What is wrong with SS amp?
May 19, 2009 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

godspeed

New Head-Fier
Well, a question comes to my mind while I was reading all the amp forum..

Everytime someone is asking for a SS amp, we all end by recommending those amps:

Kicas caliente
graham Solo
headamp G lite
M^3
EC/SS
X can V8
Audio C2C
Cantate

Some recommends to get a DSP/PSU1/S11 or whatever power supply.

And finally for serious headphones and serious money the B22 seems to the "king"

But come on..all the amps comes in the 400-500$ market price (bit more with the power supply) and the B22 in the 1700-2000$ (with no skills of DIY of course)

You see my point...there is no SS amps in the price market between 500$-1700$ (except may be rudistor but these amps are only recommend for very few headphones such as denon)

What does that means?

Does it mean that we reach the top quality of SS amp with 500$ and the only way to get the "audio nirvana" with a SS amp is to pay 1200$ more for a B22!

When I look at the tube amps, there are plenty of them filling every price target from 200$ to 2000$. I can't believe there is no SS amp between the 750$-$1000 and between 1000$-1500$ that can beat all the 500$ amps..

is it a lack of love for SS amp that forces audio companies not to care of them or is it simply that SS amps reach top quality for only 500$...

Any thoughts??

May 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 14
Grace Design M902, about $1700, barely reaching your standard.
Meier Symphony, $1310, another good choice.

So there are still some SS amp in your range
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 14
GS-1 Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amp $899
Talisman T-35HP $1000
Lehmann Black Cube Linear $1080
Meier Audio Corda Symphony $1500
HeadRoom Desktop Amp $699
HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp $1099
Melos SHA-1 headphone amplifier $1095
Blue Circle SBH $1195.00
Beta 22 (2 board version) $??? but within the range
TTVJ FET-A solid state amp $700
ALO Audio Amphora SS headphone amp $1000
Sugden Bijou Headmaster $1100
jecklinsmile.gif

May 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by godspeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does that means?

It means that you sir, can't search good enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by godspeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You see my point...there is no SS amps in the price market between 500$-1700$ (except may be rudistor but these amps are only recommend for very few headphones such as denon)

Actually Rudistor RPX-33 handles variety of headphones very well (can't speaker for the other models as I haven't heard them). Even 701 have very good deep bass. It can deal with AKG, Senn., AT, JVC, Denon, Ultrasone etc just fine.

Couple of amps you should also investigate are:

Luxman P1 and the new cheaper model; and
SPL Auditor and Phonitor.

May 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 14
Skylab reviewed the Blue Circle SBH a while back and liked it a lot. It sells for about $1100, now. A new improved version is being sold in a PVC case and is called the Hat Peed Thingee: Blue Circle Audio . It uses a different opamp in the output stage; can be purchased with a large or small power supply; and also includes optional capacitors pack choices that both store and regulate DC current. I am told that Skylab will review this model soon.

I am very happy with my original, modified SBH, which I also use -- and find very satisfying -- as a preamp.

May 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS-1 Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amp $899
Talisman T-35HP $1000
Lehmann Black Cube Linear $1080
Meier Audio Corda Symphony $1500
HeadRoom Desktop Amp $699
HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp $1099
Melos SHA-1 headphone amplifier $1095
Blue Circle SBH $1195.00
Beta 22 (2 board version) $??? but within the range
TTVJ FET-A solid state amp $700
ALO Audio Amphora SS headphone amp $1000
Sugden Bijou Headmaster $1100
jecklinsmile.gif

ok my bad, apparently my thread is useless
biggrin.gif
and they are plenty of other SS amp.

But what I really wanted to say is that most of the time head-fiers recommand the 500$ amp I listed and all the amp you list are barely named or only by few...No doubt the above amps are very good....so what don't they appear more often in forums for SS recommendation?

May 19, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Because both the luxman and SPL headphone amp is relatively new, in fact, their cheaper models just came out. And as their flagship model's price isn't low so not many people have it.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 14
Was checking at cheap SS amps and found this thread, and "none" of the former.

As an answer to the OP, I have good news about SS amps.
The best advantage of SS amps over Tube amps is, apart from the latter getting really warm, is that decent SS amps are really cheap to build. They have very good THD+N%. What is the problem then?

That if you want an "audiophile grade" SS amp it can't be cheap, because it wouldn't be for audiophiles...
rolleyes.gif

Then you have this pro headphone amps with loads of headphone inputs, that are technically speaking very good. They add very little distortion. So what is the deal? They are not good looking amps, but they do the job, and good.

So if you are still looking for a cheap SS amp (that doesn't get over the 400$ mark), you should try some Pro headphone amps. What you are basically paying for in those >$400 SS amps are looks, expensive materials, looks and not much.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 14
The issue is that the cheaper amps, both tube AND solid state, are the ones that get the most coverage, because they are within reach of the largest number of people. Makes perfect sense. But as pointed out there are LOTS of good amps available at higher prices.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was checking at cheap SS amps and found this thread, and "none" of the former.

