What music has changed your emotional state?
Oct 23, 2002 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
It can be any song, album, piece, whatever you were listening to that changed your emotional state.

Right now, I am listening to Shostakovich's 5th Symphony (for the first time), and even though I was unhappy a few minutes ago, now I am happy.

Any other similar experiences?

(Edit. My bad, I guess markl has this one covered too. Should have searched first.
frown.gif
Let it die if you want.)

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 40
The song "Truffle Pigs" by Matthew Good Band can effect my mood in a wide range of ways. It can cheer me up, bring me down, give me hope, kill my hope, etc.

I love songs like that, which can be seen in many different lights and still have meaning, even after hundreds of listens.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 40
I'll list a few that not only changed my emotional outlook, but furthered my spiritual growth as well.

1. Prince - Emancipation
2. Meshell Ndegeocello - Peace Beyond Passion
3. Prince - Crystal Ball (5 CD set, not the 3 discer)
4. Keb Mo - ALL of his albums
5. Meshell Ndegeocello - Bitter
6. Duke Ellington - Black, Brown & Beige
7. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
8. Prince - Rave Unto The Joy Fantastic
9. Spearhead - Chocolate Supa Highway
10. Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light Til Dawn
11. Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings
12. Muddy Waters - Folks Singer (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version)

That's all I can think of at the moment. And that's not even including the hip-hop.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
My bad, I guess markl has this one covered too. Should have searched first.
frown.gif
Let it die if you want.)

No, not really, I don't think. Unless I missed it.

Mine: Slowdive - Just for a Day -- guaranteed to lower my heart rate and blood pressure, when listened from beginning to end, which is just about the only way I do so. I should pull it out...

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

No, not really, I don't think. Unless I missed it.

He had one "What music makes you cry" or something like that. It's pretty similar, or at least one end of the emotional spectrum.

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 40
No posts yet for an aggressive emotion? Well then, here we go!

Well, nothing gets me more riled up than Rage Against the Machine's self titled album. I swear, play that album at any sort of progressive protest and you're going to have some pretty active activists. (it also did the trick back when i was playing sports in high school... ah the memories. so much anger i used to have...)

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 40
Stabbing Westward: Darkest Days

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 40
Bob Marley - Makes me nice and chilled out, also results in an urge to drink a beer or go smoke up a dube.
wink.gif

Slayer - Good aggresive music, gets me all pumped up and ready to kick butt.

Chantal Kreviazuk - Before You
Sarah Slean - Sweet ones
Instant happy music

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 40
you can also get uppers and downers in drug form, but these work just as good, and rarely any side-effects:

up:
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising. about 9-11, but very uplifting as well. very hopefull anyway.
Camel - Snow Goose or Moonmadness. very uplifting melodies, really puts a smile on yer face
smily_headphones1.gif

down: Porcupine Tree. anything by them. how much desperate tension can you put in such gentle music? man, they really pull it off all the time.
Chroma Key is very good at this too. not as desperate, or as tense, but makes you wanna curl up in the corner and leave this world for a while.

Oct 23, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Oh, most definitely this song titled Say It. Changed my emotional state -- definitely worth listening and watching closely with your phones on in the dark.

Right, excellent screaming music if I may say so myself...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back