What keyboard type do you prefer?
Dec 6, 2003 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi...

It strikes me that there is one thing that we all share in common here, that we need a keyboard to be able to post...

Now, i've always had a love hate relationship with keyboards, started with soft touch, then preffered clicky style... then back to soft... a seemingly endless loop... until now
wink.gif

Last weekend, I bought one of these new (hybrid??) keyboards that is laid out, and feels like a laptop... with short return keys etc etc... and now i've got used to the revised lay out, I think its the best thing ever... can type faster, and more accurately (sorry for the typos over the past week, but i think i'm there now
wink.gif
)

Anyway... just wondering, without going into the debate that the Lexmark keyboards from the early 80s rock... what keyboard type do you prefer?

Dec 6, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 46
Clicky. I still use the same "Quietkey" keyboard that came with my computer. Responds OK, for maximum posting efficiency.
biggrin.gif
Only stayed quiet for about 2 weeks, though. I type a heck of a lot, so this thing got broken in very quickly.

I could use a keyboard upgrade. What I need is something fast. I hate laptop keyboards. Don't exactly know what "soft" is.

Dec 6, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Don't exactly know what "soft" is.

To me, its the same sort of keyboard as a clicky one, but with a different membrane type underneath (elonex used to make them a lot) so they don't make any noise when you press them, and feel a little softer on the return... not so spring loaded

Dec 6, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 46
Clicky keys were a trip for me to use, so I went out of my way to get one (paid like $5 for the keyboard, $11 for a AT -> PS2 adaptor
eek.gif
). Well cool as it was, over time the noise started becoming a little grating at night when all was quiet. So I'm back to a Logitech keyboard with soft keys.

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 46
My IBM keyboard, like active response or something, is the best keyboard I've encountered. I like ones that have a lot of depression/tactile feedback, and this thing has it in loads, believe me, I've got the original AT KB, nothing beats that for weight/loudness (except the XT)...I think the Active Response is a good balance between Tactile and Quiet, so I voted ESP...they make guitars
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 46
Clicky is preferred (I have an IBM model M for my desktop), but laptop keyboards are decent as well. I just require there to be a decent amount of initial resistance to the keystroke.

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 46
I wonder how many people use the ergonomic models where the keyboard is split in the middle and one half rotated clockwise the other counterclockwise. Many at work swear by them and hate to use anything else.

Dec 7, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 46
I used to be all about the clicky keys. I have a model M and also the legendary northgate omnikey ultra, which I have on my desktop.

But.....in the past couple of months I've developed some mild tendonitis in the form of "emacs pinky" which really sucks.
frown.gif
I can only type on my laptop keyboard now, which I've actually come to prefer anyway. The shorter key travel is really comfortable when you are typing fast, and especially when chording.

anyone use one of those kinesis keyboards? I wonder how well it works for programmers. too bad they cost like $350, or I'd give it a shot.

Dec 7, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 46
IBM Thinkpads have the best keyboards that I have used on any laptop. IBM keyboards in general just plain rock.

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 46
i like clicky. ergonomic split designed too. i absolutely love the sound of typing. it's very soothing to me for some reason.

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915

p.s. which models are the "M" series??

It's the IBM PS/2 keyboard from the early 90s. Detachable cord with a PS/2 connector. I'd guess it weighs about 5 pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back