What movie did you just see?
May 17, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #496 of 648
Gangster No.1 was pretty good, you wont regret getting it. Another good film is the Limey. A british ex con goes looking for his missing daughter. Terence Stamp is so cool he sweats ice cubes. Luis Guzman AKA Pachanga is in it as a struggling actor/friend of the girl.

Carlito's Way is a new classic, BUT Al Pacino loses his Rican accent halfway throught the movie. Still very good.

May 17, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #497 of 648
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Gangster No.1 was pretty good, you wont regret getting it. Another good film is the Limey. A british ex con goes looking for his missing daughter. Terence Stamp is so cool he sweats ice cubes. Luis Guzman AKA Pachanga is in it as a struggling actor/friend of the girl.

Yip, I saw "The Limey". Thought it had it's moments - a bit like a British Clint Eastwood (make my day punk!) but found it REALLY slow moving. It's got a very 70's feel to it. Think I prefer the clever fastpace of Maddy's man.

But I WILL give Gangster 1. a decent go.

I'm actuallly quite looking forward to watching it bundee1. May even buy a nice red wine (but not merlot - hee hee) to go with it.

May 17, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #498 of 648
Just saw Garden State, which I was really touched by, mainly because a very good friend of mine went through a very similar journey as the main character (minus the girl). Except it took my friend a few years instead of a few days. Still, I thought it was very accurate and well done.

May 17, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #499 of 648
Just caught "Unleashed" last night. I was dissappointed by Luc Besson but the wife enjoyed it so it wasn't a total wash. The flick itself was cool and the fight sequences were pretty sweet but the plot was highly predictable. My biggets beef with the movie was that is was completely rigid. There was no fluidity in the transitions from scene to scene. It all seemed so step--step--step whch killed the flow of the whole thing for me.

May 17, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #500 of 648
I recently saw Sideways and Flying Daggers as well.

I mostly agree with Jon on Sideways. I did enjoy a lot of the dialog though. Paul Giametti's in particular... such as the "...I am NOT drinking Merlot. If anyone orders Merlot I am ****ing leaving!", and "You aren't chewing gum, are you?" as they finish tasting a glass.
His sidekick was so crass he came off as essentially implausible by me. We all may have a crass moment, but he was so over the top it seemed contrived. I did like it when he asked Miles "You haven't been drinking and dialing again, have you?" after Miles excuses himself from dinner to call his ex after consuming a good 15 glasses of wine or so.

Flying Daggers was cool if you enjoy that sort of movie. It was beautiful, as Crouching Tiger was, but the flip-flopping near the end went on a bit far it seemed, and yes, the ultimate end sort of sneaks up and is there. It was good though, and the effects were less 'in your face' than Crouching Tiger, which was nice. In Crouching Tiger, I kept expecting to see Tom Cruise rappel into the scene. Or maybe Keanu.
rolleyes.gif

Speaking of flip-flopping, I also say Closer recently, and was very disappointed with it. I had heard it was the crowning achievement for Mike Nichol. I guess he should either quit now, or go back to the drawing board... in my opinion. It also had some enjoyable dialog, but just a smattering. And this time it was Julia Roberts' character that (mainly due to her, I suppose) seemed pretty implausible. They should have cast someone else. Sure, Natalie Portman is cute, but that's not justification to sit through this one, I feel. Drat, I could have been cutting the lawn all this time.

May 17, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #501 of 648
Got a chance to watch Kicking and Screaming starring Will Ferrell, Robert Duvall, and Mike Ditka. Will Ferrell plays the role of a little league soccer coach of his son's team which is ranked dead last and it's member aren't exactly competent soccer players. Robert Duvall plays the role of Will's father and is the coach of a rival little league soccer team which is top ranked and had traded Will's son to the dead last team because he was not considered a key player. Fustrated at the trade Will decides to take the role of head coach of his son's team and is determined to take that team's status from dead last to little league champion. Mike Ditka plays the role of Will's assistant coach.

I enjoyed this movie as it was funny and also has a message that sometimes we see too often happen in youth athletics, and that is were parents get too involved and sometimes forget that the main thing about being part of a team is not just to win but to have fun and enjoy yourself. It may not be Will Ferrell's finest movie but it was funny and a good movie for the entire family.

May 17, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #502 of 648
ya i need to check it out,

if anything just for that part where he tells the kid.

you were just served a plate of humiliation how do you feel lol or something to that extent

May 20, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #503 of 648
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman - Takeshi Kitano. Japanese Samarai gendre.

I love this film. I love the music, pacing, composition, visuals, colours, fight scenes, cinematrography, soundtrack, sound effects, visual effects and editing. It isn't flawless, a citical eye will catch a few too-tight compositions (and will be able to appreciate what problems had to be overcome), some edits aren't really perfect, nor the music apace with the action (sometimes (very, very seldom)). As music affectionados most here will be delighted with the music track being synchronised by the action. (Not a spoiler alert, just something that will dawn on you as you go). Yeah, it's that good.

But have you ever watched a film and within the first few minutes knew that it was something special?, something great? This is that type of film. I actually had tears of joy streaming down my eyes at the end. Yeah, I got "misty". For that alone I will give it 5 headphones (
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
) / 98%.

