what is your monthly food budget?
Dec 29, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 39
i'd say about 600 for me, but i eat out practically every meal.
add alcohol to that and it'd be more.
Living in SF, it's alot easier to pick up something to eat vs cooking in...plus the time savings.

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #18 of 39
I think when people live in a good city area, it's easier to spend more money eating out because the food is better.

Since I live in an area where the food sucks (full of medicore chain suburb restaurants), I tend to save more money and cook at home. I don't blame corporations or chain restaurants though. I blame the people for their choice and lack of interest. Ironically, there are so many fat people in my area!

Also, I live in Pennslvania which IMO is possibly the worst food state in the U.S. There is very little or no interest in regional food. Even the local diners are pretty lack luster. But I do spend more money on food in Philadelphia since the food is much better.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #19 of 39
^ Yeah, it sure depends where people live.
Cause I figure those who live in a major city will eat more out, as its easy available. While those living on the countryside don't have those alternatives, and hence eat home.

Bet I had used a lot more if I had several restaurants just around the corner.

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #20 of 39
When I have a Punjab/Indian lunch buffet it's expensive, so I skip breakfast and have a light dinner to make up for that. The lunch is all you can eat. I eat Tandoori chicken, lentils, rice, lamb stew, potatoes vindaloo, spinach, pakora, naan, chai tea, rice pudding, chutneys and Indian pickles. There's more that I can't think of off hand. It's $10.50, for the lunch. This kicks me into the $500.00 a month range, with my wife, if home cooking is included. And I do the lunch about once a week. I started eating Indian food when I lived in London.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #21 of 39
I have a joint account with the special lady friend. I put about 40% of my crappy stipend in it, and all bills as well as groceries (and beer, whoopee!) come out of that.

So, since food at home is in a certain sense "free", I tend not to eat out very much at all.

This works ok, because I can live off of bagel salami and cheddar sandwiches until the end of time, assuming good quality NY sharp cheddar and boar's head genoa salami. You'd be surprised how fast the wrong salami ruins it.

Ruins it, I tell you.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #22 of 39
i have about $400 to spend on food, but i usually spend closer to around $300 per month on food and save up some money for hobbies.

i usually eat at home (rice, sandwiches, bulk processed food, etc.), but i go out a lot too. but when i go out, i usually stick with cheap stuff like the dollar menu at fast food...

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #23 of 39
I have a dining plan, then end up spending a little over $100 a month on other food supplies. Mainly coffee, milk, cereal, and lunchmeat/bread.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 39
We spend an average of about $1200 a month, but that doesn't count what we shell out for School Lunches for the Kids, or when the Wife and I sneak out for lunch every now and then.

We adopted four of our Grandkids and two of them are Teenagers...already!!!

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #26 of 39
$400 for me my wife and daughter. It is done easily with Trader Joe's Grocery. There are like 30 different dinners I can make from food there for less than $8. It is astonishing.

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #27 of 39
less than PHP2,500 a month thats about USD50. Only on weekdays though, on weekends my parents, I'm guessing it would go up to $90 if including weekends

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 39
Ive been working out since this school year began so Ive been trying to gain weight (difficult!). Despite that Id say that Im still well within the 100-200 range, probably around the 170-190 specifically. This isnt including protein supplement.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #30 of 39
I voted $100-200. Usually it's closer to $100 than $200. I eat pretty simply - grains, beans, fresh fruit and vegetables. I eat out for lunch maybe once or twice a month. I'm not vegetarian, but meat for me is more of a flavoring agent than a source of protein.

Now if you had asked about my beer budget... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back