What is up with Etymotic anyway?!?!???
Dec 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vesther

Head-Fier
Went to Fry's Electronics and BOOM!!!

Harmon-Kardon's EP710, EP720, and EP730 were on sale and guess what?

They use the same technology Etymotic Earphones use!!!

What is up with Etymotic licensing their technology to other people anyway?

Why is Etymotic doing this?

EP710: $30-$40 USD
EP720: $50
EP730: $80

They all have the same technology more expensive Etymotic-branded earphones have. The first Etymotic licensee was Altec Lansing with the IM716 and 726 (more expensive than the Ety ER-6i).

Has anyone noticed that Etymotic has licensed their technology to Harmon-Kardon and Altec-Lansing?

I have the Harmon-Kardon EP720 with Etymotic Research technology.

Please share your thoughts about this seemingly blasphemic move by Etymotic.

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 12
90% of manfacturers just slap their badge on the vast choice of products that are already made in China. No R&D whatsoever, manufacturing or tooling cost !

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Trust me, they don't sound anywhere near to the real thing. The drivers are similar (same manufacturer) but they are an inferior design, are tuned differently and the build quality takes a dive (real ety's can take a severe beating).

That doesn't mean they aren't any good. Fantastic value for money, just not a replacement for real Etymotic IEMs.

EK

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 12
its simple really etymotic works alongside harmen karden and altec lansing to produce these earphones that dont mean they are etymotics in disguise.

theres no such thing as etymotic technology, all high end IEM's use balanced armatures which are just tuned in different ways, this dont make them etymotic drivers

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 12
No offense, but I think you should get your fact right first.

First, balanced armature isn't an Etymotic exclusive patent/technology.

Second, Altec Lansing only have iM616 and iM716 two models, no iM726. As other members have pointed out, iM616 sounds pretty close to ER6i, while iM716 sounds closer to ER4P/S (after mod). The thing is, iM716 is actually a new Ety model named ER7 (as printed on the circuit board in the volume pod). They all use balance armature driver developed and manufactured by Ety.

Last, what is so wrong about Ety doing OEM business? AFAIK, they have been OEMing hearing aid for a very long time. They even OEM ER20 for their dealer (mine are branded as Headphonic, Ety's Australia dealer).

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 12
I thought Ety kept their secrets to themselves but I realized that they share their technology secrets with Harmon-Kardon recently (Altec-Lansing I already know). I never expected Etymotic to share their earphone secrets to third-parties.

I've seen a pattern with the Sennheiser CX-300 and the Creative EP630 as they are the same product from this "reference earbud" called "Foster".

I think Etymotic licensing their patents and/or their technology to other parties is unusual, but it would be interesting if Etymotic would start licensing their technology to some of Apple's iPod earphones...

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by 'with Etymotic technology' ?

Are they the same drivers and enclosures? As the ER6 or ER4? For 40 - 80 USD that sounds too good to be true

Virtually...I found out that the EP710 is actually Etymotic's Coil Magnet IEM-based, the EP720 is based on the Etymotic ER-6. Dunno if the EP730 qualifies to be based on the Etymotic ER-4, though, as the ER-4 is supposed to be an audiophile novelty...

The EP710 is said to have an accuracy score higher than that of the EP720!

The EP710 normally retails for $100, the EP720 normally retails for $150, and the EP730 normally retails for $200. I got the EP720 at Fry's for $50.

I think Harman/Kardon worked with Etymotic so that explains why Harman/Kardon's earphones are based on the Etymotic Reference Earphones...

Anyone compared Altec-Lansing's IM 616/716 and Harman/Kardon's EP720/730 with the actual Etymotics?

1216072027a.jpg
1216072027b.jpg

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vesther /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Ety kept their secrets to themselves but I realized that they share their technology secrets with Harmon-Kardon recently (Altec-Lansing I already know). I never expected Etymotic to share their earphone secrets to third-parties.

I've seen a pattern with the Sennheiser CX-300 and the Creative EP630 as they are the same product from this "reference earbud" called "Foster".

I think Etymotic licensing their patents and/or their technology to other parties is unusual, but it would be interesting if Etymotic would start licensing their technology to some of Apple's iPod earphones...

What secret to keep? The design of balanced armature? That patent expired long time ago! Don't you get it? Ety OEM those 'phones for other companies. All Altec Lansing or Harmon-Kardon did is asking Ety to print their brand on the 'phones (that Ety designed and built). The same goes for Foster, which makes headphones and sell it to other companies like Senn. and AKG.

Do you actually think AL or H/K make those IEMs based on Ety patent/technology/whatever? NO. They get the finish product from Ety and rebrand them before sell. This is how OEM works.

I will suggest you do some search first, all of these has been discussed on various iM616/716 related thread.

*BTW, Apple has been already selling ER6i on their website for quite some time now, so there is no need for 'licensing' what so ever.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 12
Faruda has been licensing their technology for years. Not all of it. Usually older designs that no one else is doing.

You never tip your hand as a retailer and send out the best. I'm sure Etymotic knows what they're doing.

Hell... go out and buy each of their phones and do a huge listening test. I'm sure you'll be able to hear the difference.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 12
I was caught off-guard when I saw a pair of Harman Earphones OEM'ed by Etymotic. That is why I started this thread. The only Ety OEM-ee I knew prior to this thread was obviously Altec-Lansing.

At first I thought Etymotic was acting without thinking by OEM'ing their earphones to Altec-Lansing then recently Harman/Kardon, but now I understand the whole point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back