What is the successor of the CD???
Apr 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #76 of 88

Far off in the future?

It's the present -- all the TV shows I watched are streamed. All the movies I watched are streamed.  Most of the video games I play have a cloud component. 2/3 of the music I listen to is streamed.

I still think it's quite a ways off before everything is pretty much on-line/cloud. Technology still has to get to the point where it is pointless, for the masses, to have even hard drives per se to store all one's media. It's going to come. I dunno what the time frame could be. Maybe 15-20 years for things to get to that point? Maybe more maybe less? Plus I think it's all going to happen so gradual that it feels just like a natural progression, and most people won't really question it.
sounds pretty much like sci fi coming true.

Just watch out for that EMP though

Considering the technology that's coming out is way more advanced and has way more functionality than even sci fi writers imagined things would be, I think the long term future is going to be beyond much of sci fi. Not all of it though.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #77 of 88

I still think it's quite a ways off before everything is pretty much on-line/cloud. Technology still has to get to the point where it is pointless, for the masses, to have even hard drives per se to store all one's media. It's going to come. I dunno what the time frame could be. Maybe 15-20 years for things to get to that point? Maybe more maybe less? Plus I think it's all going to happen so gradual that it feels just like a natural progression, and most people won't really question it.
Considering the technology that's coming out is way more advanced and has way more functionality than even sci fi writers imagined things would be, I think the long term future is going to be beyond much of sci fi. Not all of it though.

All the local storage I have (phone, laptop HD, NAS, etc) are either temporary storage places for stuff that will be uploaded to the cloud or backups for stuff that gets stored in the cloud (NAS).

Media consumption, word processing, spreadsheets, email, etc, all in the cloud.

The only think I use local HD for is music studio editing and taxes.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure, MM can refer to million if you want, but the graph insists on mm, which is millimetres. It's just the kind of error that will decrease my confidence in the data presented.

Yeah, sure, milimeters. Because instead of counting the money that went into the registers like normal, logical human being, they would count instead how high the stack of sold CDs would get, like the music industry's own Tower of Bab(oh schiit I can't discuss that here because forum rules, but suffice to say it's in the first book of a collection of books you can't discuss on Head-Fi for any reason whatsoever, but's it's totally OK if Schiit uses such names from the Edda for its products).

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #79 of 88

I know what you mean
cool.gif

Rewatch Back to the future guys!!!

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #80 of 88

Yeah, sure, milimeters. Because instead of counting the money that went into the registers like normal, logical human being, they would count instead how high the stack of sold CDs would get, like the music industry's own Tower of Bab(oh schiit I can't discuss that here because forum rules, but suffice to say it's in the first book of a collection of books you can't discuss on Head-Fi for any reason whatsoever, but's it's totally OK if Schiit uses such names from the Edda for its products).

I wouldn't put it past them to do it like that. Never read reports where some mega-artists sales are being contextualized by saying that if you stack all the CDs on top of eath other, the total height would be enough to reach to the moon and back again thrice over, or something like that? Granted, millimetres would be a poor choice of a unit in that case, but if you take the information offered in the graph at face value, the unit used is actually millions of millimetres, i.e kilometres.
I'm fully aware I'm being terribly pedantic here, but sloppyness and ambiguities like these irk me. It gives actual good statistics and analysis a bad rep.

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't put it past them to do it like that. Never read reports where some mega-artists sales are being contextualized by saying that if you stack all the CDs on top of eath other, the total height would be enough to reach to the moon and back again thrice over, or something like that? Granted, millimetres would be a poor choice of a unit in that case, but if you take the information offered in the graph at face value, the unit used is actually millions of millimetres, i.e kilometres.
I'm fully aware I'm being terribly pedantic here, but sloppyness and ambiguities like these irk me. It gives actual good statistics and analysis a bad rep.

First off, when they cite that, it's not in total comparative figures, but in some short articles the same way that if you looked at Oscar Meyer financial reports they talk about sales in mass or dollars, not how many times they can line the equator with mystery meat. That last example gets mentioned at, again, some kind of article, not a graph. When it comes to CDs it will either be in revenue in dollars, or units sold. In this case the graph cites units sold.

Second, face value or not, it says right there that the Y-Axis is for sales in millions of units. The normal way to interpret graphs even if you don't take them at face value is to default to the label on the axis, precisely because of such problems with abbreviations, like when somebody gets so pedantic he thinks that a graph is about the CDs stacked on top of each other. 

Third, let's assume for a second that that is actually millimeters. So in 2005 they sold stack of CDs with a height of 602mm of CDs. So...at roughly 1mm thick each they sold 602 units? That's even less believable than taking it at face value at 602,000,000 units. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #82 of 88

May 3, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #84 of 88
When I belonged to brass band, my teacher said "I don't like audio equipment because these change the real sound." But he usually use CDs! I think he accepted CD.
As for me, I use CD and download music. Download music is very easy to get. Most of people listen to the music on iPhone. I think CD is good, but it may disappear in the future.

May 3, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #85 of 88
Streaming.

Sad but true.  People want convenience over quality.  

I would like to see CD-quality lossless downloads offered via iTunes, Google and Amazon; DSD downloads offered by the audiophile labels.  It might happen because record labels will have to keep coming up with new ideas to market their products.  

Physical media is just becoming too much of a hassle for most people.  Just the other day I went to buy Van Halen - 5150 from Amazon on CD.  They wanted $3.99 for the CD, but the shipping was $4.98.  That is ridiculous that the shipping costs more than the CD.  I could go to the big box stores but nobody has the same selection.  Best Buy hardly even stocks its CD shelves outside of new releases.

This is what will lead to the death of the CD imo.  Then there's all the storage space, having to rip the discs to your hard drive.  Most people don't want to deal with that.  I still don't know why anybody buys vinyl either outside of collecting or nostalgia.  It takes up more storage space than a CD and they cost more too. 

But none of this matters because somebody can subscribe to Spotify for free, or one of the many subscription services; and have unlimited music at their fingertips.  All they pay for is the data usage.  

May 7, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #87 of 88

Please no more DSD. If you want hi-res support PCM formats, I beg you.

DSD is a zombie format.

Even the biggest pirate music site knows this and won't support native DSF file exchange because it has no future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back