What messenger program do you all use?
Jul 19, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #32 of 44
so is gaim the consensus vote now?

i've been using that since.... i myself posted a similar topic here some months ago (haha) but i seem to remember that most people were liking trillian or a variety of programs at that time. maybe i'm just remembering incorrectly...

one thing i don't like: for my ICQ account using gaim sets the privacy setting to "allow all to add me to their list" instead of my desired "users must ask permission to add" ---> and i have yet to figure out how to change that!
(of course, things aren't anywhere near as bad now as they were 8 years ago when everyone and their mama wanted to spam you...)

---------------
semi-related question: what are the pros/cons of miranda?

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #33 of 44
XFire.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Skype, but after this thread I now feel curious about this Gaim. Does it do VOIP as nicely as Skype?

I don't think Gaim offers VoIP at all, that's really Skypes strong point. While I also have Skype and use it for chat whenever possible, I think you will need another tool that works with the more popular protocols such as ICQ and MSN since most people use those. If all your contacts use Skype anyway, though, go with that. I really like the idea that all communication is encrypted by Skype.

ICQ OTOH has the advantage that you can send messages even when the recipient is offline.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xixco
semi-related question: what are the pros/cons of miranda?

For quite a while now I have been using Miranda and I don't really like it that much. Out of the box it doesn't offer much and has to be upgraded with plugins to be up to speed. And since having sifted through dozens of plugins for Firefox and Miranda my patience has basically run out for that kind of design philosophy. So these days I would really prefer a tool that comes including the most needed/useful features.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #36 of 44
Using gaim right now. Can't complain, no more annoying messenger and icq standard applications. I used to use trillian once, but that was really worse than the original programs.

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #38 of 44
Trillian makes my MP3's better, even better than GAIM. And before you guys flame me...YES I did an A/B test. With Trillian running, they sounded better every time.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #39 of 44
I use Trillian. I have it customized to my liking, I have disabled every plugin I'm not using and it's not unstable at all. I tried GAIM once but the amount of memory it used turned me off (minimizing trick didn't work either)

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #43 of 44
Adium X on the Mac. Gaim based with great customizability. Best instant messaging client I've ever used.

Only time I use another one is for file transfers. They aren't quite finished in Adium. In that case I'll use iChat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back