As an answer to the OP, I have good news about SS amps.
The best advantage of SS amps over Tube amps is, apart from the latter getting really warm, is that decent SS amps are really cheap to build. They have very good THD+N%. What is the problem then?

That if you want an "audiophile grade" SS amp it can't be cheap, because it wouldn't be for audiophiles...
rolleyes.gif

Then you have this pro headphone amps with loads of headphone inputs, that are technically speaking very good. They add very little distortion. So what is the deal? They are not good looking amps, but they do the job, and good.

So if you are still looking for a cheap SS amp (that doesn't get over the 400$ mark), you should try some Pro headphone amps. What you are basically paying for in those >$400 SS amps are looks, expensive materials, looks and not much.

I'm new to the audio scene so please excuse my ignorance.

I am looking for a headphone amp with 2 headphone inputs. What's available that sound near/as good as the Compass I currently have. Budget up to $350. I tried using a headphone splitter with the Compass but the sound quality just doesn't sound right. I tried to pair up similar impedence headphones: Senn HD650 / Beyer DT880 and Audio Technica A/AD700 but was disappointed with the result, especially with the better pairs. Does the quality of the headphone splitter play a sigfinicant role in this? I was using a 'standard' quality headphone splitter.

I am also looking for recommendation for a headphone amp/speakers amp in the $600-$800 budget range...lower is even better. Is there a technical name for a headphone amp/ speaker amp combo ?...this will allow me to better search for reviews etc..

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 14
No, the quality of the splitter itself (the hardware) has nothing to do with whab happened. What you did was divide the power output of the amp. You could use a cryo-treated sterling silver splitter powdercoated with magic fairy dust and blessed by virgin monks in Tibet, and you'd still be dividing the output. There's more going on electrically when you divide the output, but you hear why low power makes headphones sound lousy - the same reason I'm not much into portables or soundcards.

Anyhow, if you want to run two headphones simultaneously from an amp, you either need a unit with two separate amps (e.g. the PreSonus Central Station) or one of the pro amps with multiple taps.

As for the price structure... well, you have to spend a few dollars to get the parts. Pull the parts lists for any of the popular DIY projects and price it out at Mouser or Digikey. You'll also be able to see the quantity price breaks at there, in case you want to know if there's a discount for ordering enough to build 10,000 amps. You can only push down prices so far with volume, and you'll see that you're not going to save that much.

Anyhow, if you want quality boards, chips, caps, and resistors, you're going to pay a bit for them.

If you want to listen to headphones and drive speakers on the cheap, keep an eye on vintage receivers and integrated amps. I believe that Audiogon has categories for integrated amps and receivers. That's a good place to brkwse models. If something looks interesting, Google it and read up.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And what are those greater than $400 ss amps that you've heard?

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the quality of the splitter itself (the hardware) has nothing to do with whab happened. What you did was divide the power output of the amp. You could use a cryo-treated sterling silver splitter powdercoated with magic fairy dust and blessed by virgin monks in Tibet, and you'd still be dividing the output. There's more going on electrically when you divide the output, but you hear why low power makes headphones sound lousy - the same reason I'm not much into portables or soundcards.

Anyhow, if you want to run two headphones simultaneously from an amp, you either need a unit with two separate amps (e.g. the PreSonus Central Station) or one of the pro amps with multiple taps.

As for the price structure... well, you have to spend a few dollars to get the parts. Pull the parts lists for any of the popular DIY projects and price it out at Mouser or Digikey. You'll also be able to see the quantity price breaks at there, in case you want to know if there's a discount for ordering enough to build 10,000 amps. You can only push down prices so far with volume, and you'll see that you're not going to save that much.

Anyhow, if you want quality boards, chips, caps, and resistors, you're going to pay a bit for them.

If you want to listen to headphones and drive speakers on the cheap, keep an eye on vintage receivers and integrated amps. I believe that Audiogon has categories for integrated amps and receivers. That's a good place to brkwse models. If something looks interesting, Google it and read up.

Thanks Uncle Erik. Very helpful advice.

I believe Audio-gd's Compass headphone amp/dac is around $330 and their Panther power amp is around $410 so I'm hoping to find an all in one product (headphone amp/dac/speakers amp) out there with comparable quality at a cheaper price....sound logical enough in my head taking into account many people who use headphone amp also listen to loudspeakers and the possibility of cheaper production cost in combining the 3 functions inside a single product?

I have not heard of the sound quality of the Panther but assuming if it's at similar build quality as the Compass than I'll be happy with that.

I'll search over at Audiogon and hopefully find something. Thanks again for the advice Uncle Erik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back