What is the value in modern dance-pop music?
May 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 34
But we're trying to understand why one likes it. To say it's fun because you like it is kind of circular logic. We're trying to understand the science behind it.

Quote:
I think I'm one of the very few here that actually likes/primarily listens to the modern mainstream top40 stuff. I just can't explain it, I don't even know why I like the stuff, I guess I'm used to it or something?
The only thing I can say is that the actual 'content' of the music is irrelevant to the amount of enjoyment I get listening. I couldn't care less if the lyrics were about drugs and rape, or if the melody is full of mindless repetition.
It's fun because I like it, it's got nothing to do with meaning and effect (which in the eyes of many here, would be 'questionable' at best ahahah).

I'm pretty much the opposite to you guys, I personally hear the mainstream audiophile classical/jazz stuff as meaningless drivel =P
Oh well, whatever brings a smile to your face eh?

May 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 34

Quote:
Tell me like 5 or so american dance or electro-pop songs and I might be able to compare. The ones I listed above are all very "similar" and the sound I'm looking for in dance songs mostly with various melodies/tunes and lyrics but otherwise they are quite similar idd but this is exactly the kind of dance and electro-pop songs I prefer, I yet haven't found any american artists that I could enjoy in this genre which isn't weird as dance music has been so much bigger genre in europe, especially Belgium have had several big dance artists.

As far I can tell the tune/melody is the most important for me, I barely make note  to the lyrics, the most important is that there's some lyrics there which is like a "third" instrument along with the melodies and the bass, not what's been sung. xD

EDIT: Actually I might like few Katy Perry songs, "Pearl", "Not Like the Movies" and "Firework" are quite ok, the rest are pretty meh though. This is typical pop songs in my ears though.

A few examples of what I'm talking about:
Ke$ha - We R Who We R - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q97c5szTgIA
Flo Rida - Club Can't Handle Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgM3r8xKfGE
Akon - Smack That - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDdT_nyP54

I'm interested in discussing similar genres as well, though, including Europop and any other club/dance music.

Quote:
I've never heard of dance pop, but I'll use Europop. Both Europop and Funk evolved in the 90's from Chicago House (classic house) Classic house evolved from soul, disco, jazz, hip hop, the list keeps going. The sound has been there for decades, House just made it "groove-centric" (this is what I remember from a guy named Ishkur).
Funk has evolved from it to have genres like Jazz House, Funk House (redundant name), Disco House, Latin House, and French House. 
Europop doesn't necessarily mean it only is in Europe. JPop also is in this genre. 

This is all coming from memory. I would highly suggest looking at Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music, though it hasn't been updated since...god 2002? http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
I do think some posters here are confusing EDM with modern dance/pop. The OP is propably writing something about chart pop (Kesha, britney spears, bruno mars, beyonce etc.) whilst some of the reactions are defensive to quality EDM which are two entirely different things.

OT:
The lyrics should be easy to understand and a lot of people should be able to relate to the lyrics, ie. clubbing, love and school.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I guess I am talking about "chart pop," the stuff that typically ranks on iTunes, which is usually the same music played in west-coast American dance clubs and venues. (But being 17 years old, my experience with nightclubs is still rather limited.) Can you expand on the differences between chart pop and EDM? They both seem like electronic, dance-oriented music to me. One notable difference, I suppose, is the lyrical de-emphasis in EDM (and Europop?) which seems to focus more on the beats and synthesizers. American dance-chart-pop has much less variation in rhythm within a single song. Am I on target?

Quote:
I think I'm one of the very few here that actually likes/primarily listens to the modern mainstream top40 stuff. I just can't explain it, I don't even know why I like the stuff, I guess I'm used to it or something?
The only thing I can say is that the actual 'content' of the music is irrelevant to the amount of enjoyment I get listening. I couldn't care less if the lyrics were about drugs and rape, or if the melody is full of mindless repetition.
It's fun because I like it, it's got nothing to do with meaning and effect (which in the eyes of many here, would be 'questionable' at best ahahah).

I'm pretty much the opposite to you guys, I personally hear the mainstream audiophile classical/jazz stuff as meaningless drivel =P
Oh well, whatever brings a smile to your face eh?

I can relate with becoming accustomed to certain kinds of music. Growing up, my friends and I listened to screamo rock, and even if I don't really like the music itself anymore, I can appreciate the sense of nostalgia it brings. You bring up an interesting point about how enjoyment doesn't come from lyrics. Can you identify where the enjoyment comes from, then? What emotions do you feel when you put on a specific song? That's what I mean by "meaning and effect"!

