What messenger program do you all use?
Jul 17, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 44
i've been using GAIM for the longest time with my AIM account. i absolutely hated AIM's pop up ads whenever you log on, and the stoopid adverts in the buddy list that would suddenly play itself. GAIM is so easy to use and streamlined, and only has one window for multiple buddy chats. AIM would have a separate window for each buddy, which was another high annoyance.

the only disadvantage of GAIM i can think of is that it has trouble sending and receiving files.

i started online chatting with ICQ but i have not touched that account in years.

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 44
i like GAIM because it's open source.. i tried trillian once but it was unstable. im not a fan of the pack-500000-features-into-a-small-program idea... usually doesnt work out too well

Jul 18, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #22 of 44
I'm basic - I only use AIM. DeadAIM that is
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #25 of 44
I absolutely despized not being able to kill MSN messenger from starting up (it would reload in the msconfig screen) and so yeah, I renamed the EXE file "MSMGS" and so it doesn't load anymore...unfortunately, it DOESN'T load anymore, I can't get it to work, haha. Oh well, my roomie is on MSN and that's why I want it but whatever all my homies are on AIM and so I use that. When my homies were on Y! I used that, but that was nearly 5 years ago.

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I absolutely despized not being able to kill MSN messenger from starting up (it would reload in the msconfig screen) and so yeah, I renamed the EXE file "MSMGS" and so it doesn't load anymore...unfortunately, it DOESN'T load anymore, I can't get it to work, haha.

There should be an easy solution for that. If you renamed the .exe but still want to be able to start the program, you should be able to create a new shortcut to the renamed .exe and put that on the desktop or in your taskbar...

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #28 of 44
Gaim on Windows, Adium on Mac. Both handle AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN with ease.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
There should be an easy solution for that. If you renamed the .exe but still want to be able to start the program, you should be able to create a new shortcut to the renamed .exe and put that on the desktop or in your taskbar...

That's what you'd think...or I thought, but it just doesn't work period, hehe.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Yes.

It does everything imaginable -- even Jabber
biggrin.gif

Just get it man! You WON'T be dissapointed.

So be it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back