What is the Ultimate Setup Under $1000
Jun 29, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

meesha

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I am ready to make a big jump.
I was wondering what you think is the best set up bought under $1000.

I am tired of buying mid priced phones only to be wanting more. I hope to achieve my personal apex with this.

Should include amp as well.

Already tried...dt770, v6, sr60, e2, a500 and various other little things.

You should include a portable version and home version...

Lets hear it....Bass and soundstage and energy required

thanks!

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 26
I don't know what kind of source you have, but I really like my home setup which is:

1212m/Gilmore Lite/SR225

Gilmore Lite is $300 with the generic PS/$500 with dedicated power supply, SR225 brand new is $200.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by meesha
I am tired of buying mid priced phones only to be wanting more. I hope to achieve my personal apex with this.

Well, meesha, you may be butting your head against the wall on this. I, too, started my head-fi journey a little over six months ago looking for the single pen-ultimate can. But lately, I've come to the realization (and posts by many senior head-fiers bear this out) that there is no one can that will do it all because sound signatures of the various manufacturers' cans are so different. It's really apples and oranges -- why stick to one when you can enjoy both for different reasons?

I'm sure everyone has a favorite can, but I don't think anyone listens to one headphone exclusively.

So, my soul is at peace. I've changed my approach, and I'm now more about discovering and accumulating headphones with signature sounds of the respective companies. I'm having a blast rotating the few cans I have now.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 26
No case of upgradeitus?
280smile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 26
Yeah there really isn't a sub-$1000 setup that is the end-all to headphone audio. I can guarantee that every single post you get will be something different. You really have to try out each flavor that's available to find what you really like. Some get it on the first try, while others have been searching for that ultimate setup for years.

You can certainly whiddle down your choices by buying equipment that compliments your music tastes, budget, headphone style of choice (open/closed) etc... But the only way to land that perfect setup is to listen to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 26
Please don't say Ill be searching for the holy grail forever!

So what would you buy for $1000 to have all the bases covered...

I already own sr60, portapro, e2, a500, v6...
No amp though.

Anything else I should add to my rotation that will aleast stop me from feeling unfufilled.

Maybe the multiple approach is the best?

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 26
Step 1: Organize a US Group Buy for the Eastsound CD-E5 so that you can get it for $625 USD shipped along with a free high end power cable.

Step 2: Z-audio Lambda for $178 shipped. [Havent heard it, but it should be pretty damn good for the price, can double as portable and home amp from the looks of things and you can always upgrade in the future.]

Step 3: AKG K501 for $199 shipped from Headroom, less with the Head-Fi discount. Get a pair of Sennheiser HD 201's for isolation/portability while you are there as well if you can swing the extra $19.

Assuming you have a portable CD player or MP3 player with a line out you would then have killer portable setup as well.

EDIT: Only problem here is no cables... you would have to use whatever you have lying around until you could afford a decent IC. [depending on how many people you get in on the group buy, you might be able to sweet talk some free interconnects out of the deal as well]

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 26
Portable-

5G 60Gig Ipod - $399.

SR71 - $400.

Used SR225. $150.

Sik imp/Din or whatever they call it now with the male mini line out for the Ipod - add a cheap protective case here for the ipod like a podskinz. and a cheapo bag.- $50.

two 9V from that guy in the subway - $1

Exactly $1000! Congrats!

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 26
I would recommend the Sennheiser HD650 or 600 (use the stock cable), a used HeadAmp Gilmore (at $300ish or less), and whatever decent standalone CD or DVD player (used) you can get for the remainder, if you don't already have a usable source. That should have you covered with good performance over all musical genres.

Edit: didn't read the part about portable. whoops - nevermind my post.

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 26
HOw about a different approach.
What can I get for 1000.

Must include, amp, canal phones, open headphones and closed headphones.

And whatever else you can throw in....

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 26
My shaddy answer:

D-Z555 + SuperMacro3 + Zu mini mini + ER4s
300 + 300 + 25 + 250

Plus D-ej01 for portable usage.

Surely the price somewhat depends on your furtune.

I recommend er4s and SM3 because they can both be used as home as well as portable purpose.

And to me, the sound is terrific...

etysmile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 26
For portable I'd say one of the hifi iRiver or iAudio players. Some iAudio models are supposed to have terrific line and/or headphone outs, even better than the iRivers, which are much better than iPods. Or perhaps a Rio Karma, but those are out of date and offer few practical features over the newer iRivers or iAudio players.

For headphones, the Etymotic ER-4P, Shure E4c or E5c, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro or middle road custom IEMs.

For an amp, not all canalphones need it. I don't think the ER-4P benefit from an amp much at all, but the ER-4S do (which are just the ER-4P with 75 ohm resistors inline). I'm not a fan of portable amps because I don't like the extra bulk, but if you don't mind belt clips or have shorts/pants with the proper pockets for holding them snugly (especially those special geek clothes with pockets for devices all over), then it might be a good idea. I've heard great things about the SR-71 and the Supermacro. You could always make or buy a MINT or PIMETA but those aren't going to be as small or sound as good as the others I would think.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 26
Portable:

Any cheap portable CDP ($100) and UE-10 or Sensas (only heard the UE-10, but they are amazing).

Home:

Any cheap portable CDP ($100) and UE-10 or Sensas.

OR

MS-2i used + recabled, Supermacro V3 used w/AD797, and used NAD C-542.

Actually, I'd probably still take the UE-10/Sensas...

-Matt

Jun 29, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 26
look at some of the thread above.... i wonder what are those MP3 players doing in the Ultimate Setup?
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back