what kind of amp u use for grado phone?
Jul 28, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Rameish's idea for changes sounds interesting, I might try building one for myself (and I don't even have any Grados). But once you change the opamp it's surely not a "clone" anymore.

keep me updated Earwax, i'm interested in building one too - maybe we can build our amps 'together' even though we are seperated by, oh 4000 miles or so and the pacfic ocean. the wonders of the internet, eh?
wink.gif

and well dual opa627s aint gonna run off a 9V batt, that's for sure.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 31
I mainly use the Earmax Pro right now, but I have to add that I only use it with RS-1 when specifically tuberolled for it else it stays tubed for the hd 600.
Right now RS-1 tubeset would be 2 x Amperex PQ white shield, 1 x Telefunken ECC801S, which IMHO sounds good.

OTOH If I have to have a quick listening solution I often turn on the RA-1 which sounds great too and does not eat expensive (and more importantly, rare and irreplacable!!
frown.gif
)tubes.

P.S. am another one who thinks the sennheiser 600 sounds good with RA-1 too....

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #19 of 31
I use a power amp to drive rs-1's. These babies love lots of current.

Biggie.

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReaper
If you want to go tubes consider MAD Ear+ Purist/HD.

i've one of each (kind of a long story). if you're starting from scratch and aren't interested in continually modding the machine, go with the HD and spend the rest of your money on CDs. note that you might need load resistors (56 ohms is enough) between the output trannies and the jack. depends on your hearing and the quality of power in the wall. i just put tants in the Purist (well, that's how it was born; grew up into a HD++).

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
i've one of each (kind of a long story). if you're starting from scratch and aren't interested in continually modding the machine, go with the HD and spend the rest of your money on CDs. note that you might need load resistors (56 ohms is enough) between the output trannies and the jack. depends on your hearing and the quality of power in the wall. i just put tants in the Purist (well, that's how it was born; grew up into a HD++).

Would you say the HD is worth the extra money over the purist?

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #23 of 31
I've really liked the sound of Grados through:

- Modded Melos. Don't get me wrong, but at least to my ears, the stock SHA-1 was a bit on the boring side. After modding though.. Whoa nelly.

- Singlepower MPX3. Man, that's one beautiful, musical, sonically pleasing amp.

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
Would you say the HD is worth the extra money over the purist?

yes. the Purist i had started with the Dr.'s standard mods, BlackGates and Auricaps in signal positions. i later swapped the PS caps for BlackGates.

then i decided to test my ancient soldering skills. thus the HD kit, with some changes to the chassis. by the time i was done (well, not quite yet), the modded Purist sounded about the same as the HD.

my notion of the differences between them in descending order of importance (YMMV):

1) NOS 5751 -- overall clarity, lower distortion, misc. tube ills diminished (my Purist had a new Sovtek, the HD a NOS GE 5 star black plate; check with the Dr. to be sure that he routinely ships this way)
2) signal capacitors BlackGate and Auricap -- midrange, soundstage
3) HEXDFRED rectifier -- Bass Bass
4) BlackGate PS capacitors -- bass
5) Mills cathode resistors -- bass
6) Caddock signal capacitors -- midrange, undifferentiated noise

unstandard mods:

1) i replaced the blue signal resistors (Purist) with Vishay VTA52s; it's not been a long time, but i'm thinking they beat the Caddocks. -- bass

2) no led, power switch on the back -- anal

i guess that's about it. i listen to dinosaur rock, all jazz and some classical without feeling cheated.

inprogress

1) re-wire signal carrying lines in solid silver
2) cathode resistors in tantalum
3) tranny load and plate resistors in tantalum for the Caddocks (HD machine going under the iron)

bottom line: i have 1,000 + discs and a HeadRoom Home.motivation to listen was going, going, gone. either rub sticks together for energy, or do tubes. i settled on something from a professor. soft spot for same.

having gotten 80% of the way on the jouney, listening is no longer that something i do to justify the $$$$ of all equipment and discs.

i'm falling asleep. HtH

tutu en tranny

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #26 of 31
I'm surprised that there have been so many detialed responses to a simple question like "What is a good amp for Grados?" with no other information to work with.

jazpresso, can you please tell us:

1. Which Grados you have or are interested in getting?
2. What is your budget for an amp purchase?
3. What source or sources do you use with your Grados?
4. What kinds of music do you listen to most often?
5. Are you interested in a home-only amp, a portable-only amp, or an amp that would work for both purposes?

Jul 29, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #27 of 31
I recently picked up a hr-2 for my ps-1's, and the amp made this in my setup..

after adding the amp it seems as though my entire setup is more one then ever, like the cdp>amp>cans work as a complete team now..there are no more strong points or week points.

even the monster cables as interconnects sound great. I am very very happy wit it but I am so happy I havent even tried to plug the lower end grados i have in her niether.

(btw: all grados have that grado sound and all ray samuels have that house sound to)
so in other words I word be just as happy with a sr-71 in my setup as the hr-2

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I'm surprised that there have been so many detialed responses to a simple question like "What is a good amp for Grados?" with no other information to work with.

jazpresso, can you please tell us:

1. Which Grados you have or are interested in getting?
2. What is your budget for an amp purchase?
3. What source or sources do you use with your Grados?
4. What kinds of music do you listen to most often?
5. Are you interested in a home-only amp, a portable-only amp, or an amp that would work for both purposes?

1. sr325
2. around usd$500-$800
3. marantz cd-17da
4. female vocal (canton pops, jazz)
5. i've already a tube hybrid amp made from china, it's cayin ha-2.

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazpresso
1. sr325
2. around usd$500-$800
3. marantz cd-17da
4. female vocal (canton pops, jazz)
5. i've already a tube hybrid amp made from china, it's cayin ha-2.

since i have the sr325, i stand by my recommendation, and will fight to the death any assault on it.

one of my test discs is "Breaking Silence"/Janis Ian. you should hear *no* distortion/grunge/etc. if your system is working ok. i don't think i own a cleaner disc of any kind.

a second tester is Beth Gibbons/Out of Season (in Cubeland, so i don't have the title, but now i do). another absolutely pristine recording. good music, too.

edit: at least i got the first initial right.

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #30 of 31
Just to clarify. What I have is not a Grado Clone. Since I added some Cerafines caps (nothing large mind you just to give a a bit of a reserve and the op-amps are OPA-627. When I have the time I take a picture and post it here. Also I think I'm gonna change it such that I wont need a Brown Dog Adapter. AdHoc, bring your Grado HP to my place and give it a listen. Unfortunately I sold all my Grados - including the much loved HP-1 and
RS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back