what is your amp vs. source cost ratio?
Sep 20, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #48 of 56
Hmmm, cool I originally wanted to derive some golden ratio for my own Source/Amp budgeting, but it looks to be all over the place, errr hmm. Okay.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #50 of 56
Well. I have essentially two separate home rigs (DAC/CDP/2 Amps).

Also used or retail?

My amps are in all cases slightly more expensive to a lot more expensive than my sources.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #52 of 56
it would depend on how many uses the amp would have for exemple the RSA apache is a preamp, single ended amp and balanced amp or the cary 300b is headphones and speakers wheras some are simply singlended.

If I was going high quality singlend only I might venture 2:1 source :amp
if I had an amp that served multiple purposes the ratio might be the inverse.

One thing is for sure you go cheap (low quality) on either and it handicaps the other. Also do not discount that price alone is not a pure indicator of quality. I have heard high priced cmponents that were crap

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not non-existent, its just infinity
biggrin.gif

btw, how does the 301 sound with the senns?

A little slower and muddier than the (my idea of) ultimate ideal, actually.

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #55 of 56
Not counting my computer, which is my digital source, I paid $400 for my GLite/DPS (used) and $400 for my Adcom GCD-750 (DAC and occasional CD transport.) My headphones (HD-650s) were $340 shipped in late 2004. My power conditioner (Monster HTS-5100 Mk II) was $420 delivered. I paid $150 for my headphone cables (Blue Dragon Mk IIs) and $50-ish for my interconnects (Kimber KC1s).

Using $400 as the base price, my investment ratio works out this way:
Cans: 0.85:1
Source: 1:1
Amp: 1:1
Cables (combined) 0.5:1
Power: 1.05:1

That's in order impact on the sound. Clearly, the HD-650s are a pretty good deal.
eggosmile.gif
Conversely, the power condition is of somewhat questionable value. It was the last item I purchased, and what I find is that clean power lets all the other components synergize with each other, so its value is not as easy to quantify. I certainly don't regret it.
k1000smile.gif

The only items I bought new were the 650s and the Dragons. I got the GLite/DPS, Adcom, and Kimbers used, mostly off the 'Bay. The Monster was technically NOS, I believe. There's nothing gee-whiz or exotic in my rig, but I'm very happy with the sound of it. For me, at least, I've found the sweet spot in the law of diminishing returns.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to talking myself out of a pair of TakeTs.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back