What is your most prized recording for headphone listening?
Nov 28, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 37
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood -- even the original version is good!

Mike Oldfield - Amarok

anything by Jean-Michel Jarre, esp. Equinoxe (pt. 4 should actually tickle)

Roger Waters - Amused to Death

Pink Floyd - the big three: Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Dark Side of the Moon

Nov 28, 2001 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 37
Whatever I am listening to at the moment
3d.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 37
My favorite track is "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf.

My favorite CD is "Lie to Me" by Johnny Lang.

Hope this helps your quest.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 37
frank zappa - overnight sensation (fz cd master).

stereolab - dots & loops (vinyl); sound dust (cd); cobra & phases... (vinyl)

the Who - live at leeds (remaster cd)

Nov 28, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #20 of 37
My most prized well-recorded jazz/classical CD is Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard XRCD, and for rock/pop is Kruder & Dorfmeister's K&D Sessions.

Other recordings I find quite good:

Brubeck - Time Out HDCD
Getz/Gilberto Remaster
Jason Vieaux - Guitar Recital (Naxos)
Harmonia Mundi - Italian Baroque Concertos (Linn) [This came with a recent BBC Music Magazine]
Danny Elfman - Edward Scissorhands soundtrack
Peace Orchestra - Peace Orchestra
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Alpha - ComeFromHeaven
Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled his Feet

Nov 28, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #22 of 37
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
John Coltrane - Ascension
smily_headphones1.gif

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here
Hans Zimmer & Co. - Gladiator Soundtrack

Nov 28, 2001 at 11:48 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Xevion,

It sounds like a source problem. You should listen to it on a good CD player, with a good headphone amp.

Well, I have to say I am not too far off from being able to get a Denon 370 CDP, but as for the amp it will be a while, my airhead will have to do for the time being. I will listen to it on my different sources and try and see if it breaks up differently. I havent tried the DVD player yet, maybe that is a good idea, as it probably has a much better DAC then the crappy CD players I am using.

Nov 29, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #26 of 37
I have over 900 CDs and I have to say that The Crash Test Dummies "god shuffled his feet" has a special place in my headphones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Not because of the music in particular, but the sound.. there is something about that sound engineering work that makes me love it, lots of detail. I use it a lot to show off the 3k, and people always seem impressed.

Nov 29, 2001 at 1:06 AM Post #27 of 37
Ugh. None of the sources in my house sound significantly different. I tried both my portables (Panasonic SL-SX270, Sony D-242CK), the crappy Sony 5 disc changer, the JVC DVD player (Cheap one), played through DVD-rom on PC, through digital out to Yamaha HTR-5440 and I got the distortion every single time. I even tried it on a crappy Aiwa minisystem and a CD boombox that was hanging around. Most with my KSC-50s.

The specific song it is happening on is Uranus, around the 3-4 minute mark it is worst, where the timpani are used a lot, and they just entirely break up. It sounds like complete crap. Well, if I have to go out tonight I will bring the CD and my KSC-50s and run into Tweeter, and check it out on a couple of their players. But, I am getting a feeling the distortion is in fact there, very badly, on the recording. And I am listening at extremely low volume levels when I test this passage to make sure the amp isn't overloaded, with easy to drive headphones, all at a barely audible level. The HD600s sound no better regarding the distortion either.

This recording gets extremely loud, it has a huge dynamic range, so I still wouldn't be surprised if it is just the crappy CD players I am using, but I don't hear a significant difference in the distortion from player to player.

The timpani in this Holst recording are much louder then the ones I have in a recording of Bethoven's 9th, and much more impactful, which leads me to believe moreso the CD itself could be clipping. Argh.

Argh, this is really annoying.
Is Telarc a good label? I mean they even listed the equipment they used which I find highly unusual.

Nov 29, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #30 of 37
Okay, so it is probably just because the dynamic range is way too wide for my stuff. I am now pining for that Denon, and a nice amp for my headphones. Teeheehee. The bug has really bitten me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back