What makes a particular tip comfortable?
Jan 2, 2011 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Carson Dyle

New Head-Fier
I'm new to IEMs, but recently picked up a pair of ME Electonics M11+ to use with a Sansa Fuze player. I can get a good seal with either the small or medium sized single flange tips. The bi-flanges work almost as well. I wear the cable over my ear with all of them.

But I don't find any of them very comfortable. The smalls are probably best, but the M11s practically disappear inside my head when using them. The mediums don't go in as far but it feels like there's a lot more pressure on the ear canal and I can only wear them comfortably for about 30 minutes at a time. The bi-flanges seal, but fall out more easily and are even less comfortable than the medium sized single flange.

So I was considering trying out either the Comply foam tips or Sony hybrids. Offhand, I don't see what would make the Sony's more comfortable, as they appear to also be silicon tips. I've read that foam tips can drastically alter the sound of a given pair of IEMs, and I don't know that they'd be any more comfortable.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
I'm new to IEMs, but recently picked up a pair of ME Electonics M11+ to use with a Sansa Fuze player. I can get a good seal with either the small or medium sized single flange tips. The bi-flanges work almost as well. I wear the cable over my ear with all of them.

But I don't find any of them very comfortable. The smalls are probably best, but the M11s practically disappear inside my head when using them. The mediums don't go in as far but it feels like there's a lot more pressure on the ear canal and I can only wear them comfortably for about 30 minutes at a time. The bi-flanges seal, but fall out more easily and are even less comfortable than the medium sized single flange.

So I was considering trying out either the Comply foam tips or Sony hybrids. Offhand, I don't see what would make the Sony's more comfortable, as they appear to also be silicon tips. I've read that foam tips can drastically alter the sound of a given pair of IEMs, and I don't know that they'd be any more comfortable.

many factors influence the comfort of a tip, not just the material, rigid tips vs softer tips (material density and thickness influence this) and the shape of the tips (bullets, mushrooms, etc etc) comply's are really expensive for what they are, and after using them for multiple phones, I feel like they always have a negative impact on the sound quality.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
How about the Sony hybrids - are they more comfortable than some stock silicon tips?  If so, what makes them so?

What are some other tips I might try?

the set of tips that came with your meelectronics are pretty comprehensive, monster supertips are a interesting set (pretty firm so they if you can get a good fit, they tend to stay there), sony hybrids are more comfortable then the meelec tips IMO (not sure why) so those are a pretty good choice though there are sony hybrid tips literally everywhere on ebay (much cheaper then the sony tips, good if you're on a budget) hmm...that should be enough eartips to test out and get a good fit with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back