Quote:

Originally posted by Nisbeth
Can I vote for Irish Coffee
biggrin.gif

/U.

whoa! indeed
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #32 of 174
Almost anything that is fresh and roasted dark. One of the few good things about where i currently live is there are a few coffee houses that roast their own.

Peets is pretty good. I get that when I'm in the Bay Area. Unlike some of you, I don't mind Starbucks. It's sort of like McDonalds, at least you arent going to wonder what its going to taste like from store to store.

It's actually pretty easy to roast your own. Get a hot air popcorn popper and buy some green beans. Roast until you get the color you want. Do it outside, because their is a fair amount of outer skin that comes off the beans as they roast.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #34 of 174
I tasted some coffee at Peet's today called "Aged Sulawesi Peaberry" - I really liked it, but $60 a pound is way too expensive.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #35 of 174
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Hey, can anyone recommend a good chain other than starbucks?

Well, I think Peet's is good, but they only have stores in California, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, and Boston.

Oh - I just remembered one more coffee that I like: a friend brought me back some coffee from Cuba last year. I doubt that I'll ever be able to get it again, though...

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #36 of 174
It is absolutely essential for me to have the freshest beans available. Usually French roast. I have two fairly decent espresso machines, a La Pavoni Europicola and A Gaggia Coffee. These are mid level machines, but crank out some very decent morning lattes for me and my honey. I have had the La Pavoni for 15 years and have used it every single day! I consistently crank out shots that blow Starbucks away. The weak link is my grinder, which is a blade type. True espresso requires a burr type grinder, which is very expensive $350.00.) As my birthday is this Monday, I am toying with the idea of an upgrade. I am also lusting after an ECM Giotto machine ($1,500.00 range) and a true professional expresso machine for the home) Oh yeah, I buy my beans, 3 lbs at a time from the Gourmet Coffee Warehouse, Venice, Ca. They gtee. roasting within 24 hours of purchase and this does make a difference. Their beans rule.

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #37 of 174
Quote:

Originally posted by Lion Zion
I consistently crank out shots that blow Starbucks away. The weak link is my grinder, which is a blade type. True espresso requires a burr type grinder, which is very expensive $350.00.)

sounds like you would really benefit investing in a burr grinder. A much more consistent and nicer shaped grind
cool.gif
How about the Rocky Grinder?
biggrin.gif

Speaking of starbucks. I've noticed they usually have a monster commerical espresso machine and the barista even does a pretty good 30ml pull. So it must be the beans?? which is weird.. because ive tried some really stale beans that still tasted much better than your starbucks.

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #38 of 174
Quote:

Originally posted by Lion Zion
The weak link is my grinder, which is a blade type. True espresso requires a burr type grinder, which is very expensive $350.00.)

Here's a first rate conical (the BEST kind) burr grinder for under a $110 bux.

Coffee Bean Coral - Solis Conical Burr grinder

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #40 of 174
Kwkarth; Thanks for the heads up. The grinder I had my eye on is the Mini Mazzer. There are never deals on this grinder that I can find, but it is considered the best consumer grinder on the market. The Rocky Rancilio being 2nd ($250.00) I figuered save for the Rolls Royce and avoid trading up in the future. I am as obsessed with coffee and espresso machine/grinders as I am with headphones! There is a great site called coffeegeek.com. I never learned how to show the link.. sorry and thanks again.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #41 of 174
Aug 16, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #42 of 174
The Mini Mazzer is supposed to be a great grinder! I have personal experience with the Solis as I own one. The conical burr grinder strikes me as being the best design for grinding coffee beans. I have owned flat burr designs (like the Mazzer) in the past and have not found them to produce as consistent and uniform a grain size as the conical burrs. Anyway, best of luck!

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #45 of 174
If you want the best non-expresso coffee I suggest to go get a vacpot. It's like adding a amp to your coffee setup. Everything has much more detail and the taste separation is amazing . Of course you need a good source (bean) to go with it.
biggrin.gif

Right now I have some australian skybury that I buy from a roaster which is pretty good. . I have a low end burr grinder and I drink it black.

Oh ya if you get a vac pot don't foget to heat your water first here how to do it from coffeekid

http://www.coffeekid.com/coffee/vacpots/brewmethod

What I do is I have some near boiling water in a automatic boiller then I add it to the vac pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back