Others may only give it 82 % to 90%. But if you are into reading whole scenes at once, who can appreciate pacing, composition, lighting, visuals, hidden meanings and messages, who have a spiritual 'bent' and who can see meaning in everything, you will probably appreciate this movie most. (See who wears which colours, how the blood stains mirror pictures on walls, how people mirror the scenery, etc.) If you're not up on your Kenji, make sure you watch the Special Features section... Then watch the film again and see what you missed the first time.
wink.gif

If you like seeing hands being chopped off (along with most other body appendages), body piercings (like a sword going through two warriors at once and both being impaled on a tree, thereby), and pails full of blood (hack and slash) being spewed out into the air, the walls, the floor, the ceiling, a lake, in the rain, a tree, the ground, ... - then this movie should delight.

Very enthusiastically and highly recommended for the Asian movie affectionado.

Get that slow-mo replay button finger ready.
wink.gif

If there was ever a movie that screams for a director commentary track - this movie is it.

Some of the Special Effects can be guessed at (CG, (silver tinting looks wonderful)), some can be seen in slow motion mode (mechanical devices), some you're going to be wondering, "How the heck did they do that?" Yeah the CG effects aren't the best, but neither are they all "cheesy" - but look past it and see if you're not affected, you just may find yourself bewildered and delighted.

The subtitles don't always convey the exact action - and this is one instance where the words do not always match the English translation / sound track. Some may be offended by the "r" sound where the "l" letter is said. (Kudos to the English 'translator' for Kitano - his voice has a masculinity which better exemplifies Zatoichi's character than even Kitano's natural voice and inflection). But for the most part the spoken 'Engrish' (English) meshes pretty well with the lip movement(s).

This movie just keeps delighting throughout. Just watch your reaction to the end (a dance scene) and the very end.
biggrin.gif

Watch it in the English version then watch it in the original Japanese and see if both versions are not each special in their own way.
wink.gif
The second time around pay closer attention to the music and sound effects... Those with 5.1 systems should be very gratified and grateful for their wise purchases. Those with DVD players that can down mix 5.1 to 2.1 will be equally pleased with headphone listening. Any high quality headphone should provide pleasing results. I think it sounds superb with the K501 or the DT880.

May 20, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #504 of 648
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman - Takeshi Kitano. Japanese Samarai gendre.

Damn, I missed this movie, it was in local TV last week and I forgot
frown.gif
frown.gif
. Anyway, thanks Wallijonn for a nice description and recommendation, I will try to get this movie on VCD or DVD.

May 21, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #505 of 648
Strange Days - As a big fan of the genre (cyberpunk/tech-noir) this movie was a bit of a disappointment. I really, really wanted to fall in love with this film (as sort of a more skillfully crafted Johnny Nmemonic) but I only managed to like it. Set against the back-drop of the coming millenium it is a film about a drug dealer who deals in recorded memories or "clips" who gets caught up in a murder investigation that may (or may not) have profound implications for Los Angeles.

The movie has quite a few positive points, but overall it simply doesn't live up to the hype. The acting is generally good (Ralph Fienes & Tom Sizemore deliver excellent performances) and the plot line, while not breaking any new ground, is enjoyable and filled with mildly suprising twists and turns. Also it deals with a few of the philosophical issues surrounding memory etc. The music is pretty decent as well.

Unfortunately the film suffers from four key problems. First the direction/photography is very inconsistent, ranging from superb and innovative to dull and hacknied. In many ways the superb work (such as an amazing single take memory playback that opens the film) sets off the generally dull camera work in the rest of the film. Second is that the visual style is generally dull and uninteresting. Most of the sets feel like they were taken out of Escape from Los Angeles, not Blade Runner. Third, the script is somewhat weak, with occasional bad, preachy dialog and a rather contrived ending. (Though, in dialog/plot I'm comparing it to say William Gibson's Neuromancer or Philip K. Dicks DADES, so I may have unfair standards!) Finally, it is a bit on the long side (145 minutes). While this isn't an unreasonable run-time, one could imagine that judicious editing would have created a much tighter more involving film.

Despite all this, I'm still going to recommend it. When this movie is good it is VERY good... Some of the memory playback scenes are brilliant. Just don't expect it to be a cinematic classic.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

May 22, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #507 of 648
Inspiracion. Barbara Mori, Arath de la Torre. Mexican Spanish love story. College student meets the woman of his dreams (his inspiration, his reason for living, the love of his life) at a discoteque, persues her, woos her. The usual misunderstandings abound.

As always, it helps if one knows a second language to really appreciate a foreign film. Being of Spanish descent I was "rolling on the floor" throughout and crying at the end. At the very least it shows how different societies have different inflections and idioms, different mannerisms - which aren't always being conveyed by subtitles (like the Spanish "word" for boyfriend and girldfriend, 'novios', or the mannerisms very time one character says 'juevos'.
biggrin.gif
I was falling out of my chair with tears of laughter when viewing the early double dating / restaurant scene with the dizty girl date. LOL. Hilarious. ("The date from Hell".)

Those that read just the subtitles may not fully appreciate the jokes. But that's the case with most foreign films. Certain things are just not translated (like what he utters when he finds excrement on his shoes as he is driving to pick her up). A precious scene is where the house owner is asking her maid why she is laughing... priceless, because she doesn't say a word.
biggrin.gif

So yes, it's a sappy love story. If you have no inclination for such films then stay away. But if there exists the romantic in you and you can appreciate slapstick humour in different cultures, this film may appeal to you. ymmv.

Yes, I clapped whole heartedly at the end of the film.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif
to 4 stars {87% (if you're a romantic)}.

Unlike Serendipity this one ends the way a great romantic film should end. Not until the very last frame is one really sure.

May 23, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #510 of 648
just rented Team America and Assault on precinct 13

assault was kinda of a letdown wasnt nearly as good as the 70's version

and Team America i enjoyed it but i like SP so thats why i didnt have a problem watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back