May 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 34
Hehe. I guess you aren't a huge fan, but what's "fun" about the music, if you don't mind me asking?

(You've got no idea how hard it is to find a diehard dance pop fan who's intelligent enough to sufficiently explain why they like the music.
triportsad.gif
)

After a few drinks, lots of things seem like a good idea.

Get me properly liquored up and I'll do the Macarena.

May 23, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 34
Chart pop is a subgenre of EDM (electronic dance music, or just electronic). The main difference in the two is that EDM also has a lot of different styles in it that are miles away from the chart pop you're used to. For instance these songs fit in to EDM but not into chart pop:

And one can go on and on. It's like the relationship between progressive rock and rock. Yes, progressive rock is rock, but not all rock is progressive rock.

@Erik C
Propably not because a lot of fans of the genre aren't old enough to go to clubs, and only listen to it on the radio. It is the music that is the most present in our world so one can grow accustomed to it faster than one can grow accustomed to other genres because of the abundancy of airtime.

May 23, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:
But we're trying to understand why one likes it. To say it's fun because you like it is kind of circular logic. We're trying to understand the science behind it.

Ahahhaah I see, well, good luck trying to break it down scientifically
tongue.gif

Quote:
I can relate with becoming accustomed to certain kinds of music. Growing up, my friends and I listened to screamo rock, and even if I don't really like the music itself anymore, I can appreciate the sense of nostalgia it brings. You bring up an interesting point about how enjoyment doesn't come from lyrics. Can you identify where the enjoyment comes from, then? What emotions do you feel when you put on a specific song? That's what I mean by "meaning and effect"!

At the end of the day, it's just 'sounds', so it's really no different from any other music to be honest.
I reckon it's up to the perspective and interpretation of the listener to allow the sounds we hear to become 'music', which is supposed to be some kind of pathway to the expression/emotion of the artist and all that pizzazz.
And from that, we get enjoyment, kind of a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that 'you are on the same page' as the artist, ahahahahahahah.
Whether it's the delightful singing of a stradivarius violin, or some very very naughty words being spoken by a gansta in tha' hood, the final destination strangely seems to have nothing to do with the actual sounds.
That's kind of explains how each and every one of us can listen to completely different kinds of music, but fascinatingly, the enjoyment we feel is all the same.
Sorry mate, that's the best I could come up with
tongue_smile.gif

Come on guys, music is supposed to be some kind of art(?), much like how you can't exactly explain 'why' a certain painting 'moves you', even though it's really just a bunch of paintbrush strokes on some paper in the end.

May 23, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #22 of 34

Quote:

One possibility may be personal background/experience/memory in my case. As a anime lover, huge portion of my playlist is filled with anime related songs and osts, I think most likely those are not only just 'sounds' to me.

I do agree with deadlylover as I see none numerical parameter to measure 'goodness' of a music, i.e. I see nowhere for science talk to begin with..

May 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #23 of 34

Quote:
That's kind of explains how each and every one of us can listen to completely different kinds of music, but fascinatingly, the enjoyment we feel is all the same.
tongue_smile.gif

But what still needs to be explained is why some forms of music are more popular than others.

May 23, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the responses so far! I've compiled a short list of the traits commonly associated with music from this genre:
-Heavy use of synthesizers and drum machines, sometimes with repetitive vocal harmony;
-Vamped chords;
-Dance-able beats, sometimes with syncopation;
-Upbeat or four-on-the-floor (4/4 time) rhythm;
-Repetitive melody;
-Simple, shallow lyrics (or am I missing something?)
I am wondering how each of these traits impacts a listener? Are there specific emotional responses brought on by the music?

I've also noticed a prevalence of modal harmony, often switching between Ionian/Aeolian (major/minor). In "Words" for example (first video link), the synthesized harmonic progression seems to be: c-minor --> c-minor 6/4 --> common chord --> tonic 6/4, dominant V (b-flat), tonic (e-flat). Can anyone comment on how common this is or why it is repeated, with minimal variation, throughout the entire song?

Another question: what is the historical significance of dance pop? How does it relate to other "dance" genres such as funk or disco?

@RPGWiZaRD, excuse my ignorance, but I could use a point of clarification -- what are the differences between Euro dance-pop and American dance-pop? What makes good dance good and bad dance bad? I'm very curious about this because to my untrained ear, they sound quite similar.

