what made u persue good sound?
Jun 15, 2005 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Kenny12

1000+ Head-Fier
It would be intresting to know what was the catalyst/ trigger of your obsession into good sound?

For me, it was in the movie Infernal Affairs when Andy Lau goes into a stero shop and listins to some tube amps + speakers, i think the beauty of the tubes made me start researching into audio things. and after finding myself lacking the funds / space / place for a proper speaker setup, i found head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 31
love of jazz - my clarinet teacher in 6th grade forced me to buy "Time Out" on cassette since i was saying i wanted to quit. i listened to it, stuck it out, left the clarinet teacher, and picked up alto sax, which i played all the way thru to a college swing band lol! i wanted desmond's tone SO BAD.

love of new wave - um, first slow dance in 8th grade with a real live girl - who was 18. long story. i believe i caught her eye by dancing like a gibbitous puppet to "just can't get enough" and we slow danced to "only you" by yaz. i was the man.

love of acoustic guitar - when the indigo girls came out with their self-titled album, and tracy chapman hit with her debut, i was just learning the guitar for fun on my mom's old beat up Sekora folk guitar. i didn't even know how to tune it lol. anyhow after that i really got going.

so pretty much my love of music/love of listening to music is tied into RL events of course.

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 31
Like rick said, love of music.

Also the fact that when i was a kid my mom couldn't afford to buy me a decent pair of cans, i kept using stock phones that broke often, so i guess this is my way of making up for that deprived kid in me.

Jun 15, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 31
My first reaction would also be the for the love of music. But if I had to find an isolated event or moment which triggered that search for ever better sound reproduction, I think I would have to say a small live concert by Roxette about 20 years ago in Sweden.

It was one of the few non-classical concerts I’ve been to but it had an intimacy and intensity that was hypnotic to me. After that, I pursued that feeling from the concert rather than the sound signature, which resulted in very euphonic sounding equipment. Only later, when picking up playing my self again, I started to appreciate more neutral sounding stuff.

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 31
Music, for me, was a given. I grew up with musc, had it taught in grammar school, sang in the church choir.

My epiphany came as a college freshman when I was dragged into a high-end stereo store by a friend with the hi-fi bug. They carried some Ohm speakers he wanted to audition. That was the day I realized what home audio was really all about. I went back the next day by myself. I was hooked.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Love of music and no more.Some are gear heads and are into the geeky end of things.I just want to enjoy the damn song
cool.gif

I think the thread could have been locked after this comment. This should pretty much sum it up ;p

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 31
I'm going to tell you the truth - the first time I spent "more than five dollars" on a pair of headphones was simply because I didn't know what to do with the money otherwise. I ended up really loving the sound and started listening to a lot more music than before - it was a pair of Labtec headphones which sounded really nice. I then "complimented" them with some Altec Lansing speakers (I forget the model number at this time, they were awful). Basically, as time went on, my love for music grew until I finally loved the music so much that I had to sell that audio stuff to fund all of the music I was buying!
biggrin.gif

After about a year I got some Sennheiser HD497s and worked from there
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 31
I started listening to music again (had been on and off during my teen years) and I usually am enthusiastic about technical things. And when ever money is involved I'm more than willing to spend lots of time to research on the subject to make sure I'm getting my penny's worth
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 31
My grandfather for sure. He had a TV / radio repair shop from the mid 50's through about 1980. I used to rummage through his garage, pulling apart TVs and old radios. I used to collect the magnets from the speakers.

He bought me my first AM/FM radio in ~79' (I was 8), first tape recorder in ~80, walkie talkies in ~81, and numerous flashlights, and battery operated toys. He bought me me first cans, Koss pro4x plus in ~1986. I used to place the FM radio in a shoe box and perforate the front panel with a pencil. I could alter the acoustics depending on what perf pattern I made.

from there it blossomed into my guitar gear, car audio, home theater and now headphones.

I used to compete in local IASCA events from 1989 ~ 1992

I still have 2 crates full of NOS tubes from his shop.

Garrett

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
For me, it was in the movie Infernal Affairs when Andy Lau goes into a stero shop and listins to some tube amps + speakers, i think the beauty of the tubes made me start researching into audio things. and after finding myself lacking the funds / space / place for a proper speaker setup, i found head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too!!!
eek.gif

Actually I took more interest in part 2 (chronologically the prequel) when Carina Lau was explaining to Edison Chen the tube amp she had bought. After awhile I discovered I couldn't afford a decent tube amp and instead turned my interest towards headphones.
tongue.gif
And well, eventually I found this place.
icon10.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 31
Well I owe basically all of my musical enjoyment to my friend who first introduced me to hi-fi by playing Michael Jackson's "Thriller" through these two really nice Yammy towers that you wouldn't even believe could have been made by Yamaha, they're that good. Well ever since I heard that I've been obsessed. He also played Dream Theater for me later on and now I'm obsessed there, too.

Basically, once I hear high-fidelity sound, I was doomed. I'd been musical my whole life through my Clarinet playing, and now I had outlet through which my musical energies could flow. Well, here I am, with Grados, an amp, a decent soundcard, a ton of really awesome music, a Buffet R13 clarinet, some mad clarinet-playing skills, a bari sax, an awesome blues band, and eargasms on a daily basis! Music rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back