What is your Daily Driver IEM and you pure pleasure set?
May 20, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #31 of 53
:thumbsup:That's a Great user name! I'm very curious about the Sony IER sets. I've never had the opportunity to hear any of them and they get such stellar reviews. Maybe someday.

The Sony M9 is a warm neutral all BA set that has very good technicalities (soundstage/imaging/instrument separation/details). Considering it has BAs inside, the timbre is quite natural, not much BA timbre that may plague other pure BA types. It is quite hard to drive though.

The Sony Z1R is a V shaped set with superb bass and resolution. But some users (including myself) have bad fitting with it, so unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. Big pity, I like the sound a lot. So maybe best to audition a set first and see if it fits before springing a purchase.

May 20, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #32 of 53
Daily driver I REACH FOR Obsidian OH10 for its sheer presentation and its wicked soundstage ummmmm and for pure pleasure I loving my my PENON Globe's!

May 20, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #33 of 53
:beerchug: It does never end. What does your full size system look like?
After pitting the Stellia and HD 820 together, stuck with the 820. It just had more of the wow/fun factor.

Then I got serious about getting an open-back set. Heard the Utopia at an audio meet and instantly fell in love. Never thought I'd drop that much dough on a headphone, but don't regret it. It's given me such enjoyment.

Still like IEM's though, especially for listening in bed or at the office. The KSE gives me that level of micro detail, which I value so much by itself. But when I can, I always go for the Utopia. It has both the macro and detail details.

May 21, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #34 of 53
There's no comparison the hook's are super spacious stage with great bass. It's the first iem where it's more about the whole rather than breaking it down to its composite parts. They are just special
Yeah....I think you may have sold me. I've been looking for a Planar set to love and replace the P1's. This maybe it and the price is right too. 🤑 Time to get my fix.

May 21, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #35 of 53
Public transport/office drivers: Final E1000 and Ety ER2XR
Serious session IEMs: IER-Z1R and Aroma Jewel
I hear so many people love those Z1R's It just the price that keeps me from trying them. I use my Ety ER2XR's exclusively at my office for listening to anything on the computer while I'm at work. I find them extremely comfortable as I have very deep and wide ear canals. It's funny, they are unique in my collection. They are so clear and natural, flat I guess, and they fit so well that it's like I'm not even wearing IEM's. They Isolate very well too. Maybe I'll get another pair to use while I mow the lawn. The Mele's sound great but they do not isolate well.

May 21, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #36 of 53
After pitting the Stellia and HD 820 together, stuck with the 820. It just had more of the wow/fun factor.

Then I got serious about getting an open-back set. Heard the Utopia at an audio meet and instantly fell in love. Never thought I'd drop that much dough on a headphone, but don't regret it. It's given me such enjoyment.

Still like IEM's though, especially for listening in bed or at the office. The KSE gives me that level of micro detail, which I value so much by itself. But when I can, I always go for the Utopia. It has both the macro and detail details.
Yep. It's all I can do to keep from splurging on a new set of full sized cans. I've gone to about 6 local Michigan HeadFi meets and gotten to know a couple of the other regulars. One of them had took the leap and purchased his dream set, the ZMF Vérité Closed. When I tried them I could see why. The sound was amazing. He said he had been trying out many different mfg's sets and that was the one that rang his bell. I liked it a lot, but it did not ring my bell the way the KSE1200 did when I got it. I'm looking for a set of full sized cans that does that for me. It's like with women, I'll know the right one when I find it, then worry about how to pay for them after.

May 21, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #37 of 53
Daily driver I REACH FOR Obsidian OH10 for its sheer presentation and its wicked soundstage ummmmm and for pure pleasure I loving my my PENON Globe's!
:thumbsup:Your post is one of the reasons I love this hobby. I have never even heard of the two sets you are mentioning and they are obviously great or you would not love them so much.
Off to Google search Obsidian OH10 & Penon Globes!

May 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #38 of 53
Daily driver and serious listening: SeeAudio Bravery, mostly, and Penon Serial when the DD mood strikes

My other IEMs are gathering dust and might need to be sold.
Again, two sets I know nothing about. I think I'm going to start tabulating the responses to see what sets are the most prevalent. Penon is moving up the list.

May 21, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #39 of 53
Daily driver: EE Odin
Serious listening: EE Odin
I have others, but find this is the pair that brings the biggest thrill.
They get so many high recommendations. It is was not for the price they would be high on my Try List.

May 21, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #40 of 53
Daily driver: IE900

Serious listening: IE900

Pure pleasure: IE900
I'm a Sennhieser Fan but have never tried on of their IEM's. I really need to try one of them out. The problem is, if I do I'm gonna buy one. It's pretty much a given. :rolling_eyes:

May 21, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #41 of 53
Again, two sets I know nothing about. I think I'm going to start tabulating the responses to see what sets are the most prevalent. Penon is moving up the list.
I have not got around to reviewing the Bravery. Here is my review of the Bravery in haiku fashion:

Dramatic, vivid?
Hush, ears! Closed blinds, candlelight,
Silk sheets, pillow talk

Even after several months, the Bravery is the IEM that I nearly always reach for. I am hearing rumors of an anniversary version of the Bravery coming soon.

Here are some other opinions:

SeeAudio Bravery Reviews

Check out the Penon thread for impressions of the Serial. I think most people will love the Serial.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #42 of 53
I'm currently happy with my beloved JH Contour XO, after spending a fortune on some IEMs considered TOTL ones and comparing those sets with my Contour XO, I find myself reaching for the Contour XO most of the time, and actually selling all of the not so TOTL pairs.

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #43 of 53
GS Audio SE12, Letshuoer EJ07M, Yanyin Canon are in my rotation

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #45 of 53
That's what I did. It was worth it for sure - I liked the u12t more than my Utopias for 1/3rd the price.
I notice though that you list your u12t in your past headphones, not present ... what replaced them for you? Just curious, as a happy u12t owner.
Why did/do you like them more than the Utopias?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back