What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #391 of 865
I have 2 32gig IPod Touch Generation 6 iPods, use them all the time. I also have a 16gig IPod Touch 5th Generation. I have the original 1st gen Touch from 2005 still as well as have purchased most of the IPods over the years.

What can I say, I love them. They are easy to carry and easy to use. Though most of the time now I use Bluetooth IEMs. But out of curiosity I tested the new dongle by Apple and found it sounded exactly like the output of the iPod Touch. I couldn’t find a difference listening with my best and most resolving IEMs.

That said the Sony 1A and 1Z DAPs will wipe the floor with the Touch. It’s simply no comparison and much like the increase in sound quality you get by plugging into a top level home desktop system. Added the extra power by going balanced and it’s a whole new world, along with way more storage too. Obviously they cost way more too. :)

Still I think the IPod Touch is the best form factor and size. I surf online with em all the time. Simply the most pleasant way to go on Head-Fi. IMO

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #392 of 865
I have the exact same ipod touch, but instead of using itunes, I found using Copytrans more simpler and intuitive. And with the ipod touch, I use a combination of FiiO's L9 (LOD) cable and an older version of Apple's lightning to 30 pin dock connector, which has the dac that gives that Wolfson like sound. So don't completely retire your ipod touch. What you have there is a gem of a device.

I have still had songs randomly fail sync even with CopyTrans so possibly the memory on this iPod is starting to fail. I do like that program better than iTunes. But I just find the FiiO players easier to use. I'm actually thinking about selling this iPod Touch, but might way to see if Apple discontinues it soon and the value will go up like the iPod Classic did.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #393 of 865
I have 2 32gig IPod Touch Generation 6 iPods, use them all the time. I also have a 16gig IPod Touch 5th Generation. I have the original 1st gen Touch from 2005 still as well as have purchased most of the IPods over the years.

What can I say, I love them. They are easy to carry and easy to use. Though most of the time now I use Bluetooth IEMs. But out of curiosity I tested the new dongle by Apple and found it sounded exactly like the output of the iPod Touch. I couldn’t find a difference listening with my best and most resolving IEMs.

That said the Sony 1A and 1Z DAPs will wipe the floor with the Touch. It’s simply no comparison and much like the increase in sound quality you get by plugging into a top level home desktop system. Added the extra power by going balanced and it’s a whole new world, along with way more storage too. Obviously they cost way more too. :)

Still I think the IPod Touch is the best form factor and size. I surf online with em all the time. Simply the most pleasant way to go on Head-Fi. IMO

I hear ya. I love mine too. It's been very reliable these past years. And the iPod feature I like most is the ability to wirelessly airplay my music to my home audio system, which to my ears sounds better than bluetooth. But I too may soon go the IEM/bluetooth route. When I tried out a few low cost bluetooth IEMs, I was quite surprised how not bad they sounded. They definitely can't compare to the best wired IEMs. But they would do for when I want to travel light, do a few quick errands, or be in hot climates. But for active and serious listening, I'll always remain a hard wired IEM traditionalist.:o2smile:

And I'm going to have to try out the new Apple dongle with my setup and see whether or not if I can hear difference. If I don't, that would be great. Then I could just use one cable between the iPod and amplifier instead a combination of two.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #394 of 865
I hear ya. I love mine too. It's been very reliable these past years. And the iPod feature I like most is the ability to wirelessly airplay my music to my home audio system, which to my ears sounds better than bluetooth. But I too may soon go the IEM/bluetooth route. When I tried out a few low cost bluetooth IEMs, I was quite surprised how not bad they sounded. They definitely can't compare to the best wired IEMs. But they would do for when I want to travel light, do a few quick errands, or be in hot climates. But for active and serious listening, I'll always remain a hard wired IEM traditionalist.:o2smile:

And I'm going to have to try out the new Apple dongle with my setup and see whether or not if I can hear difference. If I don't, that would be great. Then I could just use one cable between the iPod and amplifier instead a combination of two.

Honestly, I went and found a pair of special $600 IEMs which stuck way into my ears and blocked out most of the outside noise. The IEMs even came with a sound occlusion factor rating.

After using them for two weeks I decided I could deal with the drop in quality from BT. I just do not like not having wires, plus you still get to use the Touch. But on the positive side, Bluetooth is getting better all the time. It’s just that walking around outside it does not matter if I use better equipment due to not being able to appreciate the sound.

I like these, about $40.
https://www.amazon.com/1MORE-Earphones-Headphones-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B01H7KQ1Q2

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #395 of 865
Honestly, I went and found a pair of special $600 IEMs which stuck way into my ears and blocked out most of the outside noise. The IEMs even came with a sound occlusion factor rating.

After using them for two weeks I decided I could deal with the drop in quality from BT. I just like not having wires, plus you still get to use the Touch. But on the positive side, Bluetooth is getting better all the time. It’s just that walking around outside it does not matter if I use better equipment due to not being able to appreciate the sound.

