What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #466 of 865
It's normal. These measurements are a bit different and seam unusual. But right you are - the difference level -26.1dB is an average distortion over two hours of music material, played back through A1749 adapter.

If you notice the color key, it tells you what kind of signal produced what level of distortion. That big peak is square waves. The lesser stuff to the side appears to be triangle waves and some other weird kind of artificial signal. I think the flat stuff is music.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #467 of 865
It's normal. These measurements are a bit different and seam unusual. But right you are - the difference level -26.1dB is an average distortion over two hours of music material, played back through A1749 adapter.

Just call it Apple "dongle" so at least half the planet will know what you're referring to!

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #468 of 865
If you notice the color key, it tells you what kind of signal produced what level of distortion. That big peak is square waves. The lesser stuff to the side appears to be triangle waves and some other weird kind of artificial signal. I think the flat stuff is music.
Hmmm, sorry, why do you think that peaks of the histogram relate to square waves? On the df-slide the square wave signal is distorted to -19.5dB ...

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #469 of 865
I presume that the 4S would sound the same of you used the headphone adaptor?
I said silly good because that is what the difference in sound quality between my iphone 4S and iphone X seems to me.You cannot use the same adapter that comes with iphone X with the iphone 4S. Perhaps there is little to no difference in sound quality between the iphone 6 and 7 and the X (haven't owned the 6 and 7 so I wouldn't know), but for years I was used to the sound quality of iphone 4S, so when I bought the X the difference seemed so good it was silly. It's kinda like the difference in sound quality between a £50 headphone and £150 headphone.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #470 of 865
I must say, i've had an iphone X for nearly a year now and I think the sound quality is nothing short of amazing. .

Same here. I use Hiby R6 daily but I bought Apple's lightning to jack adapter to see if I'm going to hear any differences. I heard none and it was such a pleasent surprise. The only thing that changed was that I had to set much higher volume on XR that on R6 but I was expecting that. I'm back with R6 because I'm kind of scare that Apple's dongle is going to break in my pocket (XR is pretty big) but I'm seriously considering buying iPod Touch just for music and interface experience :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #471 of 865
AppleA1749%40SE.png

They tried to pack too much info into a single chart so maybe I'm reading it wrong. but if you look at the brown square, it says square 1kHz. I'm reading that as being a square wave and the lighter green says triangle. That peak of distortion is all in that range. This chart was not made by a graphic designer, that much is clear!

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #472 of 865
They tried to pack too much info into a single chart so maybe I'm reading it wrong. but if you look at the brown square, it says square 1kHz. I'm reading that as being a square wave and the lighter green says triangle. That peak of distortion is all in that range. This chart was not made by a graphic designer, that much is clear!

I believe you are communicating directly with the audio research engineer that created these.

http://soundexpert.org/authors

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #473 of 865
I said silly good because that is what the difference in sound quality between my iphone 4S and iphone X seems to me.You cannot use the same adapter that comes with iphone X with the iphone 4S. Perhaps there is little to no difference in sound quality between the iphone 6 and 7 and the X (haven't owned the 6 and 7 so I wouldn't know), but for years I was used to the sound quality of iphone 4S, so when I bought the X the difference seemed so good it was silly. It's kinda like the difference in sound quality between a £50 headphone and £150 headphone.
Ah. Didn't realise you couldn't use the dongle with the 4S. I've got the XS Max and am underwhelmed. Different ears. Different folks. All good. I have my Mojo. It makes me happy. No harm done.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #474 of 865

Ah. Didn't realise you couldn't use the dongle with the 4S. I've got the XS Max and am underwhelmed. Different ears. Different folks. All good. I have my Mojo. It makes me happy. No harm done.
Yes indeed. I'm sure the Chord Mojo offers a higher level of sound quality :)
I for one am very impressed by the sound quality of my iphone X. If I had bought a cheaper phone I would've probably additionally bought a Sony Walkman for music listening, however, even though Sony are my favourite electronics company, i'm convinced it would be a downgrade.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #475 of 865
Yes indeed. I'm sure the Chord Mojo offers a higher level of sound quality :)
I for one am very impressed by the sound quality of my iphone X. If I had bought a cheaper phone I would've probably additionally bought a Sony Walkman for music listening, however, even though Sony are my favourite electronics company, i'm convinced it would be a downgrade.
Cool. As it happens I have never liked Sony products! I would never encourage anyone to spend money on anything, particularly if they are happy with what they have. I respect Bigshots knowledge enormously. I can only go by my own experience and continue to lug the flaming Mojo around! Enjoy your music. :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #476 of 865
Cool. As it happens I have never liked Sony products! I would never encourage anyone to spend money on anything, particularly if they are happy with what they have. I respect Bigshots knowledge enormously. I can only go by my own experience and continue to lug the flaming Mojo around! Enjoy your music. :)

His knowledge?! about what?!

Okay then.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #477 of 865
I wonder what company made the Dac inside the earlier iphones. Cirrus Logic are the company that make the Dac in the current usb to 3.5mm adapters for iphone X. Cirrus Logic are the same company that Marantz used for the Dac of the headphone output of their PM5005 CD player. Interesting. It would be great to know the exact model/chip name/number of the Dac inside apples usb to 3.5mm adapter to see if it's the same one as the one found in the Marantz CD player. i doubt Apple will ever release that information though.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #478 of 865
Ok, I got your logic. The idea was to show different df-measurements located on df-scale. As I'm not sure I did it the best possible way, your feedback is helpful, thanks. Here is a single picture guide “How to read df-slides”:

htr-df-slide.svg

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #479 of 865
I wonder what company made the Dac inside the earlier iphones. Cirrus Logic are the company that make the Dac in the current usb to 3.5mm adapters for iphone X. Cirrus Logic are the same company that Marantz used for the Dac of the headphone output of their PM5005 CD player. Interesting. It would be great to know the exact model/chip name/number of the Dac inside apples usb to 3.5mm adapter to see if it's the same one as the one found in the Marantz CD player. i doubt Apple will ever release that information though.

Google “iPhone vvv teardown” where vvv is the iPhone version and you should find the info.

For example, the IPhone 5 uses a 338S1077 Cirrus Logic DAC chip

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5+Teardown/10525

Users who are viewing this thread

Back