What made you first start listening to headphones?
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 53
Nice thread!

I was into car audio back in high school and in my early 20s. Nothing fancy and a typical kid on a budget. Then went thru the Walkman/MD/CD phases. Had various budget HPs/earphones that I cannot recall the make/model these days. Somewhere along the way, dabbled a little in home theater as well.

Then one day, I met my HD650.

And the floodgates opened....... wide......

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 53
Nice thread!

I was into car audio back in high school and in my early 20s. Nothing fancy and a typical kid on a budget. Then went thru the Walkman/MD/CD phases. Had various budget HPs/earphones that I cannot recall the make/model these days. Somewhere along the way, dabbled a little in home theater as well.

Then one day, I met my HD650.

And the floodgates opened....... wide......
Ah yes, brings back memories from my younger days. I also, one day, met my HD650 and it was love at first listen. We’ve been together ever since.

Jul 25, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #18 of 53
Gonna be the normie here and say that what made me start listening to headphones was my search for gaming headphones. While searching I started to see just what was all involved in audio in general, how important it is, and how different devices can lead to different sounds. Started off the the Apple dongle and dt880 and it really made me realize just how good sounds can sound. That's what got me into all of this, even after my friends give me a crazy look after telling them how much I spent just to listen to music.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #19 of 53
I dabbled with cans WAYYY back but up until a few years ago always lived somewhere I could have a stereo going constantly & have,since a young age, had a really good tabletop radio like Grundig or Sangean for camping/bedside listening..
All that changed a few years ago when I moved first into a small condo,then an even smaller apartment..Headphones became mandatory & my entry was a solid homerun with the HiFiman HE400i driven off the transformer taps of a really good KT88 amp...Moved up to Sundara & recently added the iBasso SR-1 bio-cellulose that have completely enslaved me hahahah...

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 53
I received a Sony Walkman cassette player with headphones included as a gift about 23 years ago, and I loved the idea of listening to music in a portable way with the intimacy that the headphones provided. Initially I wasn't into collecting headphones, I started collecting music in cassettes, then at around 2004 I received a portable cd player with good sounding headphones included and I started collecting CDs and discovering new genres and music in general. Later, I received an iPod shuffle and the madness for MP3s and digital formats started, and at that time I thought that the earbuds included with the iPod sounded good. In 2006 the Sony Ericsson Walkman series of phones came and I bought a W810, and the IEMs that came with the phone sounded very good, definitely better than anything I had heard. I think at that point I started developing an interest in IEMs and headphones. About a year later I bought my first pair of headphones, some skull candy, the hesh model I think, and those were very uncomfortable and the sound was off, the Sony IEMs sounded better to me and I couldn't believe it. I erroneously thought that all full size headphones inherently sounded better than any little earbud/IEM, I was disappointed. So I sold the skull candy headphones and I searched in the internet about skull candy, good headphones and so on and that's how I discovered head-fi, it was around 2007 and a lot of people recommended brands like Sennheiser, AKG, Phiaton, Grado... I spent hours and hours reading the full size headphone forum and I bought a pair of Senns HD205 and my journey officially started. I created my account on 2012 and the rest is history.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #24 of 53
My wife and I being home during Covid. I would put my speakers on when she left the house to meet friends for dinner, etc but the pandemic changed that. So I moved into headphones so I could continue listening to music. Recommendations that I got from here and another audio website proved very helpful. Some very knowledgeable people out there. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 53
Well I dont remember much to be honest, I was small kid, purely innocent and there was dad's walkman player within my reach and I got to feel my first eargasm!

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #26 of 53
I started listening thru headphones/earbuds as a kid quite often to contain the sound to myself only. However, I didn't truly get into headphones until I moved out into an apt. I didn't want to disturb my neighbors and I also didn't want to hear a lot of outside noises, so I started using headphones for everything from music and movies to gaming and podcasts. Now I actually prefer headphones over a bombastic sound system! Feels somehow more immersive.

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 53
Long story short i was adopted arrived in South Africa via Australia from Taiwan. Grew up on on pecan farm, very rural out of the way. Had to go to boarding school to complete high school. The only Asian in the school nerdy lanky and not really made to socialize , i was completely miserable and my adopted gran send my a big parcel with an Ipod and I was l lost forever . Every second year it was upgraded right through to uni. As i was the only junior with an ipod and stacks of music my room became popular and I learned to socialize. As to great headphones there is only philosophy to experience the music more and i guess to relive the first magic and escapism .

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #29 of 53
It started when I was little and had a cheap pair of headphones and just listened to them, but my dad had a pair of Sony over ears (which I really wish I could remember the model) and I remember the few times he let me listen to them I was amazed at the sound that was 'in my head' if that makes sense. I could put them on and get lost in everything, speakers never were able to duplicate that for me. I have my own place now and could get a decent speaker set up but I don't, I'd always choose headphones. To some that's probably crazy lol.

But as I got older I was able to buy my own gear and man....it spiraled from there. Sitting here now I can't even believe what I put together since those early days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back