What languages can you speak?
Mar 4, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #121 of 169
Back to the topic....ahem

Besides English, I speak, read, and write Cantonese (the right version) and I can understand a bit of Mandarin. I can also read a good bit of that awful invention called "Simplified Chinese" used in the mainland.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #122 of 169
In the spirit of the late Gary Gygax I can say "Hey Rube" in Goblin. (Bree-Yark)

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #123 of 169
i can speak two languages,

english and english

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #125 of 169
Besides Dutch, I'm fluent in English and am understandable in German. I know a bit of French too, but not enough to do more than ask the most basic questions or understand the most basic sentences. I'm going to improve my German and after that work on French. I used to hate foreign languages other than English, but have come to like the idea of being fluent in more than two languages.

I like to travel, and I've been in troublesome situations (one where a friend and me were on the verge of getting arrested and sleeping in a cell for the night) that could easily have been solved or avoided if I were either fluent in the local language or if the other party had been fluent in English.
Having lived in three countries, I can't imagine living in a country of which you don't speak the language. While most people in the western world speak at least a bit of english there is still a fine line between being understood or not. Communication is a very important thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can speak and write some Chinese (Mandarin) (lost interest in it a long time ago). No other dialects though. I can converse and write in English fluently.

Would like to learn German, Afrikaans and French in my lifetime
smily_headphones1.gif

Why not start with Dutch? After that, Afrikaans should be like a walk in the park.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #127 of 169
i had a friend who claim he speaks 7 languages

and he turns around and ask me to translate one of the thoughts he had in english to the language he wants to express himself with,

and he claims to speak 7 languages ...

the language he asked me for help in, was one of them ...

haha...

what a ...

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #128 of 169
I speak English, French and Latin fluently and I can read German, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, Greek, binary
wink.gif
and I dabble in Portugese.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #129 of 169
english
spanish
french
gaelic

id like to learn latin and greek. hopefully i can learn some in my spare time.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #130 of 169
Norwegian
English
German (some)

Also understand and can get myself understood in Swedish and Danish.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #131 of 169
I am a self studying linguist who is fascinated in learning any language. Fluent in English. Rudimentary in Spanish. Knows 7+ alphabets. Cyrlic. Greek. Emglish. ASL. Finnish. Spanish. And german! The alphabets I know I though would love to learn Uzbek. The country I was born in Uzbekistan adopted from Russia lives in america for now

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #134 of 169
I AM ONLY FOR A SPEAK ENLGISH

I'll see myself out.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #135 of 169
My first language is Arabic. But I'm fluent in English and French. I also know bits and pieces of Spanish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back