What is your favorite live album?
Aug 3, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT King Biscuit Flower Hour

Thanks for the link JMT. Those were some great radio programs.
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #34 of 49
Landmarq - Thunderstruck.

Excellent live vocals (as always by the criminally underrated Tracy Hitchings) What also makes this set a bit different is that she also does some of the songs that were sung by the previous male singer.

Aug 3, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #35 of 49
Portishead - Roseland NYC Live
...better-sounding recording than any of
their studio stuff, in my opinion.

The Clash - From Here to Eternity / Live
...collection taken from several live
performances during their prime. You
really feel the energy of their live
shows through these recordings

Aug 3, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Hisham
Depeche Mode - 101 (I wish I was there)

nice live album. DM's music is obviously very mechanized (well, pre Violator at least) and there's a lack of humanity on their albums. but 101 amazingly adds some warmth and character to their music. maybe it's Gahan's commanding performance, maybe Gore's backing vocals are more prominent (his solo songs are really good, especially "Somebody") or the loud, appreciating crowd.

i've read on many DM and other music boards that people said that this particular DM performance wasn't really up to par. i've also read that Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark's set (who opened for the tour) was much much better that night. sadly, it wasn't recorded, and Andy McCluskey (lead singer of OMD) hates live albums.

yeah... i wish i was there too.
frown.gif
i did see DM at MSG on their singles tour though... amazing setlist! and yeah, Dave Gahan is commanding. he had the whole audience wrapped around his finger.

Aug 3, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #38 of 49
Hmm, Clapton's Unplugged is definately not bad. Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" and Sarah McLachlan's "Mirrorball" are also worth a listen. (Both are also available on DVD).
I'm also kind of partial to "Hell freezes over" by The Eagles, even if it is the most abused live-album in the history of mankind
tongue.gif

/U.

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #40 of 49
Einsturzende Neubauten, 09-15-2000, Live In Brussels
Laurie Anderson, Live at Town Hall, New York City, September 19-20, 2001 (also, United States Live)
Porcupine Tree, Coma Divine

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:37 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Hey, I remember that article. I also recall listening to an interview with Terry Kath on the King Biscuit Flower Hour where he said the same thing. It is still one of my favorite live albums though, not for the quality of the recording, but for the content. And the fact that it is the only live album that I know of with Terry Kath. The guy was an incredible guitarist.

I got the album too. Horns do sound funny, but the performance is incredible and the song selection is incredible as well.

Aug 6, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #44 of 49
Led Zeppelin How the West Was Won is at the top of my list currently.

Other favorites:

Byrds Live at the Fillmore February 1968
The Doors in Concert
Cream Wheels of Fire
Live at the Kaleidoscope 1969 Canned Heat

Aug 6, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #45 of 49
I would have to vote for Waiting for Columbus -- Little Feat. Really captured the band at their best. Of course, according to the liner notes on Hotcakes and Outtakes, much of the albumn was redubbed in the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back