What is with these midranges
Feb 7, 2004 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

PooJou

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
I just took out the woofers/midranges of my set of Infinity RS5000's ( so i could fix the surrounds) and the midrange, has this weird tube thing on it, what does it do exactly?

speakerage06.jpg

speakerage07.jpg

(they look busted, coz they are, they need new surrounds)

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 20
That is the enclosure (or cabinet) for the midrange. It isolates the mid from the woofer, which would otherwise "pump" the midrange in and out, when it moves, due to pressure created in the main cabinet, when the woofer is playing. Without it the two drivers would be coupled together by the air in the woofers enclosure. The midrange needs more air behind it to work right,due to it's lower cutoff frequency, compared to the tweeter. The tube provides that airspace for the midrange. The tweeter accomplishes the same thing, but with a solid back.

Feb 7, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 20
Ah ok. so this is normal is it? - makes sense, i've just never seen something like it before
biggrin.gif
- thanks again, now to get the thing repaired

Feb 8, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 20
What budgie said. They have some tweeters like that too, but not as deep a chamber of course. It's a compromise...I'm sure the midrange would love to have a bigger chamber to play in, but at the same time, you don't want the woofer's vibrations to affect it unduly.

Feb 8, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 20
This drivers looked pretty busted, and in fact they look nothing fancy to me, have you ever think in replace them for a better drivers, instead of reparing them????

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
This drivers looked pretty busted, and in fact they look nothing fancy to me, have you ever think in replace them for a better drivers, instead of reparing them????

The foam surrounds are gone on them, hence the 'looks really crap' look - erm i was THINKING of chucking some newer drivers in them, but like, im no speakerphile :p - and anyway, apparently they are worth repairing as they are - unless you can suggest some drivers?

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 20
www.partsexpress.com but if you can be more specific in size, how many ways, impedance, crossover point, etc....I oculd be more helpful

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 20
Ok, mids are 3" and woofers are 10" or 12" nominal impedance is 6ohm... the other stuff i dunno
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 20
Well unless you want to modify the cabinet, you do not have too many choices in mids of 3" so this is the only one in 3" here

about the woofer there are hundreds, as I'm not familiar with your speaker, I strongly suggest you to contact Paul, in the forum dept on PartsExpress, he may redirect you to the right ones. you may need ot replace also the crossover...

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 20
Hm, i'd say getting a resultant impedance of 8 ohms is REALLY hard. Most mass market receivers can only handle 8 ohm loads safely, but if you look at the ratings of most mass market speakers, they're usually 6 ohms - or worse. It's not an easy task with cheap drivers.

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 20
6 ohm is not difficult, is a combination of some drivers of 4 ohms and other with 8 ohms, but vifa as well have some with 6 ohms RESISTANCE, that should be fine, in your shoes I will choose any DIY three ways kit set of drivers and crossovers and use my same boxes....as I told you maybe Paul has some designs under the table using PartsExpress parts, you will not find better drivers in any other place online, if you find any other retailer, they should carry the same variety at a higher prices....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back