What lossless format do you use? (on your main PC rig)
Feb 2, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 112
ALAC and FLAC in that order.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 112
FLAC.

- It's free
- No association with Apple
- It's widely supported

If you want Ipod compatibility, check out rockbox.org. Their firmware makes my Ipod (it was free, I'd never buy one) much easier to use and loadable as a USB storage device, without any silly need for itunes / ephpod / anapod / etc. as a go-between. If you actually bought your ipod, you can always sell it on Ebay and pay half the price for a better player which is a music player first, rather than an expensive fashion statement with a music player tacked onto it as an afterthought.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #21 of 112
Apple Lossless. But I used to encode in .WAV.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #22 of 112
FLAC for 16/44 up to 24/96
These FLAC files are a kind of "Master Tapes".

But because I want to use the iTouch as a remote control... I must use iTunes, therefore i have to transcode the FLAC files either into ALAC (16/44) or into AIFF (24/96).
Because the replay gain values cannot be transferred from the FLAC files into the iTunnorm Tag of the ALAC or AIFF files I have to recalculate the replay gain values (using iVolume). For the time being I have no possibility to assign replay gain values to the 24/96 AIFF files as iVolume does not handle these correctly.

(Using WindowsXP with EAC, dbPoweramp, iVolume for ripping, tagging and transcoding. Using Vista with iTunes, Apple Remote for listening).

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 112
I use FLAC, but I'm not really opposed to any of the other types, since I believe it's easy enough for Foobar/Winamp to play them anyway. I don't think it really matters, if they're all lossless. It's kind of like preferring RAR or ZIP or 7z - they all get the job done.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer FLAC. Here is why:
* No Apple whatsoever

X2. Why would i limit myself to Apple?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #25 of 112
I don't use any compression - not even lossless.

All audio files are normally 24/96 wav, 24/44.1 wav or 16/44.1 wav.

Actually BWAV mostly.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #27 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Feature-rich? What kind of features? I wonder if it can pay my bills and rub my girlfriend's feet...
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

But seriously what features?

No paying bills or rubbing girlfriend's feet. You can selnd her my way for feet rubbing though.
wink.gif

What features?
* Metadata (tagging).
* Album art.
* Streaming.
* Multichannel.
* High resolution (ex. 24-bit/192KHz).
* Probably more...

Quote:

Originally Posted by townes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLAC for 16/44 up to 24/96
These FLAC files are a kind of "Master Tapes".

But because I want to use the iTouch as a remote control... I must use iTunes, therefore i have to transcode the FLAC files either into ALAC (16/44) or into AIFF (24/96).

What's wrong with 24-bit/96KHz ALAC?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #28 of 112
WavPack. Just because it compresses better than ALAC and FLAC, has the most options and my main player supports it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Second most used is ALAC for me, not for listening, but I often use samples from TV for my music and the used TV software only could export to AIFF or ALAC...
I was a big fan of FLAC a while ago, but the weak compression rate is disappointing these days.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #29 of 112
Main rig????

Used everything, but as hard drives got larger I went from 128 mp3>192mp3>256mp3>320mp3>flac and now with TBHDs I think I'm going to start to use wav.

USG

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #30 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lossless is lossless. There isn't really much of any reason to use one format over another OTHER than portability.

not so.

shorten (my old preferred format) did NOT allow easy seeking in the format.

flac is seek-able.

other than that, the bits end up the same. but flac is THE standard.

apple is not. I would never pick a VENDOR standard. never ever ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back