I like these, about $40.
https://www.amazon.com/1MORE-Earphones-Headphones-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B01H7KQ1Q2

Those BT earphones almost looks like one of the ones I tried out. This one below is one of the BT IEM's I heard.

https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Head...ing/dp/B06Y5GH1GN?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8895353011

For that very cheap price, I was surprised how not bad it sounded. I was actually expecting it to sound like junk, but was impressed. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate them about a 6 or 7. Next I'm going to have to check out the higher priced BT IEM's and see if there's a difference in the BT sound quality. But I can definitely see why most people choose the convenience of BT headphones over wired ones. Just like when most people preferred lossy audio files over lossless audio files. If it's cheaper and more convenient, most people will choose it.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #396 of 865
Those BT earphones almost looks like one of the ones I tried out. This one below is one of the BT IEM's I heard.

https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Head...ing/dp/B06Y5GH1GN?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8895353011

For that very cheap price, I was surprised how not bad it sounded. I was actually expecting it to sound like junk, but was impressed. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate them about a 6 or 7. Next I'm going to have to check out the higher priced BT IEM's and see if there's a difference in the BT sound quality. But I can definitely see why most people choose the convenience of BT headphones over wired ones. Just like when most people preferred lossy audio files over lossless audio files. If it's cheaper and more convenient, most people will choose it.

Well, the ones I posted have pretty good reviews here on Head-Fi. And while they are not perfect they are good for me. The quality is all over the road. But 1More are responsible for a whole range of famous headphones and IEMs here.

Piston
Piston 2
Piston 3
1More Quad Driver
1More Triple Driver

That’s off the top of my head, there is a bunch famous and loved here by them.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #397 of 865

I only have experience with my iPhone 7+, no other portable digital music players. I listen to iTunes from my iPhone via Airport Express using S/PDIF connection to prepro, a circa 1999 Sony TA-E9000ES. My other means to iTunes Library is usb out from laptop to OPPO UDP-205 usb DAC up sampling to 24/192 with analog output going to TA-9000ES. My discovery is either method of iTunes delivery, the wired one or wireless one, seem to get almost indistinguishable results. It's definitely not in my case a whole new level even with AIFF 24/192 material played to the OPPO DAC. Only divergence noticed between players is AAC downloads played to OPPO DAC present more tail end details. In fact I can hear tape splice edits on some 50's and 60's DOO WOP, which I do not hear when playing from iPhone to HT. So, the only higher level performance I can discern seems to exist only when listening to the lowest quality recordings digitized at the lowest bit and bite rates. Interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #398 of 865
I only have experience with my iPhone 7+, no other portable digital music players. I listen to iTunes from my iPhone via Airport Express using S/PDIF connection to prepro, a circa 1999 Sony TA-E9000ES. My other means to iTunes Library is usb out from laptop to OPPO UDP-205 usb DAC up sampling to 24/192 with analog output going to TA-9000ES. My discovery is either method of iTunes delivery, the wired one or wireless one, seem to get almost indistinguishable results. It's definitely not in my case a whole new level even with AIFF 24/192 material played to the OPPO DAC. Only divergence noticed between players is AAC downloads played to OPPO DAC present more tail end details. In fact I can hear tape splice edits on some 50's and 60's DOO WOP, which I do not hear when playing from iPhone to HT. So, the only higher level performance I can discern seems to exist only when listening to the lowest quality recordings digitized at the lowest bit and bite rates. Interesting.

Well it’s maybe very subjective and personal. But remember too, your not listening to the analog output of an iPhone or iPod; that’s the question that this thread is addressing. Thus your getting an enhancement by-passing any analog output.

The title of the thread is questioning the sound quality of the IPhone, IPod, and IPad. So it is probably changing in time. In 2009 more iPods were used by audiophiles. I still really like the output though I now have other choices. Funny too as I have defended the regular outputs for years, probibly in this very thread! The IPod sounds better straight out of the 3.5mm than numerous audiophile DAPs today even now. Though it may be just my opinion after 13 years of listening to Apple devices?

Still my advice to anyone looking to buy a $300 IPod Touch for strictly listening would be; find $400 more and get a used Sony WM 1A. The difference of what they can do is night and day.

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #399 of 865
I have a pile of iPods of all generations, two different iPads, Macs going back to the first AV mac, and three different iPhones from the first to the 6. They all sound exactly the same... they're all audibly transparent.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #400 of 865
I have a pile of iPods of all generations, two different iPads, Macs going back to the first AV mac, and three different iPhones from the first to the 6. They all sound exactly the same... they're all audibly transparent.
I still say that there is a sterility to the sound of the iPhone. Maybe Mojo is simply introducing distortion of some kind. Whatever, IME it makes listening to my music most enjoyable. Happy New Year Bigshot. :)

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #401 of 865
Well it’s maybe very subjective and personal. But remember too, your not listening to the analog output of an iPhone or iPod; that’s the question that this thread is addressing. Thus your getting an enhancement by-passing any analog output.

