What Is Your First Language? - Chinese, English (American, British, ...), French, German, Italian, Spanish, ...?
Apr 26, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canadian english

Isn't that classified as british english, if not what differences are there?

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif

'aye.' ever watch south park? they make fun of the differences all of the time

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Canadian English contains 20% more sarcasm, 20% American English and 10% of the words are derived from French sources (eh!).

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 86
None of the above
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #20 of 86
English. I took a couple years of Spanish in high school but I wish I had taken Japanese or Russian instead, since I would have at least taken an interest in either of those and actually learned something. I instead chose to attempt Spanish since it's "more useful" but ended up dropping it after 2 years as a consequence of my inattention and uninterest in the language.

My boredom with Spanish probably stems from having to take that language in grades 1-6. I didn't learn much in those years but the HS classes seemed old and repetitive nonetheless when I got to them.

Anyways, I don't think foreign languages should be taught at the elementary level as a result of my experience.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 86
Mother tongue - English, as a second language Chinese (I am told that my Cantonese is word perfect and I understand Shanghainese and Mandarin dialects fairly well).

biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #23 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
English. I took a couple years of Spanish in high school but I wish I had taken Japanese or Russian instead, since I would have at least taken an interest in either of those and actually learned something. I instead chose to attempt Spanish since it's "more useful" but ended up dropping it after 2 years as a consequence of my inattention and uninterest in the language.

My boredom with Spanish probably stems from having to take that language in grades 1-6. I didn't learn much in those years but the HS classes seemed old and repetitive nonetheless when I got to them.

Anyways, I don't think foreign languages should be taught at the elementary level as a result of my experience.

I was in a french immersion
school when I was a kid (admittedly not a foreign language in Canada, but still not the most spoken in the province of Manitoba), and that made me love the language so much that I actively try to find opportunities to speak it. I even
lived in the french-speaking province of Quebec for a while working at a french elementary school (speaking in french only of course). Learning new languages is not for everyone, but I don't think they should remove foreign languages from schools.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #26 of 86
Inget av ovanstående.
Geen van bovenstaande.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #27 of 86
I actually learned English and Taiwanese at about the same time, a little bit of Mandarin too. But I voted English since I live in America most of the time. On another note, I've taken French and Japanese in high school and running start, respectively. I'd like to learn Russian sometime.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #28 of 86
I speak American English. I guess more specifically southern California English. Yup...

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 86
English (from my father), Spanish (from my mother), French (from where I grew up), German (from my wife). I would probably have to pick English since I've used that most, although I did speak Spanish first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back