What kind of cable to make aux and headphone cables
Nov 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
Just looking for some education on these two cable types and signal levels. I come from a pro audio background so heres what I know already: I am thinking that since aux cables are generally used for line level signal they would need microphone cable/line level cable, right? Headphone cables come after a power amp so wouldn't they need speakers cables? Somehow I dont think thats the case, maybe because the power needed for a headphone can be handled by a lower spec'd cable meant for line level signal? idk, just making a guess. Aux and headphones cables would have very different levels/signal specs, though so shouldnt they require different cables?

Right now I have things organized as such:
instrument cables for instrument level (guitar, keyboard, etc...)
speaker cable for after a power amp and before a speaker
microphone cable for mic level OR line level (before or after a preamp)

That leaves me clueless where aux cable and headphone cable fits into this. Fill me in? Thanks!

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 8
You don't need speaker cables for headphones as headphones require much less power (they are much more sensitive). Several hundred milliwatts will drive most headphones perfectly well, so you can easily use microphone cable to transmit a signal to them. 24 gauge works perfectly well. 

There are only a couple of headphones that would benefit from a slightly more girthy cable, the HiFiMan HE-6 and the AKG K1000, as they can benefit from a few more watts, but even then you don't need to go crazy.

That being said, if you had some strange desire to use speaker cables for headphone cables, you could certainly do it, but flexibility (which gauge and dielectric plays a part in) plays an important part in the selection of a good upgrade wire for headphones.   

So, bottom line, use microphone cable, don't worry about it. Turn your attention to all the presents you have to buy people for the holidays :wink: 

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 8
  You don't need speaker cables for headphones as headphones require much less power (they are much more sensitive). Several hundred milliwatts will drive most headphones perfectly well, so you can easily use microphone cable to transmit a signal to them. 24 gauge works perfectly well. 

There are only a couple of headphones that would benefit from a slightly more girthy cable, the HiFiMan HE-6 and the AKG K1000, as they can benefit from a few more watts, but even then you don't need to go crazy.

That being said, if you had some strange desire to use speaker cables for headphone cables, you could certainly do it, but flexibility (which gauge and dielectric plays a part in) plays an important part in the selection of a good upgrade wire for headphones.   

So, bottom line, use microphone cable, don't worry about it. Turn your attention to all the presents you have to buy people for the holidays :wink: 

So question, I have about 10 feet of speaker wire left over (18g) I'm wondering how that would work not having a ground wire on the pin? I'm new to this so don't shoot me.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 8
You have to have both a signal and a ground/return, otherwise you will get no music. Your amplifier references ground via a potentiometer or attenuator to adjust volume.

18 gauge is fine for interconnects, some of Cardas' designs get that thick if I recall correctly. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 8
  You have to have both a signal and a ground/return, otherwise you will get no music. Your amplifier references ground via a potentiometer or attenuator to adjust volume.

18 gauge is fine for interconnects, some of Cardas' designs get that thick if I recall correctly. 

Where can I get, or where do most of you all DIY'ers get the ground/return wire from? Do you all purchase your wires separately or do you re-use old cables?

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Good place to start is Redco or Markertek, look at Canare, Belden and Mogami microphone cable. Most come with two wires (or four for Starquad) and a shield and are jacketed. Polyethylene is a good dielectric, better than PVC, and not very expensive. Once you get the hang of it, you can check out places like Soniccraft for higher quality materials. I personally like to use UP-OCC or Cardas internal litzed in teflon, among others. 

For the shield, you can choose not to use it, or attach one side to ground for a floating shield. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 8
  Good place to start is Redco or Markertek, look at Canare, Belden and Mogami microphone cable. Most come with two wires (or four for Starquad) and a shield and are jacketed. Polyethylene is a good dielectric, better than PVC, and not very expensive. Once you get the hang of it, you can check out places like Soniccraft for higher quality materials. I personally like to use UP-OCC or Cardas internal litzed in teflon, among others. 

For the shield, you can choose not to use it, or attach one side to ground for a floating shield. 

Thank you, now I have a good place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back