What is your favorite portable on-the-go compact amp setup?
Jun 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Craigster75

Headphoneus Supremus
I really enjoy my FiiO E11 and appreciate the impact on the volume and clarity of my headphones that I was able to gain from a modest investment, particularly the bass enhancement.  Since many of us listen to music on the go more than at home, I thought it would be good to discuss portable audiophile setups that are truly portable.  Specifically, headphone amps that are small enough to use during a workout, use a rechargeable battery and enhance the sound quality of your portable device along with the cans that match up well with them.  With many options and The Vamp coming out for Iphone users, I would welcome everyone's feedback to help me find other portable amps and have an even better setup, since we are always striving for better sound.  For example, when I paired my FiiO E11 (bass on high setting) with M-Audio Q40 headphones, I experienced the best bass and sub bass I ever heard. 

Two sample products in addition to the FiiO that look interesting:

http://www.headamp.com/pico/pico_slim_amp/index.htm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57318697-47/can-a-portable-headphone-amplifier-satisfy-demanding-audiophiles/?tag=txt;title

I look forward to hearing what is working for your portable setup.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 10
hisoundaudio studio v  player... 
popcorn.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Clip+ -> DigiZoid 2.3 -> HiFi RE262

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 10
HM-801 ---> Portaphile 627 -----> SM3's

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
iPod Touch 4G -> SendStation LOD -> Fiio L8 cable -> JDSLabs C421-2227 -> Sennheiser HD25-1 II

I should try my old Q40's with this amp.  I've noticed that they are wayyy darker than I ever thought after I got the HD25's and the Shure 440's.  The amp might help though.

The thing I don't like about the Q40 is that they are dark AND sibilant- a really bad combination.  Do you know if the Fiio L8 cable is universally compatible to connect Apple to almost any portable amp?

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
The thing I don't like about the Q40 is that they are dark AND sibilant- a really bad combination.  Do you know if the Fiio L8 cable is universally compatible to connect Apple to almost any portable amp?

Yeah the L8 is just a very short 1/8" to 1/8" male to male cable with right angle connectors.  So you could plug it in to your headphone out on your Apple product and and the input on your portable amp.  If the amp needs a 1/4" connector you could use an adapter, but most if not all portable are 1/8".  If you're not using it with a SendStation though, I would suggest you use an L9 instead so you get the benefits of using the line out instead of the headphone out.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back