What is your favorite music to space out with your headphones on??
Nov 2, 2002 at 12:05 PM Post #61 of 101
could someone PLEASE make an effort to listen to
Banco de gaia - Maya
if u like ambient u will love this :0)
oh,, and if i had to choose 2 songs that make me go all funny inside it would have to be the Orb with little fluffy clouds (her voice does things to me.. lol ) and FSOL- papua new guinea

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #62 of 101
for me, this has gotta be

PINK FLOYD.

Both the Pulse and the Echoes boxset on Vinyl will do it for me everytime
biggrin.gif

Sound As Ever

Nov 4, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #64 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by hawk
try the new sigur ros cd

What he said. It's amazing.

On a similar note, Talk Talk's albums, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are both pretty nicely post-rock.

I've been really digging indie instrumental albums like Subarachnoid Space's These Things Take Time, Mogwai's Young Team and the bonus disk to the Church's Holograms of Baal.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #65 of 101
Any album by Notwist.

Imagine if Belle & Sebastian decided to do an album with Einsturzende Neubaten, with a distinctively German pop flavor. Very neat stuff to listen to.

Nov 6, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #66 of 101
I know this is kinda odd... but i like to space out to "Heroes" by David Bowie...

Brings back many memories of Berlin...

Nov 6, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #67 of 101
Belle and Sebastian playing with Neubauten is just way too disturbing to even think about. Hopefully Blixa would trap the little Scottish bastards in the studio and make them listen Kollaps on full volume until their little indie heads exploded. Oops thinking out loud again...

Dec 4, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #68 of 101
Goodness, I can't believe I haven't posted here sooner. Hopefully this thread will rival "My Darkest desires..." for those of us who like to space out
smily_headphones1.gif

Chain Reaction/Basic Chanel: Two labels from Berlin, Basic Chanel being the earlier of the two and now defunct. They released a lot of minimal techy/housey/dubby stuff that was labelled "heroin house" by some journalists. Funnily enough, the label was kinda appropriate - the music is very narcotic. The Basic Chanel compilation is a good place to start, but it is the 12" releases that really highlight the narcotic nature of the music, as the cuts are significantly longer. My fave Chain Reaction artists/releases have been:

Porter Ricks "Biokinetics", Various Artists "Decay Product", Fluxion "Vibrant Forms II" and Vladislav Delay "Multila". Vladislav Delay has already been mentioned a few times, and rightly so. The exquisite combination of blips, hisses, crackles and samples are gorgeous. Check out the following link for more information about these two labels.

http://home.snafu.de/circonium/music/

Two related labels are Burial Mix/Rhythm and Sound. Check out Rhythm and Sound with Tikiman "Showcase" and Rhythm and Sound "Rhythm and Sound". Both are excellent, chilled and very dubby. The above link has information on these releases.

There is a whole lot more stuff that I can recommend, but I'll have to post later when I have more time. Keep the good suggestions coming everyone!

Dec 4, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #69 of 101
Christ, this thread is old. I just realized I talked about Basic Channel, Vladislav Delay and many of the artists below on the very first page.

-----------------------------

stymie miasma:

I believe I mentioned Basic Channel, Chain Reaction, Vlad Delay and Stephen Betke (a.k.a., Pole, mastering engineer for D&M and therefore all of the Channel/Reaction stuff -- he's the reason Multila sounds better than anything else Delay's done) on the *music to sleep to* thread, Porter Ricks under the neglected musicians thread. I also like a lot of work on Betke's label (~scape). The latest release, deadhead's Wild Life Documentaries, is reminiscent of Rhythm & Sound at its most straight ahead.

The Porter Ricks/Techno Animal trade-off on Milles Plateaux is sweet, of course. But I also like Thomas Koner (half of Porter Ricks) as a solo artist. Nuuk is my favorite album to sleep to; I listen to it every night -- literally. I also like Daikon and Koner's collaborations with Tiechens (such as Kontakte der Jugend). Monolake's Hong Kong also issues from the Chain Reaction days. Cinemascope is rather good, too -- especially from an engineering standpoint.

