What mp3 player did you regret purchasing and why? (within the passed year)
Jun 20, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #47 of 64
I'm not using EQ settings, MP3 effect, whatever on my iAudio U3 when using the Shure E1. I think it's sound pretty damn good. The 'enhancements' you get when using EQ and ... just make the music less natural and more artifcial. Though I can imagine for users with regular earbuds the effects of EQ and whatnot can make the soundexperience superior.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. JetEffects sound far worse than flat settings. Some respectable members (bangraman comes to mind) have testified to the D2's proficiency without JetEffects, IIRC. Perhaps it's synergy with your headphones (I know the CX300 in particular doesn't sound very good with Cowons).

I find it humorous how touchy this thread is going to get with all the player-specific advocates about. I'm already defending Cowon and Ricardo's already defending the Zune..

Well it could be the synergy with the headphones, although I only listen with the HD555, I don't use the cx 300 anymore. I know that the HD555 sounds amazing out of my 20 year old pioneer radio listening to radio: very musical and enjoyable, but on the D2 flac or mp3: boring and fatiguing (because you will have to have high volume for "enjoyable" music) ...
frown.gif

I don't think you can state the jeteffect make it sound far worse. Jet effects (PoP, BBE 2 and mach3bass 6) bring back the bass, make the music more enjoyable and give a lot more energy and punch, but it has also some flaws, that will bother after a while, until you want to have them off for ever.

Most of the time I tell people that the D2 is bad I feel a little unsecure. Because I seem to be the only one not liking the cowon players and there are coming a lot of those advocates
tongue.gif
to tell me I am wrong. And that makes me wonder who is actually right...

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it could be the synergy with the headphones, although I only listen with the HD555, I don't use the cx 300 anymore. I know that the HD555 sounds amazing out of my 20 year old pioneer radio listening to radio: very musical and enjoyable, but on the D2 flac or mp3: boring and fatiguing (because you will have to have high volume for "enjoyable" music) ...
frown.gif

I don't think you can state the jeteffect make it sound far worse. Jet effects (PoP, BBE 2 and mach3bass 6) bring back the bass, make the music more enjoyable and give a lot more energy and punch, but it has also some flaws, that will bother after a while, until you want to have them off for ever.

Most of the time I tell people that the D2 is bad I feel a little unsecure. Because I seem to be the only one not liking the cowon players and there are coming a lot of those advocates
tongue.gif

!? Why are you using the HD555 out of a portable player unamped.. ? I can understand the 50-ohm HD595, but the 120-ohm HD555 will of course experience lower perceived quality when you're using it unamped, despite seemingly powerful sound output on the regarded player.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #50 of 64
No, the HD555 I have is also 50 ohm.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not using EQ settings, MP3 effect, whatever on my iAudio U3 when using the Shure E1. I think it's sound pretty damn good. The 'enhancements' you get when using EQ and ... just make the music less natural and more artifcial. Though I can imagine for users with regular earbuds the effects of EQ and whatnot can make the soundexperience superior.

Well I noticed on my Zune when I use the acoustic setting on the eq it makes it sound a whole lot better.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

tongue.gif

I can understand people perhaps not liking the Cowon sound signature. Each to their own. I personally like my Cowon players. But my worse purchase in the last year was a Cowon A2. There is nothing wrong with it, the SQ and everything else is excellent. But being a PMP it is big, so I find myself hardly using it! And no, I won't be giving it away!
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #55 of 64
Got to be the Gigabeat S60V. It's not a question of sound quality...which, incidentally, blows compared to my H120, but the LCD screen as mentioned by a previous poster. And cracked LCDs do not seem to be an isolated problem with lots of complaints on the mygigabeat forums. Like others, I don't remember ever subjecting the screen to any impact but Toshiba still insists on charging $272 to fix it even though the player is within warranty.

It also seems particularly picky regarding MP3s and won't play songs that aren't tagged "right" even though every other player under the sun can... just an absolute chore to synchronize and endlessly infuriating.

The battery life of 5 hours or so tops it all off. There is, actually, no redeeming feature about this player at all. It is so bad that I will never touch another Toshiba product again...

El Duderino

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #56 of 64
Regret RETURNING my Zen Vision M. I only needed 50 bucks. :'(

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #57 of 64
I bought a Cowon A2 last year. It was great for video, but it was too big to carry around compared to my iPod (4th generation), and the MP3 decoder couldn't handle playing MP3 encoded in the newest versions of LAME at the time, which made every song in my library skip.

I would have kept it if I wouldn't held my entire video collection, so I ended up selling it.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I noticed on my Zune when I use the acoustic setting on the eq it makes it sound a whole lot better.

X2, it seems thats the only setting that brings out the Bass.

My biggest regret would be my old 5th generation iPod, because its not durable enough. It all started out when I bought two cases for it. The first case scratched the hell out of the back, and the second one broke the select button on the click wheel. So I tried to fix it because the warranty had expired already. When I tried taking it apart the Harddrive connecting port got damaged. So that rendered it useless. The good thing about that was that I got a Brand new Zune out of the deal, and the zune hasn't gave me a single problem since the day I bought it. I did get another iPod video by trading in the broke one. But as soon as I setup the iPod it gave me a problem right away. But I just use it when when my Zune needs charging, but usually my Zune keeps its charge. So the iPod spends most of its time collecting dust.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #59 of 64
ZVM untill very some newer firmwares fixed the bass distortion problems.

Prob my bigest regret is Iriver iFP790... Sount quality sounds artifical and its not been used in years.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ducatisteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p10324378.jpg

LOL at the synergy reference. Good job. You win.

I am extremely interested to know if anyone has any problems with iPods. I plan on getting a 5.5 80gb black one soon, so I would just like to know how it stacks up with the competition. I mean it looks sexy and all, but I'm *sure there is someone that has something to say about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back