What kind of stand do you guys use for your setups?
Feb 12, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 17
I have a custom-made stand for my NX10, it's made out of 1cm thick plywood, it provides exceptional sonic clarity
eek.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 17
I use a small solid oak two-shelf stand with an attached vertical cabinet to store my phones, ics, misc. gear.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 17
For my CSW Newton M80's I use stacked granite blocks (cheap). They weigh a ton. Then I put a, don't laugh, mouse pad between the speaker and the block. I don't think I can get more solid than that. I care much more about the stands than the shelves for the receiver and CDP, etc. Since I do not play my music at high volumes at all, I am completely unconcerned about "vibration control."

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 17
well, i use desks made by Omnirax (Commander + another desk)... and a custom wood desk made for another producer.... think it costed him $6000+ for that one. but he needed to sell.... pity him.
very_evil_smiley.gif
oh............. and get this, i use two little black tables by Ikea stacked on top of each other for my audiophile stuff next to the omnirax desk. i think they are called "Lack." really cheaply made.... but looks good without close examination.

Feb 12, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 17
I use an ASH DESIGNS COSMIC rack for my gear. It is a double wide dedicated hifi stand. I has three x Laminated 1/4" Plate Glass Shelves and has a Chrome frontage.

I got a really good deal on it about four years ago. It was retailing at £799 but the company that manufactured it stopped production of the Chrome fronted one so my local dealer let me have his display one for £350 and he even delivered it for me
biggrin.gif

Here is a small image of it.
cosmic_midi7.jpg

Sonically, you can't underestimate the value of a good rack. Everything sounds so much more coherent, this especially so with high-end equipment.

EDIT: The images is from a website that sells the wooden fronted one only. Mine is chrome fronted.

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 17
Inspired by the Lovan Millenium stand, i've made a nice custom stand with 19mm (0.74 inch) thick glass plates.
Total weight is about 25kg ( 55 pounds). Absolute vibration free and classy look
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 17
My #1 rig is on a Sanus five shelf audio rack and the upstairs headphone rig is sitting on a masonary slab by the upstairs fireplace. There's no way around the fact that where ever your gear is sitting (and how it's arranged and hooked up) becomes part of your system and what you hear. If you want better sound, solidity and isolation in these areas will get it for you faster than any other way. And the better your system (and ears) get, the more they benefit from this approach.

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 17
I just put my audio stuff on my desk, untill I have a really high-end system I'm not going to bother with a nice stand. For the price of a nice stand I could upgrade my system
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 17
i just spent 300.00 on a plateau 4 shelf rack from racksandstands.com. it's a great piece of furniture, but that company sure has something to learn about packing their merchandise for shipping. when it arrived the box was practically open and i could see before actually opening it for myself that some of the pieces inside were going to be damaged, i was right. but they were nice on the phone and told me they would send replacement parts or they would do whatever needed to make me happy.

Feb 12, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by darkfusion
I just put my audio stuff on my desk, untill I have a really high-end system I'm not going to bother with a nice stand. For the price of a nice stand I could upgrade my system
smily_headphones1.gif

Argos have some nice racks/stands for TV/HT use that may be of interest to you. They're pretty reasonable on prices too.

I'm pretty sure that PBIRKETT uses one for some of his kit. Have a look his website for pictures.

Feb 12, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
i just spent 300.00 on a plateau 4 shelf rack from racksandstands.com. it's a great piece of furniture, but that company sure has something to learn about packing their merchandise for shipping. when it arrived the box was practically open and i could see before actually opening it for myself that some of the pieces inside were going to be damaged, i was right. but they were nice on the phone and told me they would send replacement parts or they would do whatever needed to make me happy.

So, some things never change. Enjoy the new rack.
biggrin.gif

I think I'm changing over from glass head to banana stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back