What is THE universal player
Jun 17, 2004 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Scholarlymonk

Head-Fier
What is the best universal player DVD that is either out or coming out?
I heard the Pioneer 563a was the one to get, but I also hear they have a new one on the way?
Please respound with suggestions and help.

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 8
First, what is your definition for this "THE Universal Player?"

Second, I would suggest you hold on to your wallet. We are witnessing a lot of different manufacturers introducing more universal players at all price categories in the latter half of 2004. There will be a flood of new players from as little as $150 up to $11,000 USD hitting the market in the next few weeks and months. So, I highly recommend you wait and research. When the Head-Fi moderators make the hardware upgrades to this site successful, I would do a thorough search for universal players in this specific forum. If you want more immediate research information, then please go to http://www.avsforum.com and http://www.videogon.com . Then, try searches for more home theater discussion forums including Stereophile's Guide to Home Theater.

Third, what is your budget? Can you work and save more money if you decide to wait and research more information about universal players?

Since I believe the source component is of critical importance, I would recommend you consider budgeting up to 50% of your total budget on your new universal player.

Right now, the hottest universal player is the upcoming Denon DVD 5910. It has all of the features of the Denon DVD 5900 plus firmware patches along with HDMI and a few other things I can't remember right now. It should cost $2,000 USD. That is the one to look out for and to beat.

If you want something more affordable, then you can choose the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. It has all of the key features: HDMI, DVD-Video with a 14bit 216MHz T-REX video DAC with an internal video upscaler to 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i. It also has three Burr Brown 24bit/192KHz audio DACs, SA-CD, DVD-Audio, and Red Book CD support. It has HiBit and Legato PRO which upsample 16-20bit RBCDs to 24bit/176.4 or 192KHz with four custom filters. It also has two IEEE1394 ports so you can pass the digital DVD-Audio / SA-CD content to an approved Pioneer Elite receiver (or any other receiver with a IEEE1394 port). If you connect it via HDMI, then you have 14 options to customize and tailor the video settings. The DV-59AVi does not convert Pure DSD signal to PCM and I know because my ears confirm it. As The Absolute Sound has said, "the proof is in the listening." This universal player is like a computer and I own it. I will mod it by the end of this summer through ModWright LLC: Pioneer Standalone Multi-Channel Mod with AD8065/8066 op-amps, Level II Transport Mod, Power Supply Mod, and LC Audio SuperClock X03 with Clock Supply Mod. I got the money but I don't have a full-time career as I just graduated from college and I am looking. So, no expensive purchases until I secure my career. I'll be writing a review of the stock DV-59AVi by the end of this summer and another one of the modded unit by the end of this year. It weighs under 13 pounds. It retails for $1600 MSRP but I got mine for under $1000 including FedEx Ground Shipping. Also, the DV-59AVi plays back both DVD + R/RW and DVD -R/RW formats. I tested it using my Plextor PX-708UF DVD / CD-RW drive and some DVD + / - R/RW discs.

Then, there is the Denon DVD 2900. It is a great universal player but it does SA-CD poorly. It is built like a tank and weighs about 17.5 pounds. It plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, and SA-CD along with RBCD. It sounds a bit dry and sterile and it lacks HDMI. However, it has a 12bit 108MHz video DAC and component outs. Also, it plays DVD-Audio very well but not SA-CD because it converts the Pure DSD signal to PCM despite its advertising claim to the contrary. The transport mechanism seems solid and the disc platter is specially manufactured to cut down on refraction / reflections. You can get it used for well under $1000 USD including shipping. It too can be modded but the mods would cost you more than the MSRP of the unit itself. ServingInEcuador owns an eXemplar Audio Denon DVD 2900 and you should talk to him about it.

I'll address any questions you have about the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi through private messages or in this thread if you want to take me up on my offer.

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 8
Possibly the Linn Unidisk Players - 1.1, 2.1 & the new SC. Each disc format is decoded in its native format, with the other processors shut down. It's supposed to be pitch accurate, with an advanced switchmode low noise power supply.

Regards.

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 8
Teac Esoteric UX1 and Linn Unidisk 1.1 probably are the hottest candidates at present.

peacesign.gif

Jun 20, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 8
LINN Unidisk 1.1 simply the best.
there was one display piece in the store I heard and even the staff was scared of touching it cos it cost $20,000 and It sounds like one too.
Now if I only had the money.

Jun 20, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 8
I think you guys just scared scholarlymonk away.

Remember... you're supposed to lure him in slowly. Make sure you have a good bite before you pounce on him.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
I think you guys just scared scholarlymonk away.

Remember... you're supposed to lure him in slowly. Make sure you have a good bite before you pounce on him.
biggrin.gif

Hahaha LOL!!! That was funny. I think he was scared away too.. He asks for TEH Universal player, and people start mentioning the uber costly players costing 20grand..
smily_headphones1.gif
People should have noticed his post count, and that the player he mentioned as a reference is the Pioneer 563A.. That should have given a reference of what players to suggest to him at that price range..
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess he should follow Welly Wu's recommendations..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back