what made u persue good sound?
Jun 16, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 31
Let's see: Love of music, obviously, and then there's this friend of mine that was really into McIntosh equipent and car sound systems. He kind of got me interested around 1998, and it's been pretty much downhill from there. I've progressed so much since then, I imagine he'd be surprised to see my audio setup now, since I haven't been in contact with him since I got out of high school three years ago. After that, it was my fixation with Bose audio equipment, but in late 2002, things started to turn, and in May of 2003 the SR60's were put on my head for the first time and it was all over. I was a bonfaide head fidelity freak, and the Bose equipment I had went into boxes, where they've been sitting, waiting to be sold on eBay. And then to present day, my headphone collection grew by one, the SA1000. It's been quite an interesting journey, I'd say.

Good times!
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quad
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Does nobody give a damn about spelling these days?

... or grammar
tongue.gif

It may be acceptable in British English
biggrin.gif
... seriously

Going back on topic, I loved the sound of the Kenwood stereo system that my dad bought in the early 80's for $1000 at what was then known as Magnolia Hi-Fi. The reason for my dad getting it? Because a living room must have a proper stereo system... it was essentially for decoration purposes (I'm sure Martha Stewart wouldn't approve of my dad's taste in decor although some of you here may agree with him). I know my dad likes electronic stuff like the next guy but I don't ever recall seeing him listening to it.

To this day, I haven't heard anything in the same price range that sounded better than that Kenwood. And it's been my benchmark for good sound ever since.

If it wasn't for that system, I would have been happy with my $5 earbuds. It was the search for something better that led me to Head-Fi. I certainly don't consider myself an audiophile as I don't have any technical knowledge about hi-fi equipment. I just want something that sounds good... like that Kenwood.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 31
I pursue good sound because . . .

- my mom always made sure that the house was filled with beautiful music

- and because, when her then four year old son declared confidently that he was going to learn to play the piano, she lobbied my father until he bought a used piano that, at the time, he couldn't possibly afford. And then,

- for the next ten years, every day, for at least an hour a day, she sat next to me on the piano bench making sure I would honor the commitment I earlier made.

That is why I pursue good sound, because she taught me to love music.

Thanks mom.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I pursue good sound because . . .

- my mom always made sure that the house was filled with beautiful music

- and because, when her then four year old son declared confidently that he was going to learn to play the piano, she lobbied my father until he bought a used piano that, at the time, he couldn't possibly afford. And then,

- for the next ten years, every day, for at least an hour a day, she sat next to me on the piano bench making sure I would honor the commitment I earlier made.

That is why I pursue good sound, because she taught me to love music.

Thanks mom.

What a beautiful personal story... where's the grown-man weeping smiley? My first son is 4 years old right now. I hope to nurture him as well as your mom.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
What a beautiful personal story... where's the grown-man weeping smiley? My first son is 4 years old right now. I hope to nurture him as well as your mom.

As I intend to do with my three year old whose picture you see to the left. Thanks for your kind words.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
my father. He's been an audiophile for over 20 years.

Awesome, you get to use all his gears right? LoL.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #26 of 31
I think it stemmed from my "MUST HAVE RARE SH!T" phase in middle school. I just was obsessed with all that expensive crap and I just had a fixation on it, it just so happened that that same crap sounded AMAZING!! So yeah...I was finally able to get good equipment and now I just can't stand distortion, bloated bass or any of that crap...I just can't deal with it.

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #27 of 31
Music is who we really are.

Jun 18, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #28 of 31
Then I am the jazzy rock god of acoustica, come to forte my way into electro-scratchdom.

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #29 of 31
for me, it was ignorance. not knowing that i can achieve great sound through better equipment held me back a little.
i bought a mp3/cd player for my car not too long after i bought my car. i wanted the convenience of mp3's. i must of connected something wrong, or shorted some cables, because my front speakers stopped working after i installed it. took it to a local car audio dealer to have it checked out. while i was there, they had a car on display, it was a car they worked on (civic si) and it had a killer sound system in it. i sat in it and listened, and was amazed at what kind of sound it produced (it was built to be a sound quality vehicle for competitions). that turned me onto car audio, and i am still doing car audio (i hope to compete next year).
this then lead me to headphones, and ultimately, home audio.

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #30 of 31
Someone at school last year bought a pair of those Zalman 5.1 Headphones into CISCO and was showing em off, at the time the best pair of headphones I had (for some reason i had 2 "expensive" pairs of headphones already the Optimus(Koss) Pro XB-100 and Sennheiser EH1430 (same as HD433) which at the time when i bought them were about $80AU and I didnt know anyone with dearer headphones.
These Zalmans were the best headphones i'd heard so I was like WOW, time to go and get me some of those! Soon after I did a bit of research on the internet and found out about the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headset, which i bought from the UK to help me with Call of Duty and for nice music (hahaha this sounds so silly now) to be honest i was completely disappointed at the quality of the headphones for music based on the review, and I was getting vibrations instead of bass. So I bought a Creative Audigy LS the following day and that helped some what. I was set for about a month before I desired better sound, my white zombie just didnt sound good enough for me! (back then i listened to only about 25 artists)
So I was on the search, and found out about the Alessandro MS-2 from the Headphonic sight and after getting a link to this place on OCAU, I failed to avoid the tidal pull.
However I dont regret anything one bit, now music is quite a passion of mine, instead of "just something to do" and my tastes have expanded largely, bought 60 cds since October 2004
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back