Your words are the deepest consideration I have ever read on the subject.  But I haven't read up much on it tbh.  My thoughts on the hi-lighted would be that all the useful melodies and repetitive chord progressions (riffz) in music have already been used in other music, so it logically follows that modern 'pop' music does not have the intelligent creativity to come up with anything original at all, ever again.  And thus the progression you have illustrated in a weird fleshy-coloured font 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 has been mathematically deduced to be the most suitable mode to see out the currently evolved status of commonly evolved human musical intelligence, of the "lowest common denominator" etc..

That's my drunken rant for tonight.  Remind me, Unkle Erik to never take you anywhere.

May 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
A few examples of what I'm talking about:
Ke$ha - We R Who We R - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q97c5szTgIA
Flo Rida - Club Can't Handle Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgM3r8xKfGE
Akon - Smack That - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDdT_nyP54

I'm interested in discussing similar genres as well, though, including Europop and any other club/dance music.

Ke$ha is far from the eurodance I linked to, first there's no proper enjoyable melody/tune, just a random mess, the voice of Ke$ha is IMO annoying and doesn't contribute anything to the music, the music is more simple and doesn't stick to any solid construction.

The 2nd and 3rd I don't know what kind of genre to classify it even, dance or pop songs doesn't contain rap in europe. The 3rd I'd classify more like rap than dance or pop. 

May 24, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
Perhaps fans of the genre(s) enjoy it because they hear it in a club first, and enjoy the experience of being in a club. Therefore it's approval by association?

Plausible, but in my opinion someone who has their earliest and/or most meaningful musical experience in a club is either:

a) too young to be in the club;

or,

b) a person who was deprived of joy as a child.
triportsad.gif

Quote:
Chart pop is a subgenre of EDM (electronic dance music, or just electronic). The main difference in the two is that EDM also has a lot of different styles in it that are miles away from the chart pop you're used to. For instance these songs fit in to EDM but not into chart pop:

And one can go on and on. It's like the relationship between progressive rock and rock. Yes, progressive rock is rock, but not all rock is progressive rock.

@Erik C
Propably not because a lot of fans of the genre aren't old enough to go to clubs, and only listen to it on the radio. It is the music that is the most present in our world so one can grow accustomed to it faster than one can grow accustomed to other genres because of the abundancy of airtime.

Thank you for that clarification. I am curious about your logic here too -- are you saying that popular music is a sort of "catch-22," wherein music is popularized because it is played on the radio, and also played on the radio because it is popular? Or is there some innate characteristic of the music that makes it popular in the first place?

Quote:
Ahahhaah I see, well, good luck trying to break it down scientifically
tongue.gif

At the end of the day, it's just 'sounds', so it's really no different from any other music to be honest.
I reckon it's up to the perspective and interpretation of the listener to allow the sounds we hear to become 'music', which is supposed to be some kind of pathway to the expression/emotion of the artist and all that pizzazz.
And from that, we get enjoyment, kind of a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that 'you are on the same page' as the artist, ahahahahahahah.
Whether it's the delightful singing of a stradivarius violin, or some very very naughty words being spoken by a gansta in tha' hood, the final destination strangely seems to have nothing to do with the actual sounds.
tongue_smile.gif

Come on guys, music is supposed to be some kind of art(?), much like how you can't exactly explain 'why' a certain painting 'moves you', even though it's really just a bunch of paintbrush strokes on some paper in the end.

I completely agree. Music IS art, my favorite form of it, I might add.
L3000.gif
I love how you said it! (bolded text). But I still think there are ways to analytically discuss music. Maybe a better way to think about it would be to ask yourself how you'd feel if any single aspect of the music was removed. I noticed earlier you mentioned that you don't care precisely what the lyrics are. But how would you feel if a female vocalist was replaced by a male singer, or if the lyrics consisted entirely of "na na ba ba" repeated sixty times? What if one of the instruments in a song was removed? What if cowbell was added? Or what if the song was played an octave higher than the original recording? It may be difficult to imagine each of these scenarios given that you already know the songs you love.

Have you ever listened to a remix of a song that you already knew? What was different about the remixed version and how did that impact you differently? I'm interested in specific emotions (simple or complex), mental associations or cultural references, reminders of or ties to personal experiences, etc.

