What is your opinion of HD radio?
Jan 7, 2007 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I just ordered the new, Sangean HDR-1 table top HD radio. I would like to have a remote controlled table top radio like this that I can place far away from the computer. I am hoping that this radio gets the usual Sangean good reception, and that I receive plenty of HD stations to experiment and play with.

Do you have any experiences with HD radio?

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 38
I've got the Sangean HDT-1 HD tuner and while it is noise free it doesn't have much depth or air around the instruments. It sounds exactly like Mp3 recorded at 128k. It sounds good for radio, but thats about it.

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 38
I don't know about that particular player, but if it's anything like the "HD" satellite radio, it's total B.S. It's not HD, it's about as low definition as you can get. 64kbit files HD? Groan.

Jan 7, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 38
I'm looking forward to it! FM like CD, AM like FM and it does not require a subscription like the alternatives. it's free like radio has always been.

hopefully HD Radio will improve on me AM and FM radio experience with multicasting and by pulling in the stations clearer.

I already have three stations in the area that are broadcasting both HD and Analog transmissions. two of the stations I listen to frequently and they already come in very clear. WNCW 88.7 is a killer station with varied progaming already.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6672638.
New Ad Campaign Plugs High-Definition Radio

Morning Edition, December 25, 2006 · The radio industry is rolling out a $250 million ad blitz to promote high-definition radio in the face of sluggish consumer demand for the HD radio devices. After all, to hear HD radio, you have to OWN an HD radio.

http://www.hdradio.com/stations_on_the_air.php
1001 Stations and Counting!

More than 900 radio stations are currently broadcasting primary signals in HD Digital, reaching 75% of the U.S. population, expanding to 1200 stations and 90% of the population by the end of this year. By July 31 of this year, the number of stations broadcasting HD2 multicast channels with exciting new music formats is expected to grow to 400.

http://www.ibiquity.com/hd_radio/hdradio_multicasting
At a minimum, multicasting can double the number of choices available on free digital FM radio. HD Radio technology enables an FM broadcaster to offer more than one program stream on its existing spectrum. As of April 2006, more than 200 HD Radio stations across the United States offer two to three additional channels above and beyond their analog and main digital channels, with many more expected to go on the air this year. Stations are using their HD2 multicast channels to experiment with new music and news formats, showcase young artists and local bands, offer non-English language programming, and more.

FM stations have 150 kilobits per second (kps) of bandwidth available with HD Radio technology, of which 96 kps is typically used for digital audio programming. In addition to offering superior sound quality, this 96 kps “bit rate” can also be carved into separate program streams (e.g., 93.7-HD2, 93.7-HD3, etc.) allowing FM broadcasters to expand their content offerings without requiring additional frequencies or spectrum.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 38
I still have yet to find a HD radio built as a tuner. I am interested in it, but will only buy something that I can rack with my stereo.

Funny thing is, FM sounds terrific as is. So does AM. I've got a mess of tube AM radios, and you'd be surprised at just how good they sound with a music station. In fact, that's what started me down the audiophile path. I was enjoying a restored tube set and got to wondering why tubes and a single driver sounded so good.

Then I got an all tube FM multiplex (stereo) receiver, an old Scott 350B. I don't think many people know how good FM can sound. No one thinks of it as a high-end source, but it really is. I encourage everyone to try it.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 38
audiophiles... raise your hand if you think 96kpbs is "high definiton."
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 38
It has definite benefits, and no real downfalls, except that weather can effect the signal (on rare occasion) from what I've heard.

My area only has about 4 stations, so I'm not eager enough to get on the bandwagon just yet... but I definitely will, as I enjoy free radio, and could definitely do without the static. I always welcome new equipment into the rack.

I think this technology would be most useful in the car, so I'd like to have it both ways.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thing is, FM sounds terrific as is. So does AM. I've got a mess of tube AM radios, and you'd be surprised at just how good they sound with a music station. In fact, that's what started me down the audiophile path. I was enjoying a restored tube set and got to wondering why tubes and a single driver sounded so good.

Then I got an all tube FM multiplex (stereo) receiver, an old Scott 350B. I don't think many people know how good FM can sound. No one thinks of it as a high-end source, but it really is. I encourage everyone to try it.

I'm glad somebody else has this view. Obviously, FM quality does vary depending on where you live and what stations are broadcasting (i.e. how much they wind up the compressors) but with even a budget hifi tuner and a good external aerial, the results can be... wonderful.

Last time I was living in the UK, I finally got a good external aerial hooked up, and Radio 3 in particular was amazing. It made me grin listening to that... Also, no hiss whatsoever from all the main stations.

My experience with digital radio was not so much fun... low bitrate, dropouts, just general yuckiness.
mad.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 38
why do so many want to halt progress? analog to digital..

remember FM started out as a Mono signal. LP's were Mono too. yet they progressed and so will HD Radio given time.

I prefer the old cars of the 60's and past that I grew up around but I am so glad we have the autos that conserve and pollute less today. the progress to what we drive today wasn't an easy road either and we ain't stopping here either.

I'm an amateur photographer and once a professional lithographer. I dig the old film photography myself but digital has helped change us for the good. one thing people fail to see is that digital put's less chemicals in our world for processing of film. sure there's still waste but so much of the old format was just dumped right down the drain. we can now easily view a photo on our LCD screen(LCD saves energy and enviromental hazards itself) saving the world of needless waste. look just how much the quality of digital has progressed in it's short time. I'm sure in the day many thought derrogotype was superior to film. In ways I do now..

I have met so many down on computers. that they woud rather have something real to hold, like a book, magazine or paper but would we be here now talking if we stuck to that medium. not to mention all the energy, chemicals and waste it saves this world just for us to hold that magazine.

cell phones???

regardless of the quality of digital radio now, it will progress to something betta! so will digital media to old analog forms..

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5nl_hkLBA

This is an actual owner's video of the new Sangean HDT-1 HD Radio in action. You get to hear it though nothing substitutes a live audition either.

It is an interesting video showing the capabilities of HD Radio. The switching is very fast from HD-1 to HD-2 HD-3, etc. Changing channels is lightning quick. The delay, however, is when the HD Radio is seeking the digital signal when you switch stations. Otherwise, it looks to be a real "bargain" for its price. It is far less expensive than the upcoming $900 USD Rotel HD Radio and there may be an upcoming Sangean HD-2 HD Radio this year as well.

$175 USD with a rebate. Get it from http://www.universal-radio.com .

If I can sell off my Cardas Golden Reference Power cord, then I will spring for HD Radio.

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 38
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=154 This is the HD Radio sub-forum over at AVS Forum.

This is the Sangean HDT-1 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=754059 . Looks like they are already thinking or engineering a $300 USD premium version of this HD Radio.

I have started to do more research and change my opinions about HD Radio and this looks to be the first model that doesn't have lemon written all over it. Sangean might have a big winner on their hands. It's less expensive, it performs quite well, and it isn't chock full of useless features neither.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back