Still, nothing bests tracks like BC's Radiance for hazy listless mist-on-scratched-aluminum warmth. I actually own the 12" of Radiance II just to savor the surface noise overlay topping the track's warm hiss.

If you haven't listened to a composer named Giacinto Scelsi, I highly recommend him. He likes to work with drones but did so long before LaMonte Young and is far better than any of the 80s minimalists. A collection of short Scelsi pieces (such as ed RZ 1014) is a good place to start.

People who like slow atmospheric music might also like pub's _Do you ever regret pantomime?_.

On the housier side of space, Murcof (Martes) is really good at blending fragments of classical music with sparse dark "four on the floor" (as they used to say at the Paradise Garage). Most artists don't make the splice sound quite this organic.

People who like experimental minimal textures with guitar might like _History Has No Effect_, a new album by Anthony Braxton's son. I actually dislike guitar music for the most part, but I really do like the slowed down root movement on this particular album.

And don't forget DJ Krush's Kakusei -- possibly the most rhythmically abstract album he ever made.

Have I mentioned Wolfgang Voigt? His work under the pseudonyms Gas and M:1:4 fall into the space category neatly. I highly recommend Konigsforst, Zauberberg and Pop -- classic albums to audition on the nod. Voigt's version of ambient is rooted in house, but has a dark Germanic quality that some (including Voigt) seem to associate with Bavarian forests.

Dec 4, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #70 of 101
Stars of the Lid "Tired Sounds of..."
Lustmord "The Place Where Dark Stars Hang"
Boards of Canada "Music Has the Right to Children"
The Orb "The Orb's Adventures Beyond..."
Aphex Twin "Selected Ambient Works"
All of Kit Claytons stuff

Dec 5, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #71 of 101
Phil Keaggy: The Wind and the Wheat
Pete Gray: Misc Prayers - 45 minutes of synth improvisations by a friend of mine. If I can ever get around to getting the tape cleaned up, I am going to set him up on MP3.com. Good stuff

Unfortunately, I now have an office with a window view that is perfect for spacing out. From a sitting position all I can see are trees and Arkansas Mountains (hills almost anywhere else in the world, but still nice to look at.) The fall color is almost gone, but grey, green and brown are still nice as its a sunny day.

I need to start working nights.

Dec 5, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #72 of 101
just recently discovered and still getting used to but worth mentioning, "shalabi effect" very good "floydesque" with a mix of middle eastern influenced instruments, very "spacey"

Dec 6, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #73 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?
Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger
Pink Floyd
Klaus Schulze
Tangerine Dream
Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Jean-Michel Jarre
Philip Glass

Amen to Shpongle / Halluciongen / Pink Floyd / Godspeed.

This man has it right.

Dec 6, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #74 of 101
"This man has it right."

I'm not saying he has it wrong -- I agree with DC on certain artists -- but none of that particular music would work for me. I actually played The Photographer with Kurt Munc and the rest of Glass's ensemble. I find that music to be excruciating to the point where I dropped my connection with Kurt -- no doubt to the detriment of my music career. Giacinto Scelsi and John Adams are the only minimalists I can tolerate. It's not a question of exposure: I can not only play Reich and Glass, I could compose like them, too, if I wished. (It's easier than some people might think.)

You have to forgive some of us. We're jaded and require different dosages and different blends. I don't like the absinthe down the street because I've wearied of their wormwood.

Nothing personal. No slight on anyone else's taste. I'm only speaking to my fellow last legs listeners.

Dec 6, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #75 of 101
I was being somewhat facetcious. He's dead-on with my tastes :p. Of course there's no right and wrong in music (except Nu-Metal, boy bands, 21 and under divas and 14 year old rappers and...) and I wasn't looking to discredit anyone's tastes.

If you haven't heard Shpongle, listen to what's easily considered their epic "Divine Moments of Truth" or DMT if you're looking to experiment... hur hur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back