What is your position on Equalizer?
Mar 17, 2007 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been taught by the best (you head-fi people) to hate equalizers, hate them like bose. Yet, i must admit that one a recent occasion it sort of helped something and actually made it better. how could this be? have i committed sin?

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 72
I wouldnt ever sacrifice what to my ears was an improvemnt in the sound out of some snobbish notion of audio purity. If it sounds good then it is good as the fella says.

At the minute I only use a slight software EQ. My next purchase is a nice hardware one though.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 72
I don't use one for headphone listening, but I enable a parametric EQ when listening to my speakers. Using the crossover settings of the sub alone wasn't enough to get a flat frequency response from my setup. An EQ calibrated with an SPL meter, however, allowed me to greatly flatten out the response. An added bonus is by not using it while watching movies, I get a nice bass hump for explosions!
biggrin.gif

IMO, a properly used (high quality) equalizer is a good thing - not bad.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 72
Now that is a very good question. I think EQ's are fine but I don't have one, mostly out of laziness and I prefer the ease of just turning on my CD player and press play without any complications.

If I am unsatisfied with the sound, I switch headphones.

I play guitar and on my guitar processor, EQ is very important and very necessary.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 72
I don't use the EQ on my iAudio X5 with V-Moda Vibes. It just stays flat.

But I have to use it with Westone UM1's.

I'm anxious to Rockbox my X5 and play with the fancier EQ it provides. Wouldn't mind the ability to tweak the UM1's a bit more.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been taught by the best (you head-fi people) to hate equalizers, hate them like bose. Yet, i must admit that one a recent occasion it sort of helped something and actually made it better. how could this be? have i committed sin?

Naw, don't worry about it. What ever works.

I personally don't like the thought of either digital or analog equalizers and would never use them on my system. But, for times when I am using cheap equipment, like my computer speakers in the basement, I am sometimes forced to use software EQ just to tame the horrible bass.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 72
For some strange, strange reason, I occasionally turn on the iTunes EQ to "Dance". And... I LIKE IT!

Sometimes.

Only sometimes.

................try it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 72
Imo if you feel like you want one or need one, go for it. If someone had one situated in their system and I was listening to it, I would happily make use of it. Personally I don't use one in my system for a few reasons:

1. Never really felt the need for one.

2. Haven't come across a simple high quality EQ on the market for a reasonable price.

3. I like to keep my system as simple and with as few components as possible. Saves $, space and signal degradation is at a minimum (if this would even be noticable).

4. I'd have to build a new set of interconnects for myself
icon10.gif
Well for those that know me, this might actually be considered a positive.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 72
Talk about good fortune!

Due to a bit of good luck and some educated guessing I was able to get two sets of cans which I can listen to out of my system without having to add any equalization at all. Whew!

However.....

I do have a couple of CDs that I listen to occasionally that give a happier sound if I add about 2db of additional bass.

So; ya know what I do?

That's right! Dial in a couple db of bass!!

It's nice if good fortune is on your side.
plainface.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 72
I personally think that EQ is acceptable. I personally do not use it unless I have to. My headphones are a little bass heavy so on songs with extreme bass, i sometimes tone it down a little. but for the most part i do not use it. if you like the way it sounds then just do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back