What movie did you just see?
Mar 18, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #181 of 648
Just received my DVD copy of Visconti's "Rocco and His Brothers". Visconti also directed Maria Callas on stage during the 50s in La Scala. Upon seeing "Rocco" that is easy to believe. Get your handkerchiefs ready. High melodrama, really.

Regards,

L.

Mar 19, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #182 of 648
Last night we watched My Favorite Wife.
We came home with a box set of Cary Grant movies, and the wife and I watched this one first, then I went to take care of other things and she watched the other 4 from the box.

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #184 of 648
My Boss's Daughter - Tara Reid, Ashton Kutcher, Terrance Stamp. Slapstick screwball comedy.

You'll either love it or hate it. If mindless comedy isn't your type of movie - then you'll hate this one. If you delight in seeing other people get hurt (slapstick) or have the mentality of a 13 year old, then you'll probably enjoy this one.

Tara Reid is beautiful as always, and reminds of a blonde Marisa Tomei. The acting never looks forced. The subtitles will list the music being listened to. The plot is totally unrealistic.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
A hoot.

Serendipity - John Cusak, Kate Beckingsale. In the same vein as Fools Rush In. Two people meet and tempt Fate by putting her phone number into a book which she sells in a used bookstone, he putting his phone number on a $5 bill. If the other ever finds the book or the $5 bill they know that they are Fated to be together. She looks at life where everything is a sign.

A great movie to share with your lover - just make sure that you're soulmates, first. Otherwise there may be a breakup in your future.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

Roger Gives it 1.5 stars, Users give it two.

I took off 1/2 star because of the ending (Spolier Alert): No wedding band. I rated it higher because she reminds me of the ex that I should have married.

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #186 of 648
Raised my eyebrows, too. "Suspicion" the Hitchcock film? That's a GREAT movie!

But obviously Norman Bates is more of a "Psycho" fan....
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #187 of 648
The Last Blood (at least I think that was the English title....)

An old Hong Kong action film (1990-1992???), that was more action than story. But surprisingly, I really liked it. Sure everything blew up without any reason, the main characters were nearly bullet proof while the extras were magnets for anything that would kill them, and the characters sometimes tended to do a lot of things without any common sense... but I still liked it... My brain must really be dead today...
rolleyes.gif

But I think a lot of the reason I loved it is because of the familiarity of the film. These are actors that I grew up with and just to see them again in their younger days was great. Also there were a lot of jokes that you had to be Cantonese/Hong Kong-ese to understand (sorry guys
tongue.gif
). Anyway it was just great to be able to watch a film without having to analyze everything about it (like when I was a kid)... *sigh* I feel old...

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #191 of 648
Last night we watched "The Glenn Miller Story" starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson.
I had never even heard of this movie until I got Bluebird records Centennial Collection CD of Glenn Miller. The Centennial Collection CDs come with a DVD of historical footages. On the Glenn Miller one was some footage of the premier of this movie.

Other than me being uncomfortable with Jimmy Stewart trying to look like Glenn Miller I really enjoyed the movie. Lot's of great music and well done time jumps.

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #192 of 648
Funny you mentioned "The Glenn Miller Story" above. I love that movie and have seen it many times. I just finished watching "Ray" and I was thinking of "The Glenn Miller Story" while I was watching "Ray" on pay-per-view. I thought "Ray" would suffer because of all of the Academy Awards hype. However, Jamie Foxx was as good as everyone has said. I'm happy he won for Best Actor. The movie was interesting and touching and, of course, the music was great. I highly recommend it...

Mar 20, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #193 of 648
In the theater (Thursday): Are we there yet? starring Ice Cube. I was plesantly surprised. Me and Mrs. Redneck had the theater to ourselves the who eventing. We had seen previews while watching Christmas with the Crumps and after dinner Thursday, she suggested a movie. Very funny and cleaner than most things on TV, its also very touching at moments. Is it really possible for two kids to destroy a Lincoln Navigator? Watch it to find out.

At home (Saturday): The Happiest Millionaire an old Disney flick starring Fred McMurry (of My Three Sons fame) and introducing Lesley Ann Warren and John Davidson (the only movie I've ever seen him in - I thought he only did TV shows) (Those of you under 32 may need to ask your parents who these people are). Musical comedy. Plot: At the onset of WWI, an excentric millionaire, who keeps alligators as pets and uses hyms and the Bible to teach boxing, has to deal with his daughters falling in love, his family's aristocracy "issues" as well his future son-in-law's family's high-society "issues".

No really great songs came out of it, but if you like My Three Sons, My Fair Lady, and Mary Poppins, you'd probalbly like this. 3hrs.

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #194 of 648
This weekend, I watched The Cat and the Canary (1927) (Image DVD release), by Paul Leni, German expressionist and eventual Hollywood expatriate. Leni has a lighter touch than similarly categorized peers Fritz Lang and F.W. Murnau, and often combines grim themes with whimsy in ways that allow him to use stark lighting and experimental camera work while avoiding heavy-handedness. (Waxworks is a particularly good example of Leni's strengths.) The downside is that his films often lack the definitive style and precision of Murnau and Lang.

This particular film, which makes the most ostentatious use of dust, moths and cobwebs I've ever seen, is the prototype of the haunted mansion horror-comedy flick. Taken from the eponymous stage play by whoever (not important), it uses what has become a familiar palette: the prophetic will executor, the morbidly repressed crone, feuding cousins, the dishy innocent, the bespectacled cringer who must eventually show courage and the faceless murderer; pointy-nailed hands layered with hair and warts are ever-ready to turn the necessary tattered page or moldering curtain. The plot features all of the chestnuts you've come to expect, but it has more nuanced irony than any Lemony Snicket fiasco. Sample dialogue:

"You must have been lonely these past twenty years, Mammy Pleasant."
(Scoffing) "I don't need the living ones."

The DVD has two soundtracks, one of which is a wretchedly produced synth-only transcription of the early original score. This was a huge mistake. I feel for the person whose budget and equipment resulted in such a ring-tone-unworthy effort, but the final result still should not have been used.

The other soundtrack isn't great, but neither is it putrid: Its combination of real strings, woodwinds, through-composed form and chromatic modulation are exactly what a silent flick needs. This means the music isn't down to American DVD production house low-to-the-ground, phone-call-to-John-Zorn's-nephew-and-his-sampler standards, which meant in turn I was spared the urge to either swallow glass or take out random subway passengers with a 1915 Parabellum MG.

Before his death, Leni was slated to direct the original Dracula. Among his surviving films, Waxworks and The Man Who Laughs are available on DVD and well worth seeing. (If only his German films, such as Hintertreppe, were available as well.)

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Last week, I watched Juliet of the Spirits (1965) (Criterion release), which was perhaps the only Fellini film I'd always meant to see. The art direction and color cinematography were masterful, and Giulietta Masina was perfect, as always. Only, I haven't the stomach for 145 minutes of the usual 60s-specific phantasmagoric half-improvised tale of a minor character's quest for self-actualization. In this genre, the satire and metaphors usually become laborious because formal proportion and good writing aren't there to keep them in check. And the theme lends itself too easily to vanity's excesses.

Juliet has sublime moments, of course, and I enjoy its being in the female protagonist's voice. Even so, this film far too flawed to be one of Fellini's few masterpieces.

Mar 21, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #195 of 648
"the last picture show"
a sad, beautiful film. it haunted my dreams that night, and i woke with the phrase "faded summer kisses" in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back