what is your monthly food budget?
Dec 28, 2008 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
I'm just curious. I would like to spend about 300/month, but I can't seem to do it, even if I eat lentils and rice all day. I guess I eat a lot
tongue.gif
And there's all these amazing grocery stores in SF, and I go in for basic amenities and then there's the gourmet olive counter, and the dried fruit bar, and all the bulk candies and nut butters, and etc, etc. then all the piles of organic veggies and fruit... it's very difficult.

So I think I spend around 500/month on food right now, but have spent more...much more...yikes

How much do you all spend per month on food? and if you want, include a post with what kind of eating preferences. Someone who only shops at Whole Foods might spend more/less than the safeway meat and potatoes person.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 39
I spend about $200-$400 depending on how much I eat out during the month. If I do well at bringing lunch with me to work, I may only spend $150 (If doing REALLY well that month).

It's easy to save money if you *really* need to, and you can still eat well. It's just that it's often hard to have enough time to prepare the cheaper meals.

Cheap eating tip: Eat lots of potatoes. Freakin' cheap, rather healthy if not deep fried, and very satisfying with a little bit of salt and butter. Even better, cut a bunch of potatoes (I usually do 4-10, depending on if I'm sharing) into small cubed chunks, put them in a large bowl, pour about 2 teaspoons of oil into the bowl, then season the potatoes however you wish (salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, whatever, sky's the limit here) and toss. The little bit of oil you put in should spread over the potatoes and help the seasonings coat them. Put the potatoes in your (preferably aluminum foil-covered) pan, cover with tin foil, bake at 400 F or so (give or take based on altitude) for about 45 minutes or so or until you really smell them throughout the house. Enjoy! (may take a couple tries to get a good idea of what spices work well, or in what amounts)

Another one that should be obvious: Don't eat out.

Yet another: Cut half the meat, cheese, and dairy (all expensive) you eat out of your diet, and focus more on breads, pastas, rices (grains in general), and vegetables. Do fruits as well, but more sparingly since they're often expensive. Simple things like cutting bacon out of breakfast or not having milk as a casual drink (and more as a recipe item) can seriously cut down on monthly costs.

Finally: If you can do it yourself, do it. It's almost guaranteed to be cheaper than buying anything pre-prepared (unless it says "Organic" on it.....That's a whole other gripe).

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 39
Less than $150.

I eat a lot of pasta and rice. I don't eat much meat at all, and what I do eat is usually pork steaks and ground beef, which is dirt cheap. I don't like cheap chicken because boneless, skinless breasts have no flavor at all.

Veggies and cheeses are probably my most expensive food purchases.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 39
Around $450.
I eat lunch out every weekday, and dinner once a week or so. The rest I eat at home.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 39
Just for me:
Household grocery monthly <$20 per month.
Takeout/delivery/fastfood/corner deli/sit down restaurant ~$200 per month ($10 more if I gotta have moonpies)
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 39
Student, about ~200 Euro a month, if not less.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 39
$100-$150 a month for me. In June, I completely changed my diet and got it down to 800-1,000 calories per day. So far, that's taken almost 70 lbs. off (am down to a 30" waist
smily_headphones1.gif
) and dramatically cut the food bill. I don't mind it, either. About two more months and I'll go up to 1,800-2,000 calories a day, but the cost will only to up to $200 a month. I mostly eat vegetables now, a little meat and no more dairy. No soda or junk food, either. I've never been this thin or felt this good - this change is permanent.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for me:
Household grocery monthly <$20 per month.
Takeout/delivery/fastfood/corner deli/sit down restaurant ~$200 per month ($10 more if I gotta have moonpies)
biggrin.gif

What?! You can survive with that little by just eating out? I eat out maybe twice a month and barely survive with 200 $ by trying to save as much as possible (student budget). I guess living in Finland is too expensive.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 39
I'm a student, and this is the first year I'm not living at home or on a meal plan, so I'm totally responsible for feeding myself. I prefer meals that are easy to cook, and those usually end up being cheap (pasta, PB&J, etc.). I generally never cook red meat for myself, but try to order something with meat when I do eat out. Ordering a pizza or something around once every week and a half, I spend about $180 a month.

One tip for cutting down the food bill: avoid the snack aisle at all costs. It sounds like you go into the grocery store planning to buy the essentials and just start throwing anything that catches your eye into your cart. Make a list and stick to it. It's been a little rough for me getting used to not having snacks, ice cream, soda, etc. when I want it, but it saves a lot of money. One interesting side effect is that when I go home on school breaks, I don't eat the ice cream or drink the soda that my parents buy...

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 39
400-500. With the wife, 625. is our budget, it went way up when gas prices increased and brought food with it, now it seems prices have dropped alittle so i don't know exactly.

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 39
Interesting, there seems to be way more 100-200 and 400-500 than anything else, like people are either on a super tight budget, or they are just getting what they want/need- there are few "slightly frugal" grocery shoppers.

I think my costs are higher than I'd like because I always get creative in the kitchen- when I make pasta, I always start with an onion, and garlic, and then I might throw in a bell pepper, and mushrooms, etc. When everything I make has little extras, it really adds up I guess.

But I'm also Gluten-free, which makes things a bit tricky- many cheap eats involve bread. ie sandwiches
biggrin.gif
boy do I miss sandwiches with good wheat bread! rice bread tastes like elvin bread from lord of the rings, but so far it doesn't seem to have any of the magical qualities...

let's keep it coming, I'm really curious about this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back