What is your favorite music to space out with your headphones on??
Dec 6, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #76 of 101
Neither was I trying to discredit your taste, pikawel. No slight taken or intended.

It does sound like we have different tastes, but I will try Shpongle later on.

Right now, I'm listening to Arovane's rmx of Pub's Summer. Before that, Lateral Forces by Kit Clayton.

Dec 8, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #77 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?
Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger
Pink Floyd
Klaus Schulze
Tangerine Dream
Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Jean-Michel Jarre
Philip Glass

Ditto with the addition of Terry riley's "rainbow in curved air"

Dec 8, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
"This man has it right."

I'm not saying he has it wrong -- I agree with DC on certain artists -- but none of that particular music would work for me. I actually played The Photographer with Kurt Munc and the rest of Glass's ensemble. I find that music to be excruciating to the point where I dropped my connection with Kurt -- no doubt to the detriment of my music career. Giacinto Scelsi and John Adams are the only minimalists I can tolerate. It's not a question of exposure: I can not only play Reich and Glass, I could compose like them, too, if I wished. (It's easier than some people might think.)

You have to forgive some of us. We're jaded and require different dosages and different blends. I don't like the absinthe down the street because I've wearied of their wormwood.

Nothing personal. No slight on anyone else's taste. I'm only speaking to my fellow last legs listeners.

your taste is up your arse mate..... period

Dec 8, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #79 of 101
An amazing combination, Pink Floyd -- mindless insult, brazen valorization of your own ignorance, mindless dismissal of one kind of music for another. It's not just your taste that's absent (since you offer no reasons for privileging yours over everyone else's). It's your intellect and self-restraint as well.

Lashing out at people who disagree with you politely is proof that you live in your lower intestine. No one else even has to say it.

But since you've already mentioned it:

I grew up having to know about Rainbow on Curved Air. There is absolutely nothing to that composition. I wonder whether you are able to subdivide the ostinato in that piece, which repeats endlessly until the listener either dies or switches off the stereo in frustration, or if the admiration you profess is simply another grunt of thoughtless self-absorption.

And really -- hats off to you for elevating the tone of the discussion.

Dec 10, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #81 of 101
Not sure if this has been covered before, because I haven't read this entire thread, but here I go:

Inade - Aldebaran: Inade are, in my opinion, the MASTERS of mystical/spacy/dark ambient. "Aldebaran" is probably my favorite album of theirs, and is really their landmark work. It's a concept album, based on the star Aldebaran and the Black Sun mythos (I think it's a Celtic belief...) I cannot recommend this album enough. It can be had cheaply in the USA from Malignant Records and Cold Spring in Europe.

Lustmord - The Place Where the Black Stars Hang: Though Lustmord's older work (Monstrous Soul, Heresy etc.) is massively original and innovative, it doesn't age too well. Those "night of the demon" samples get a little cheesy for me, and I've found a lot of the CMI folk do the "dungeon ambient" thing better. Not so with Black Stars. This album is a masterpiece. It is an obvious influence on Inade's "Aldebaran" and in some ways, even better than it. 75 minutes of unbelievably ominous, evil outer-space drones, whirs, and moans... I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I am terrified to death of aliens ("Signs" put me into shock - literally), but this album is horrifying to my ears. God, the spaceship sounds on the first track send chills down my spine.

Reutoff - anything: These guys are a relatively new band from Russia, who are absolutely one of the most amazing bands I've ever heard. Calling them "industrial" or "dark ambient" does not do them justice. They really have their feet dipped into all genres, and they are masters at it. Their releases are tough to find (a few tapes, a few CDRs, some compilation appearances, and a recently-released full-length CD) but WELL worth tracking down. Try their webpage, right here.

I highly recommend the previous recommendations for Vladislav Delay, especially "Multila." One track on there - "Pietola" I think it is - is a 16 minute morass of drones, synth, and ultra-chaotic clicky beats. Wonderful.

If anyone's interested these or other things, feel free to PM me and I'll hook you up with MP3s or something. A good source is Soulseek - message me if you like (nick: "minya").

Hope someone finds this interesting,
- Chris

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #82 of 101
moody blues- days of future passed; miles davis- birth of the cool; satie-piano works; neil young-decade; the cure-the head on the door; cary numan-tubeway army premier hits; joy division-substance; sarah vaughan-jazz profile {in particular track 3 " key largo"}

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #83 of 101
What is your favorite music to space out with your headphones on??

the beta band: the beta band (bizzare, funny music. i get completely engulfed)

brian eno: apollo: atmospheres and soundtracks (ambient)

pink floyd: wish you were here

stereolab: space-aged bachelor pad music (on vinyl, warm & hypnotic art-pop)

philip glass: akhnaten (minimalist opera--extremely hypnotic)

michael brook: cobalt blue (w/ brian eno)

the orb: the orb's adventures beyond the ultraworld

dead can dance: spiritchaser (spooky, great mix for headphones)

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

An amazing combination, Pink Floyd -- mindless insult, brazen valorization of your own ignorance, mindless dismissal of one kind of music for another. It's not just your taste that's absent (since you offer no reasons for privileging yours over everyone else's). It's your intellect and self-restraint as well.

Lashing out at people who disagree with you politely is proof that you live in your lower intestine. No one else even has to say it.

I grew up having to know about Rainbow on Curved Air. There is absolutely nothing to that composition. I wonder whether you are able to subdivide the ostinato in that piece, which repeats endlessly until the listener either dies or switches off the stereo in frustration, or if the admiration you profess is simply another grunt of thoughtless self-absorption.

Nothing quite beats a "grunt of thoughtless self-absorption" in my view. Well maybe a nice long sphincter rattling fart comes close and I totally agree with your appraisal of my lower intestine.

At least I'm down to Earth and call a fart a fart. I don't attempt to wrap it up and try to present it as some psuedo intellectual theosis on wind expulsion and analyse it and comment on it's ostinato and poor timing.

Nah, only the anal retentive wrap things up in flowery craptalk prose assuming that the rest of the world is captivated listening to their nonsensical drones. As I say, a fart's a fart and you sure do produce a lot of gas mate.

Dec 10, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #85 of 101
Meant to add (on a purely musical note) that the recurring
melodic fragment you referred to is the underpinning bassline that puts todays youth into a "trance"

I'm not a great lover of repetitive notes (sounds a bit like going up and down the scales when practising the guitar) but threw Terry riley's "Rainbow in curved air" in purely to show the younger generation, who thrive on this type of thing, that ostinato is not unique to the 21st Century. Rainbow has its moments however and if you can't hear them I suggest you take a tab.

Dec 10, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #86 of 101
Anything classical really helps me unstress and just relax. I don't have to pay much attention to the music, but just having it on is a help.

Dec 10, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #87 of 101
Quote:

Talking of Terry Riley's repetitive basslines... it would be a good idea if you could add a bit of "ostinato" to your website as none of the links work. http://users.rcn.com/scrypt/

Maybe this is a sign of how disjointed your book is?? If so, I ain't buying it... I prefer a book that is full of "ostinato" and continuity. Get your own house in order before commenting on peoples lower intestines you pervert!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back