Quote:
One possibility may be personal background/experience/memory in my case. As a anime lover, huge portion of my playlist is filled with anime related songs and osts, I think most likely those are not only just 'sounds' to me.

I do agree with deadlylover as I see none numerical parameter to measure 'goodness' of a music, i.e. I see nowhere for science talk to begin with..

I don't want to argue about the "goodness" or "badness" of music, simply discuss what aspects of the music impact people and how they are able to do so. It's not scientific by any means; it's meant to be a personal, informal, and subjective evaluation. An example might be, "Artist X's lyrics in song Y make me feel emotion Z because they pay tribute to the naivete of American youth yet recognize how unrestrained freedom can also be dangerous," or something along those lines. I hope I've cleared things up a little!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Your words are the deepest consideration I have ever read on the subject.  But I haven't read up much on it tbh.  My thoughts on the hi-lighted would be that all the useful melodies and repetitive chord progressions (riffz) in music have already been used in other music, so it logically follows that modern 'pop' music does not have the intelligent creativity to come up with anything original at all, ever again.  And thus the progression you have illustrated in a weird fleshy-coloured font 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 has been mathematically deduced to be the most suitable mode to see out the currently evolved status of commonly evolved human musical intelligence, of the "lowest common denominator" etc..

That's my drunken rant for tonight.  Remind me, Unkle Erik to never take you anywhere.

Hehe, I've primarily browsed Wikipedia and Pandora Radio. Nothing too deep (yet)! I don't think that all the "useful melodies" have already been used, simply because individual notions about what constitutes a "useful melody" differ so widely. That's not to say that certain melodic/harmonic progressions are repeatedly used, even to the point of overuse. So I guess what you are saying is that modern pop appeals to listeners because it targets familiar chords and note progressions? Is that correct? Maybe the question about whether pop artists actually have creativity is moot, because if one buys into the idea that art is intentional, then it follows that many artists simply don't want to inject creativity into that particular aspect of their music. After all, if all music was unique in every aspect... well, it wouldn't be very enjoyable, would it?
wink.gif
When all's said and done, I don't want to chew up music like some kind of mathematical machine and spit out lifeless analysis, but I am interested to know what drives the fan-dom.

Quote:
Ke$ha is far from the eurodance I linked to, first there's no proper enjoyable melody/tune, just a random mess, the voice of Ke$ha is IMO annoying and doesn't contribute anything to the music, the music is more simple and doesn't stick to any solid construction.

The 2nd and 3rd I don't know what kind of genre to classify it even, dance or pop songs doesn't contain rap in europe. The 3rd I'd classify more like rap than dance or pop. 

I see! I was thinking something similar. The lack of a melody (in Ke$ha's music, anyway) is surprisingly obvious, and I can't believe I didn't notice that before. When you say the music is "simple," how do you mean? American dance-chart-pop seems to focus on simple harmonic repetition while emphasizing the lyrics and lyrical presentation. Eurodance, on the other hand, is more complex on the synthetic-instrumental front, while the lyrics (to me) almost bounce off my skull.

Despite their musical differences, I also think it's important to recognize their similarities. So I ask you, how does Eurodance music make you feel? Does it bring cultural connotations to mind (e.g., what emotions are commonly associated with this sort of music?) and how/why did those connotations form?

May 24, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 34
Thursday,Ynoskire:
Ah I see. Sorry, I'd assumed the genre(s) in question were like the kind of music played at club, since it was called "dance".

Thursday: liking a genre needn't mean it was a person's first and/or most meaningful exposure to music, no?

May 24, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #28 of 34
Doesn't matter, we're all here to learn.

"Thank you for that clarification. I am curious about your logic here too -- are you saying that popular music is a sort of "catch-22," wherein music is popularized because it is played on the radio, and also played on the radio because it is popular? Or is there some innate characteristic of the music that makes it popular in the first place?"
Yup, I actually know a singer who is trying to break through in the mainstream audience (Jenny Lane, although I don't like her music in particular
tongue.gif
I'd have to say that she does have talent in singing), she's constantly negotiating with radiostations for airtime. Getting your music played on major radiostations requires good cont(r)acts.

May 24, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #29 of 34
Many of them have pointless repeating lyrics.
Often sentence is half baked and repeated in lyrics.
Then there are so called voices - not words - and again repeated 10x in row.
That music i don't like.

There is also good modern music with message and good rhythm.
But i find good songs from radio to be the older ones and the new tracks are most garbage.
So i get CD's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back