What made you first start listening to headphones?
Apr 23, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #46 of 53
For me it simply was the combination of desire for privacy, so others wouldn't hear what I'm listening to, and the necessity of not disturbing anybody at night, as I was quite the night owl back in those days.

When I've acquired my first headphones, I realized I could hear a lot more stuff than through the regular cheap computer speakers and after that it progressively evolved into this head-fi hobby, seeking for higher levels of satisfaction.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #47 of 53
I remember when I was 9 or 10 this guy at my church was going on and on about how great these cheap headphones were that he had.
They were I believe the old Koss Pro/55? portable headphones. Sort of similar to the ones they have now but they look even better and had a volume control.
Radio Shack would always sell them for half price at $20.

I bought these and was hooked. Of course back then we only had tape players but we eventually upgraded to portable CD players.

I didn't really get anything better until I was 16 or 17 and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-580s.
I was sort of clueless back then and didn't realize they were probably severely under-powered.
This is why they probably sounded bad from my devices.

Now you'll really hate this part. I "upgraded" to a pair of Bose Triport AE1s. The first version. Really loved those and they are actually pretty neutral!
I left a raving review of them on Amazon and people always gave me crap about them saying I was an idiot and didn't know what good sound really was.
I still remember back then people saying $150 for a headphone was crazy and way too much!

A year later I bought an AKG 701 and DT-990 Premium. I was actually using them with a portable amp and Ipod 2G LOL.
They still managed to sound perfectly fine.

My first real desktop amp was the Schiit Asgard 1 and let's just say it was the worst experience I never had in audio.
I upgraded to the Headroom Micro Amp and think I was hooked from then on.
The Micro Amp + DAC is a piece of audio equipment I love so much that if someone offered me $1000 for each I'd not sell them!
It took years for me to find something that was as good as the Micro Amp and it's the Schiit Magni 3+.

Found myself wanting to downsize my collection so I somehow managed to go without any big headphones for almost 3 years and used nothing but the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10. Love that IEM with comply foam and regret ever getting rid of it. To this day I have no found anything similar.
Is there another IEM that has almost the same sound? I've read it's more of a V-shaped signature. Hard to believe.

Right now I am mostly retired with headphone audio but settled with what's in my signature.
Sadly I haven't listed to any of my full size headphones in over a year.

I just bought the Final Audio E500 and really like it. Pretty impressive for $20!
It's mostly for walking and mowing the lawn.

I also use an Anker Soundcore Q20.
That thing is too bassy, but in general it's worth every penny for it's features.
It has bluetooth wireless and noise cancelling and often sells for $40-$50.
I wish they had a more neutral version.

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #48 of 53
1st: impressed by Stax estats in 1978 - bought AKG 240 - due to cost. Finally in '02 bought 1sr and only Stax.

2nd: needed very accurate sound to adjust VTA - because TT in closet from '83 on. Used AKG's which I did not care for until 2015.

3rd: major downsize 2015 - speakers, ASC traps, TT, 12k Vinyl gone. HD-600 1st can during this current phase.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #52 of 53
As mentioned above. I liked my music loud, and my parents didn’t… so, I discovered the perfect compromise that made everyone happy. Although there were a few times that my dad asked me if I could turn my headphones down late a night… ha.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #53 of 53
well, I think I started listening to headphones and understanding the topic of audio due to the fact that I spend a lot of time at home and audio is the little that can diversify life at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back