What music to listen to with the Q701
May 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Menuhin

New Head-Fier
Hi so a friend of mine recently got some new HD 800. So he gave the Q701 headphones to me for free!!! I think I'll get the fiio E17 to charge the Q701. So I was just wondering what genres of music would show the true potential of the Q701s?

May 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Congrats! From what I heard it's a good combo with the E17.
It's orchestral music which sounds probably best. Something with a big stage, where clarity is also important. At least it sounds very good for me. Or some other smaller acoustic stuff, just cause of the clarity.
I myself mainly listen to metal, which may not be suitable for everyone with those cans. But this airyness and clarity, especially on a good atmospheric black metal recording, sounds amazing to me
For electronic music, some other cans may be suited better. But it all depends on, which kind of sound you want to achieve.

I would consider myself a bit as an analytical listener, so my preferences in sound may totally differs compared to yours.

May 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 8
When I had a review unit Soloist last month I tried the Q701 with it, and I've never heard them sound as dynamic/energetic and musical. Tracks below just wowed me. Try to get the lossless tracks of course, but start with the YouTube stream for now. All except the last one are available as on CDs (or maybe even vinyl) on Amazon. Second one comes as a DVD and CD pack.

May 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 8
I think the Q701 sounds good with most music as long as you like the sound signature that they produce. I mainly listen to prog rock and prog metal with mine. Sometimes some ambient as well.

May 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Really having k701s are fun. They are really a set of headphones to hold on to no matter where you go in this hobby. Vocal music seems to be where they shine best. Dead Can Dance or other electronica too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back