What kind of Sealed headphones should I buy?
Jan 7, 2002 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

marmul

100+ Head-Fier
First time user so use small words when replying. I am interseted in buying a pair of sealed headphones for home and office use. I currently have Grado sr 60's and Senn 590's and like them very much(after burning them in for a weekend). I am looking for some sealed cans that will offer good sound, comfort and affordability in that order.

Can you help?

Jan 7, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 15
The Sony MDR-V6/7506 would work well for you. Closed, comfortable, great sound for the price. The V6 is around $80.00 retail, but you can find it much cheaper searching the net. The 7506 is the same as the V6 but with a gold plated plug and it goes for about $150.00 I believe.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 15
JMT,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have a pair of v6's (13 years old). They sound good, not great and they are not very comfortable IMO. I think I am spoiled with the comfort of my 590's. Any other suggestions?

Jan 7, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 15
Some of Beyerdynamics headphones (250-80, 770, 831) should probably be next on your list. It would help if you told us what sort of sound you want (bright, punchy bass, neutral, etc...), and what your budget is.

Jan 7, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 15
dhwilkin,

Punchy bass sounds good to me. I just don't want to be beaten to death by the bass. Please no mud!

Budget is flexible, let's say under 250.00 usd.

Thanks for the reply.

Jan 7, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Heck, with that kinda budget, have you considered a pair of Etymotic ER-4's?
biggrin.gif
They're about $20 over your budget.
frown.gif
However, they're about as sealed as sealed can be and will definitely stand up to your 590's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 15
If comfort is the only reason you don't like your V6's, you may want to try putting a pair of Beyer pads on them (a very popular mod around these parts, haven't tried it yet myself, search the forums).

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 15
I appreciate everyones input. The reason I posted this thread was my interest in the ety 6's. I was going to buy a pair but my concern was getting/keeping a good seal. I will use them mainly when I am on a treadmill. I thought buying sealed cans would allow for more movement.

Jan 7, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Sounds like the Beyer 250-80s would fit your description best. The 770s reportedly have very strong bass, but depending on who you ask, it is either very strong and tuneful or overwhelming and muddy. Not sure how well they will stay on while running.

Actually, if you're going to mainly be using these on a treadmill, consider the Koss KSC-35. It's got that punchy bass, but will definitely not fall off. Heckuva lot cheaper as well.

Jan 7, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 15
*oops*

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 7, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by marmul
I appreciate everyones input. The reason I posted this thread was my interest in the ety 6's. I was going to buy a pair but my concern was getting/keeping a good seal. I will use them mainly when I am on a treadmill. I thought buying sealed cans would allow for more movement.

Woah, if you're going to be using these on a treadmill, I would avoid closed cans, especially Etys. The microphonic effect will be *incredibly* annoying. Even the full-sized cans I've tried to use while exercising have been bothersome. I second the KSC-35 recommendation.

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Woah, if you're going to be using these on a treadmill, I would avoid closed cans, especially Etys. The microphonic effect will be *incredibly* annoying. Even the full-sized cans I've tried to use while exercising have been bothersome. I second the KSC-35 recommendation.

Unless that place where the treadmill is located at is a very noisy gym... In that case I would try to live with the c.r.a.p.p.y-sounding music that they play in that gym (and not use any headphones whatsoever)...

Jan 8, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 15
I use 'phones in a gym, that has a lot of noise, on treadmill, stationary bike (what other kind in a gym?
smily_headphones1.gif
), and elliptical.

You need to keep out the noise, otherwise, you have to crank up the volume, to a point that is not good for your ears, or your portable can't provide.

You are also going to SWEAT.

I have never used the Ety's, so can't comment on them. The microphonics from the cable on those may be a pain in the ear.

What I have been using for a long time is Radio Shack NOVA-71's.
They are about $25. They were on sale for $13 a few weeks ago and I bought two spares. After a few weeks, they stink up. They are closed cans with vinyl earpads. I just wipe them off every time and spray them with Lysol periodically. they have a long cord so you can strap the player to the machine and not worry about skipping. Or you can just wrap the wire up and strap your device to you bod.

Sound on my minidisc, RIO500 (audiobooks), and Rio 800 is fine.
Sounds great with the RIO 800! I also use the Novas as a portable phone or when in hospital, with MP3/CD player.

They are not the biggest headphones in the world. They can be tight for my fat head, but not painful like the Beyer's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back