What makes RSA amps any better(or more $$) than my CMOY?
Jun 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
My CMOY is 9v(can increase to 18v) and with it I can roll opamps.  What makes amps made by RSA, ibasso, or pic etc... better than my CMOY?  I personally cannot hear difference between RSA amps and my CMOY, and my 9V CMOY amp would probably driver headphones better than RSA's $400 ~3v amp.  I have a burr brown opa2227 inside my CMOY.  Why are people paying up to $400 for RSA's amps? Are his amps worth that much?  For me, I cannot tell a difference in sound, but his balanced there is a noticible difference from single ended, but he's seems to be the only one selling a balanced amp, so he can charge alot for it.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 74

On a more serious note. I can tell the difference, especially when you have a switchbox present. Some people can tell others can't. If you can't then consider yourself lucky as you'll be happy with a CMOY and you can save your money.
normal_smile .gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 74
I had a Cmoy I picked up from Biosciencegeek on eBay and had a RSA Tomahawk.  I must admit, the difference wasn't huge, but the sound coming from the Tomahawk was more sharply even and had a bit more finesse over the Cmoy.  Cmoy's are great little amps with numerous configurations, but I honestly do feel the RSA are in a different league.  However, the simplicity of the Cmoy and the result is great, especially considering the cost factor,  and is what I considered a first stepping stone on more advanced projects. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 74
The benefits and incremental performance for portable amps are even worse and less noticeable than normal amps. The price/performance of RSAs are definitely noted to be poor especially compared to DIY projects such as Mini^3 or a Cmoy. That is to be expected. If RSA offers you something that you can't get from a self made or commissioned DIY amp - that is why people would buy it. I personally think that RSA is terribly overpriced, and while the performance is not bad per se, they are approaching Bose style economics.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 74

Quote:
The benefits and incremental performance for portable amps are even worse and less noticeable than normal amps. The price/performance of RSAs are definitely noted to be poor especially compared to DIY projects such as Mini^3 or a Cmoy. That is to be expected. If RSA offers you something that you can't get from a self made or commissioned DIY amp - that is why people would buy it. I personally think that RSA is terribly overpriced, and while the performance is not bad per se, they are approaching Bose style economics.

I agree for the most part.  That's why I urge anybody looking in RSA amps or similar to always buy used from the for sale forum first.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 74
Quote:
Why are people paying up to $400 for RSA's amps? Are his amps worth that much?

Both very good questions. Fancy cases most likely have a lot to do with it.

Quote:
However, the simplicity of the Cmoy ...

From what I have seen, some of Rays amps are not much more/different than a cmoy.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 74
I really like my Tomahawk when on the move. It does its job well with my Livewires. Never needed to upgrade. Have a Portaphile too. For a couple years now. OP you will move from a Cmoy. Cool place to start though.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 74
Some of you should check out Skylabs portable amp reviews rather than saying you pay more for a fancy case rather than an Altoids tin.  I also think there are better people able to answer the hardware and electronic aspects of quality amps than myself.  Perhaps some in the Sound science forum would do better or those that went to battle on dfkt's Hifiman 800 thread.  That was great stuff!

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 74
interesting , somebody asked the maker of the arrow amp Robert does the new arrow amp sound better than the caffine ultra cmoy as it uses the same op amp ,he replied no it would have to be in a class a design to do that. then we have peolple saying arrow > iqube ,pico ect ect.  a bit confusing tbh
having said that i do trust skylab/ hpa,s opinions and i know that Rays amps always come out well but my veiw is that you need to hear it for yourself with some decent gear

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 74
Stereophile has given Ray's amps great reviews. So have other publishers. As I said before...some people can hear a difference and others can not.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 74
Quote:
Stereophile has given Ray's amps great reviews. So have other publishers. As I said before...some people can hear a difference and others can not.

Stereophile sayings his amps are good means squat to me unless the review was done with some extensive electrical measurements since I cannot hear the difference.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 74
Stereophile reviews are done by ears other than your own (just like any other review) and should be taken as such.

Quote:
but u gotta admit their protector is worth its price.

A product being worth it's RP is a purely subjective thing that by nature is different for every individual.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 74

Quote:
Quote:
Stereophile sayings his amps are good means squat to me unless the review was done with some extensive electrical measurements since I cannot hear the difference.

I don't know why you are so offensive Mr. High_Q but if this link to Stereophile review of one of my amps, SR-71, will calm you down then so be it. Read the review & check the measurement...
http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/905ray/index3.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back