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I'd say Beyer DT770, maybe the recently un-limited 32ohm model (haven't heard those but the 80ohm is pretty good and 32ohm is said to be even better).

The 32ohm is [size=10pt]unavailable[/size] from that site so have to be 250 or 80. Would love to here why you recommend these and why you say these compared to my current SRH440 or anything else suggested. 

Quote:
Haha! Yep. It's a bit underrated here but whoever tried it, and reviewed it, they usually give positive respond, I myself included.

Yep seen now that the PSB's are not to common here, but like you said can only find rave reviews. How would you explain the bass? Not sure if you have tried the SRH440 but what are they like compared to that. Only really new and they are the main headphones i've tried so far besides things like Beats and other not so good/over priced ones at the local shops.

May 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Because you think SRH440 lack bass and the beyer are overall better technically, except the not as sweet mid. The 32 ohm LE however was reportedly more balanced with smooth sound.

May 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 12
Hello!

YESH, I did try the SRH-440 and I believe I can make a quick comparison in between those two. The bass on the SRH-440 are clearly rolled off. The bass on the PSB M4U1 are neutral, it extend deep down to 20Hz (the minimum sound frequency most human can hear). Not saying the PSB are lacking in bass, it's neutral, well controlled and it provides the right amount of bass you wanted.

Hope this help!

May 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 12
Got the M4U1's. They sounds even better everywhere compared to the SRH440's. I did try the DT770 80ohm and they seem to not sound as good as the M4U1's in the highs and mid's.

Still light on the bass for me (I must be a bass head?). All the bass is there and sounds prefect (but lots better then the SRH440's were) just was excepting more of a punch. Guess I have to stop thinking i'm going to get the same punch as I get from full size speakers and 10" subwoofer (they sound **** everwhere else just more bass). Think i've just got so used to over powered bass I just miss it sometimes. I did try to eq them but just gets all distorted.

Wondering if anyone recommends a amp for this? I've read around and some people say yer just not sure what one.

May 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 12
Got the M4U1's. They sounds even better everywhere compared to the SRH440's. I did try the DT770 80ohm and they seem to not sound as good as the M4U1's in the highs and mid's.

Still light on the bass for me (I must be a bass head?). All the bass is there and sounds prefect (but lots better then the SRH440's were) just was 
excepting
 more of a punch. Guess I have to stop thinking i'm going to get the same punch as I get from full size speakers and 10" subwoofer (they sound **** everwhere else just more bass). Think i've just got so used to over powered bass I just miss it sometimes. I did try to eq them but just gets all distorted.

Wondering if anyone recommends a amp for this? I've read around and some people say yer just not sure what one.

DigiZoid ZO2.3 if it still doesn't provide you the bass that you wanted, I have no comment XD

May 23, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Tried a small amp today (Hippo CriCri Headphone Amplifier) at 'Jaben Audio' with bass boost and heaps better :) Also compared the DT770 (only had the 250Ohms) with the same small amp and I recon the M4U1 was better overall.

I will post up a another thread in the amp section but was looking at getting one with a built in DAC as I don't need it to be portable. I know you can get a Hippo with a USB DAC not sure if worth getting that or spending more (guess I need to get one with a good bass boost function)?
Unless the iMac sound card is ok? And just use the DigiZoid? Just I been ripping my sounds to flac audio now so want to get the best I can :wink:

PS I like the looks of tube amps :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back