What kind of Schiit
Mar 19, 2019 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lamaslamas

Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I recently purchased an Abyss phi which I'm driving through an ifi micro bl, but I would like to upgrade my amp as I cannot really go louder without distortion right now. So I was thinking about some budget solution I could purchase here in EU.
Budget is around €800 (including Ifi micro return), I know Abyss would shine through something more expensive and powerful, but I cannot really afford anything else much over that budget rn.

What would you choose between these options:

1) Lyr 3 w/integrated DAC

2) Lyr 3 wo/dac card + Mojo DAC (I already own)

3) Mjolnir 2 + Mojo DAC

4) ???

Thanks for any advice

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 12

serman005

Headphoneus Supremus
I am not familiar with the IFI's power details, unfortunately, so I can't really compare.. The Jazz ff details are found on the Meier website next to the Corda Jazz description. It says "technical details" on the link. Output impedance is < 0.1 ohms and maximum output is 15 V / 300 mA. The transformer is a 10-watt toroidal. Power uptake is 5 W. Better yet, it sounds terrific.

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 12

ZMG885

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I recently purchased an Abyss phi which I'm driving through an ifi micro bl, but I would like to upgrade my amp as I cannot really go louder without distortion right now. So I was thinking about some budget solution I could purchase here in EU.
Budget is around €800 (including Ifi micro return), I know Abyss would shine through something more expensive and powerful, but I cannot really afford anything else much over that budget rn.

What would you choose between these options:

1) Lyr 3 w/integrated DAC

2) Lyr 3 wo/dac card + Mojo DAC (I already own)

3) Mjolnir 2 + Mojo DAC

4) ???

Thanks for any advice

If you're still looking at Schiit, and considering you have Mojo, I'd go for the Lyr3 w/o Dac. Plenty of power on tap and runs cooler than the prior gen Lyr2. Mjolnir if you want to go balanced or desire options for tube/hybrid.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 12

lamaslamas

Head-Fier
If you're still looking at Schiit, and considering you have Mojo, I'd go for the Lyr3 w/o Dac. Plenty of power on tap and runs cooler than they prior gen Lyr2. Mjolnir if you want to go balanced or have options for tube/hybrid.

Thanks, and should I find a Lyr with integrated dac, could the mojo bypass the Lyr's dac?

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 12

buke9

Headphoneus Supremus
Help and Recommendation Contributor
I would go with the Mjolnir 2 probably my favorite Schiit amp and would definitely have the power you are looking for. Before I got the Audio GD Master 9 I was running my Abyss from a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it did a great job so that is another to look at but would have to be imported from Massdrop.

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 12

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
Schiit amps are pretty nice, but I'd avoid their DACs. They tend to have issues with noise.

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 12

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow Thanks, it looks really nice, but would it be more powerful than my iFi micro bl?
I cannot find any specs about the various models from Meier. I was looking for something around 4W of output power

The Jazz power specs are there but in current and voltage output, you have to do the math. I forgo the formula myself but as much as the Jazz FF is fairly powerful, it's more like a little over 1W at 32ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread