What is your favorite Roxy Music album
Jul 15, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #16 of 26
+1 for Avalon.

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #17 of 26
I love their first 5 albums, especially Stranded.
The albums they made after 1975 are crap (except Avalon maybe).

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #18 of 26
I really like Viva!
That's a fantastic live album, more energetic and raw than their studio work which can sound a bit polished at times.

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like Viva!
That's a fantastic live album, more energetic and raw than their studio work which can sound a bit polished at times.

Ah yes, of course, I forgot that one, how could I.
So I love their first 6 albums, including Viva.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #20 of 26
I dunno…I'm a fan, but I cannot tell a lie…I've always felt Roxy was in kind of a war against campy glam on some of the early discs—and they didn't always win. Later on, Ferry's voice really settled into the music around it…definitely became more "art" than "art school"—which is why Avalon kinda sets a standard. As far as my man Brian Eno is concerned, I find myself playing his early solo discs—Here Come The Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)—much more than I'd ever play For Your Pleasure or Stranded. Of course, that's just me…for what it's worth…

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #24 of 26
Wow my dad just asked me this very difficult question 2 days ago, so I have recently put a fair amount of thought into this. To me it is all about their first 5 albums, (Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure, Stranded, Country Life, Siren) and in addition Avalon is an amazing album and probably has the best sound quality.

As I told my dad if I was hard pressed and really had to make a decision I guess I would give the nod to Country Life because it is their best album from start to finish IMO. That being said any of the other 4 from the first 5 all have atleast one song that is better than anything on Country Life.

If you are into something more experimental go with either Roxy Music, or For Your Pleasure, this is when Eno was still in the band and his influence is certainly felt throught out these two amazing albums.

Cheers!

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #25 of 26
Definitely Viva!

I really rank that as one of my favorite live albums. What that album does well is highlight Roxy Music's musicians (who were fantastic) rather than Bryan Ferry's, er, voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back