The title of the thread is questioning the sound quality of the IPhone, IPod, and IPad. So it is probably changing in time. In 2009 more iPods were used by audiophiles. I still really like the output though I now have other choices. Funny too as I have defended the regular outputs for years, probibly in this very thread! The IPod sounds better straight out of the 3.5mm than numerous audiophile DAPs today even now. Though it may be just my opinion after 13 years of listening to Apple devices?

Still my advice to anyone looking to buy a $300 IPod Touch for strictly listening would be; find $400 more and get a used Sony WM 1A. The difference of what they can do is night and day.
"after 13 years", yes, I believe you could come to enjoy the sound as being what the sound should sound like. Some folks do not like digital images because they don't look like what a picture is supposed to look like. They perceive images from film are what pictures are supposed to look like. At any rate, I should have identified my post as a side bar to this topic, since I have almost no experience with Apple DACS other than the rare occasion when my wife makes me use earbuds when listening to music she does not appreciate, like shuffle dance music.

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #402 of 865
Well, the ones I posted have pretty good reviews here on Head-Fi. And while they are not perfect they are good for me. The quality is all over the road. But 1More are responsible for a whole range of famous headphones and IEMs here.

Piston
Piston 2
Piston 3
1More Quad Driver
1More Triple Driver

That’s off the top of my head, there is a bunch famous and loved here by them.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to research more about them. I kind of have my eyes on the 1More Quad Driver as a possible upgrade from my Atrios.
And I've been reading rave reviews about them. The only concern I have is there might be some reliability issues. But I'm going to definitely put them on my list as a potential upgrade.

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #403 of 865
Some folks do not like digital images because they don't look like what a picture is supposed to look like. They perceive images from film are what pictures are supposed to look like.

It's a lot easier to make digital look like film than to make film look like perfectly clean digital. Likewise, it's easier to make digital audio sound like analog than vice versa.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #404 of 865
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to research more about them. I kind of have my eyes on the 1More Quad Driver as a possible upgrade from my Atrios.
And I've been reading rave reviews about them. The only concern I have is there might be some reliability issues. But I'm going to definitely put them on my list as a potential upgrade.

I enjoyed the Triple Drivers but wore them out in the rain and they subsequently failed soon after. I still have two sets of the original Piston 3 IEMs and they have held up.

The only edition available today for sale that I know of is called the Piston 3 Fresh Edition. The Fresh edition is a cheaper style build of the Piston 3 which sells for about $9. The Fresh Edition is nice, but really nothing as fantastic as the Piston 3 original was.

But the original Piston 3 has been sold out for ages. They are built so well I would actually consider getting a used pair. Buying someone’s used $30 IEM is normally an edgy venture, but the Piston 3 IEMs are made well.

After owning the Triple Drivers I would still think they are a deal for today’s regular price of $59. Though you are right some folks do have reliability issues. That is the reason I maybe would not buy the Quad Drivers for $199? The iBfree is about $40 and a great deal too, though it being Bluetooth can’t exactly complete with the Piston 3 for sound quality; though it’s enjoyable.

I have never heard the 1More Quad Drivers, but if I was going to spend $199, I would buy the BGVP DM6. Hands down the DM6 is the best $199 headphone or IEM I have ever owned.

Sorry for being off topic.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #405 of 865

This being the Sound Science forum, you need to back that up with some evidence as it appears to contradict the facts! The facts are: AFAIK, the output of an iPod Touch is flat throughout the spectrum to about +/- 0.2dB, so even if a WM1A does have better performance, it wouldn't be an audibly better performance and certainly not "night and day" better. Finding an extra $400 for an inaudible improvement (assuming there is even an improvement in the first place) would therefore appear to be particularly poor advice. However, the performance of any amp (including the amp section of the iPod output) is determined by the load (HPs), so it is possible the WM 1A might provide an audible improvement with certain HPs, assuming it has higher output voltage and/or lower impedance. If it hasn't, then your advice is incorrect and if it has, then your advice should be conditional (on the individual's load) and NOT aimed at "anyone looking to buy an iPod".

Some folks do not like digital images because they don't look like what a picture is supposed to look like. They perceive images from film are what pictures are supposed to look like

I'm not sure if that analogy is applicable. I don't know the fine details of exactly how digital image capture works but with digital audio we don't really have the equivalent of digital image capture. "Image capture" in digital audio is still analogue, microphone capsules output analogue signals (an electric current), digital audio then just stores that analogue electrical current as digital data. As far as I understand digital image capture, a more accurate analogy would therefore arguably be an image captured on film and then digitised. In which case there is no reason (beyond expectation bias or deliberate artistic intent by the creators) why the pictures would not be perceived how they "are supposed to look like".

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back